Skip to main content

Notice

We are in the process of rolling out a soft launch of the RDA website, which includes a new member platform. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Visitors may encounter functionality issues with group pages, navigation, missing content, broken links, etc. As you explore the new site, please provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Thank you for your understanding and support as we work through all issues as quickly as possible. Stay updated about upcoming features and functionalities: https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/

RE: [regional_engagement] – Financial indicators

• Creator
    Discussion

Juan Bicarregui
    Participant

Resending as it seems the list could not handle the picture. The same graph is on the first sheet of the attachment.
    Juan.
    Sent: 18 September 2018 10:34
    To: ‘JuanBicarregui’; ‘Parsons, Mark’; ‘***@***.***’
    Cc: Ingrid Dillo; Lupo-Petta, Jamie; Hilary Hanahoe; ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: RE: [regional_engagement] – Financial indicators
    Jason and Mark, (and any others interested in looking at financial indicators.)
    Shall we try and have a call before the next group meeting on the 27th?
    The whole group meeting is at 11:00 UTC is that the best time?
    At that time I’m free on Friday 21, Monday 24 or Wednesday 26.
    I’m thinking that there are three types of function we could use for scaling the contribution:
    1. A stepped flat distribution
    2. A polyline linear distribution
    3. A smoothed curve (using logs)
    The chart below has examples of each:
    Of course there are parameters can be varied to change the position of the lines!!
    The attached spreadsheet allows this.
    Personally I don’t like the stepped function although many organisations use this. It seems unfair to me: two contributors of quite different sizes can pay the same, and conversely, two quite similar contributors can pay very different amounts.
    The polyline version solves this while still remaining simple mathematically. It is the sort of function used in income tax calculations (at least in the UK), but this version is regressive rather than progressive (ie the rate is lower for higher contributors). This can of course be changed.
    The Smooth version is the most elegant mathematically, and probably the fairest. But I haven’t seen it used for this kind of thing before. It can be explained with words like “treble the GDP gives double the contribution” (or whatever parameters we choose).
    On balance I think the polyline version is the best of these three. But there may be other possibilities. What do others think?
    Then we just have to pick the parameters!!
    Best regards,
    (Let me know if we can/should have a meeting)
    Juan.
    From: juan.bicarregui=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of JuanBicarregui
    Sent: 14 September 2018 14:49
    To: Hilary Hanahoe; ***@***.***-groups.org
    Cc: Ingrid Dillo; Lupo-Petta, Jamie
    Subject: Re: [regional_engagement] 13 Sept Meeting Notes and updates
    Hilary,
    Thanks for the notes – sorry I couldn’t join you.
    Yes, I’d be happy to run a small group on the financial indicator.
    I’ve noted the next meeting in my diary. Is the intention to have meetings each week at this time?
    Best wishes,
    Juan.
    From: hilary.hanahoe=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Hilary Hanahoe
    Sent: 14 September 2018 14:17
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: [regional_engagement] 13 Sept Meeting Notes and updates
    Dear Regional Engagement Task Force,
    I have created some short notes on yesterday’s call for your records and they are available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w0UD39cfVb6OCR5_xRz5jG-RpVUobzeU7MKo… which is located in the Google Folder.
    Some updates / requests for you all:
    1. Financial Indicators: Juan would you be willing to coordinate a mini group (Jason and Mark perhaps?) to come up with parameters based on GDP that we could use for the annual regional contribution? I merged all the data I have into the excel file in the folder, and from discussions on the last 2 calls, GDP appears to be the most reliable and recognised data source / reference. Please let me know if you could do this and Mark if you are willing to be involved? Jason already expressed willingness on the call yesterday.
    2. Botswana Meeting: I have discussed with Ingrid (Council Co-chair & Council RE liaison) and we propose that the Botswana meeting be focused on presenting a pre-final version of the framework (which includes the governance and financial indicators) to a group of regional representatives so that they could provide feedback to this group for integration in the document and finalisation by the end of 2018.
    3. Next Meeting: there will not be a meeting on Thursday 20th Sept, so please mark in your diaries the next call for 27th Sept at 11 UTC which Ingrid will chair (thank you Ingrid)
    4. Timing: we should aim to finalise documents and frameworks for mid October in order to circulate the pre-final versions to meeting invitees at least 10 days in advance of the Botswana meeting. @Sarah @ Leslie @ Vivian Can you take forward coordinating the finalisation of the RDA Framework document?
    Many thanks to you all for your support and contribution
    Have a lovely weekend
    Hilary
    Link to RE Google Folder https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11ReQJBXCeLAJqIPJj0jkiJLnZtmlkTSC
    ***@***.***
    Twitter: @hilaryhanahoe
    http://www.rd-alliance.org
    Registration is now open for International Data Week (comprising SciDataCon and the 12th RDA Plenary Meeting), 5-8 November 2018, Gaborone, Botswana: register here! Early bird rate until 30 September.
    The information contained in this message and any attachments are intended solely for the attention
    and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
    you are reminded that the information remains the property of the sender.
    You must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.
    If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately
    and irrevocably delete or destroy this message and any copies.

GDPbasedContribModelv01.xlsx

Homepage

• Author
    Replies

Hi Juan,
    Thanks for drafting this. I would like to be part of the discussion but will be busy before the next call due to the RDA-US leadership meeting (among others). I also know Mark is out this week.
    Could we have this as the main agenda item for the 27th?
    Cheers,
    Leslie
    Leslie McIntosh, PhD, MPH
    Executive Director
    Research Data Alliance – US
    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
    Amos Eaton 210
    110 8th Street, Troy, NY 12180
    314.200.5838 (Google voice)
    On Sep 18, 2018, at 05:40, JuanBicarregui wrote:
    Resending as it seems the list could not handle the picture. The same graph is on the first sheet of the attachment.
    Juan.
    To: ‘JuanBicarregui’; ‘Parsons, Mark’; ‘***@***.***
    I’m thinking that there are three types of function we could use for scaling the contribution:

Of course there are parameters can be varied to change the position of the lines!!
    Personally I don’t like the stepped function although many organisations use this. It seems unfair to me: two contributors of quite different sizes can pay the same, and conversely, two quite similar contributors can pay very different amounts.
    The polyline version solves this while still remaining simple mathematically. It is the sort of function used in income tax calculations (at least in the UK), but this version is regressive rather than progressive (ie the rate is lower for higher contributors). This can of course be changed.
    The Smooth version is the most elegant mathematically, and probably the fairest. But I haven’t seen it used for this kind of thing before. It can be explained with words like “treble the GDP gives double the contribution” (or whatever parameters we choose).
    On balance I think the polyline version is the best of these three. But there may be other possibilities. What do others think?
    Best regards,
    Juan.
    From: juan.bicarregui=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of JuanBicarregui
    Hilary,
    I’ve noted the next meeting in my diary. Is the intention to have meetings each week at this time?
    Best wishes,
    Juan.
    From: hilary.hanahoe=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Hilary Hanahoe
    I have created some short notes on yesterday’s call for your records and they are available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w0UD39cfVb6OCR5_xRz5jG-RpVUobzeU7MKo… which is located in the Google Folder.
    1. Financial Indicators: Juan would you be willing to coordinate a mini group (Jason and Mark perhaps?) to come up with parameters based on GDP that we could use for the annual regional contribution? I merged all the data I have into the excel file in the folder, and from discussions on the last 2 calls, GDP appears to be the most reliable and recognised data source / reference. Please let me know if you could do this and Mark if you are willing to be involved? Jason already expressed willingness on the call yesterday.
    2. Botswana Meeting: I have discussed with Ingrid (Council Co-chair & Council RE liaison) and we propose that the Botswana meeting be focused on presenting a pre-final version of the framework (which includes the governance and financial indicators) to a group of regional representatives so that they could provide feedback to this group for integration in the document and finalisation by the end of 2018.
    3. Next Meeting: there will not be a meeting on Thursday 20th Sept, so please mark in your diaries the next call for 27th Sept at 11 UTC which Ingrid will chair (thank you Ingrid)
    4. Timing: we should aim to finalise documents and frameworks for mid October in order to circulate the pre-final versions to meeting invitees at least 10 days in advance of the Botswana meeting. @Sarah @ Leslie @ Vivian Can you take forward coordinating the finalisation of the RDA Framework document?
    Have a lovely weekend
    Hilary
    Link to RE Google Folder https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11ReQJBXCeLAJqIPJj0jkiJLnZtmlkTSC
    ***@***.***
    Registration is now open for International Data Week (comprising SciDataCon and the 12th RDA Plenary Meeting), 5-8 November 2018, Gaborone, Botswana: register here! Early bird rate until 30 September.
    The information contained in this message and any attachments are intended solely for the attention
    and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
    If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately

Attached files:

Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-regional-engagement-discussion-gro
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/60692

Homepage

RDA Admin
    Organizer

Looks good Juan,
    I would be available this Friday, and the 26th, if you did want to chat beforehand. Just suggest a few times and I’ll see what fits.
    Mark
    Mark Leggott, Executive Director / Directeur exécutif
    Research Data Canada / Données de recherche Canada
    45 O’Connor Street, Suite 500 Ottawa, ON K1P 1A4 Canada
    w – rdc-drc.ca t – 613.220.7236 f – 613.943.5443 e – ***@***.***-drc.ca
    Skype – markleggott Zoom – 391-053-1054/***@***.***-drc.ca
    Twitter – @mleggott/#rdcdrc LinkedIn – ca.linkedin.com/in/markleggott
    Book a Meeting with Me – https://rdc-drc.doodle.com/markleggott
    On Sep 18, 2018, 14:35 -0300, mcintold , wrote:
    Hi Juan,
    Thanks for drafting this. I would like to be part of the discussion but will be busy before the next call due to the RDA-US leadership meeting (among others). I also know Mark is out this week.
    Cheers,
    Leslie
    Executive Director
    Amos Eaton 210
    Juan.

Best regards,
    Juan.
    Hilary,
    Best wishes,
    Juan.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Hilary
    ***@***.***

Attached files:

Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-regional-engagement-discussion-gro
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/60692

Homepage

Dear Marks and non-Marks,
    Leslie suggests that this should be the main item for discussion on Thursday, so we should have enough time to discuss it then. So no need to have a call beforehand, I don’t think.
    Best
    Juan.
    Sent: 19 September 2018 16:06
    To: mleggott
    Cc: Bicarregui, Juan (STFC,RAL,SC); RDA Regional Engagement Discussion Group; Jason Haga; Ingrid Dillo; Lupo-Petta, Jamie; Hilary Hanahoe
    Subject: Re: [regional_engagement] [regional_engagement] – Financial indicators
    I understand what’s happening now. Mark is Mark Leggot. Not me 🙂
    cheers,
    -m.
    On 19 Sep 2018, at 08:19, mleggott wrote:
    Looks good Juan,
    I would be available this Friday, and the 26th, if you did want to chat beforehand. Just suggest a few times and I’ll see what fits.
    Mark
    Mark Leggott, Executive Director / Directeur exécutif
    Research Data Canada / Données de recherche Canada
    45 O’Connor Street, Suite 500 Ottawa, ON K1P 1A4 Canada
    w – rdc-drc.ca t – 613.220.7236 f – 613.943.5443 e – ***@***.***-drc.ca
    Skype – markleggott Zoom – 391-053-1054/***@***.***-drc.ca
    Twitter – @mleggott/#rdcdrc LinkedIn – ca.linkedin.com/in/markleggott
    Book a Meeting with Me – https://rdc-drc.doodle.com/markleggott
    On Sep 18, 2018, 14:35 -0300, mcintold , wrote:
    Hi Juan,
    Cheers,
    Leslie
    Executive Director
    Amos Eaton 210
    Juan.

Best regards,
    Juan.
    Hilary,
    Best wishes,
    Juan.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Hilary
    ***@***.***

Attached files:

Homepage