Skip to main content

Notice

We are in the process of rolling out a soft launch of the RDA website, which includes a new member platform. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Visitors may encounter functionality issues with group pages, navigation, missing content, broken links, etc. As you explore the new site, please provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Thank you for your understanding and support as we work through all issues as quickly as possible. Stay updated about upcoming features and functionalities: https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/

Update on the RDA NDS Interest Group

• Creator
    Discussion

RDA Admin

Colleagues,
    The National Data Services Interest Group has been facilitating the discussion of data services in a national/regional context since Plenary 5. The most recent IG meeting was held at P12 in Gaborone, and the most recent output of the IG was a summary of selected National Data Services based on a survey. There was no submission for the IG for the previous plenary in Philadelphia, and there was no submission for the upcoming plenary in Helsinki.
    Given recent efforts to create the Global Open Science Commons (GOSC) Interest Group (which emerged from the last couple of Plenaries from discussion of the GOSC BOF group), and the common interests and overlaps with the National Data Services IG, we are recommending that the NDS IG be put on hold, and current IG members direct their attention to the GOSC efforts. There is a strong likelihood that the GOSC discussion will lead to the creation of both an Interest Group, and an initial Working Group, so there will be ample opportunity for ongoing discussion of national/international data services, and their interoperability at the international scale. We will endeavour to share the initial descriptions of the GOSC group(s) as soon as possible, so NDS IG Members can get a better sense of the synergies.
    As the current co-chairs of the NDS IG, we would like to provide the Members with an opportunity to comment on this recommendation, so please let us know via this NDS IG list if you have feedback. Thanks,
    Sent on behalf of the NDS IG Co-Chairs: Adrian Burton, Christine Kirkpatrick, Mark Leggott
    Mark
    Mark Leggott, Executive Director / Directeur exécutif
    Research Data Canada / Données de recherche Canada
    45 O’Connor Street, Suite 500 Ottawa, ON K1P 1A4 Canada
    w – rdc-drc.ca t – 613.220.7236 f – 613.943.5443 e – ***@***.***-drc.ca
    Skype – markleggott Zoom – 391-053-1054/***@***.***-drc.ca
    Twitter – @mleggott/#rdcdrc LinkedIn – ca.linkedin.com/in/markleggott
    Book a Meeting with Me – https://rdc-drc.doodle.com/markleggott

• Author
    Replies

Dear Mark and all,
    I agree with the suggestion – there is a large overlap between the aims of the two groups and so it is a good idea to merge them.
    Best wishes,
    Juan.
    – Show quoted text -From: mark.leggott=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of mleggott
    Sent: 11 July 2019 13:59
    To: National Data Services IG
    Subject: [national-data-services] Update on the RDA NDS Interest Group
    Colleagues,
    The National Data Services Interest Group has been facilitating the discussion of data services in a national/regional context since Plenary 5. The most recent IG meeting was held at P12 in Gaborone, and the most recent output of the IG was a summary of selected National Data Services based on a survey. There was no submission for the IG for the previous plenary in Philadelphia, and there was no submission for the upcoming plenary in Helsinki.
    Given recent efforts to create the Global Open Science Commons (GOSC) Interest Group (which emerged from the last couple of Plenaries from discussion of the GOSC BOF group), and the common interests and overlaps with the National Data Services IG, we are recommending that the NDS IG be put on hold, and current IG members direct their attention to the GOSC efforts. There is a strong likelihood that the GOSC discussion will lead to the creation of both an Interest Group, and an initial Working Group, so there will be ample opportunity for ongoing discussion of national/international data services, and their interoperability at the international scale. We will endeavour to share the initial descriptions of the GOSC group(s) as soon as possible, so NDS IG Members can get a better sense of the synergies.
    As the current co-chairs of the NDS IG, we would like to provide the Members with an opportunity to comment on this recommendation, so please let us know via this NDS IG list if you have feedback. Thanks,
    Sent on behalf of the NDS IG Co-Chairs: Adrian Burton, Christine Kirkpatrick, Mark Leggott
    Mark

Dale Peters

Hi All!
    The recommendation to rationalise the NDS IG in the GOSC initiative is supported – with thanks to NDS-IG co-chairs and members for valuable engagements.
    Kind regards,
    Dale
    [cid:***@***.***]
    Dr Dale Peters
    Director
    UCT eResearch
    +27 21 650 5932
    ***@***.***
    eresearch.uct.ac.za
    [Displaying eResearch logo NEW RGB extra small.jpg]
    – Show quoted text -From: mark.leggott=***@***.***-groups.org On Behalf Of mleggott
    Sent: Thursday, 11 July 2019 14:59
    Colleagues,
    Mark
    Disclaimer – University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php.

Dear all,
    I agree – I think it’s a great idea to merge them!
    Best,
    Sandra
    ————————————————————————————————————
    Sandra Gesing
    Associate Research Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
    Computational Scientist, Center for Research Computing
    University of Notre Dame
    http://www3.nd.edu/~sgesing

I also agree but I am having difficulty finding the Global Open Science
    Commons (GOSC) Interest Group on
    the RDA website. If the proposed group hasn’t been endorsed yet, is there
    a way to follow the
    progress so that we can sign up as members?
    Thanks,
    Rebecca
    Executive Director, DataONE
    University of New Mexico
    1312 Basehart SE
    Albuquerque, NM 87106
    Email: ***@***.***
    Cell: (505) 382-0890
    Fax: (505) 246-6007

I’m always for merging of groups, but what is the scope and goal of the ’Global Open Science Commons (GOSC) Interest Group’?
    In my experience, the clearer the outputs, the more engaged WG members are. I’d love to contribute to a group with a clear goal, and a set of proposed outputs – and thoughts up front on how those outputs will be used, and by whom.
    Anita
    From: rkoskela=***@***.***-groups.org On Behalf Of rkoskela
    Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 11:42 AM
    To: Sandra Gesing ; National Data Services IG
    Cc: Dale.Peters ; mleggott
    Subject: Re: [national-data-services] Update on the RDA NDS Interest Group
    I also agree but I am having difficulty finding the Global Open Science Commons (GOSC) Interest Group on
    the RDA website. If the proposed group hasn’t been endorsed yet, is there a way to follow the
    Thanks,
    Rebecca
    University of New Mexico
    1312 Basehart SE
    Albuquerque, NM 87106
    On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 9:27 AM Sandra Gesing wrote:
    Dear all,
    Best,
    Sandra
    Sandra Gesing
    University of Notre Dame
    On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 9:29 AM Dale.Peters wrote:
    Hi All!
    The recommendation to rationalise the NDS IG in the GOSC initiative is supported – with thanks to NDS-IG co-chairs and members for valuable engagements.
    Kind regards,
    Dale
    Dr Dale Peters
    Director
    UCT eResearch
    +27 21 650 5932
    ***@***.***
    eresearch.uct.ac.za
    – Show quoted text -From: mark.leggott=***@***.***-groups.org On Behalf Of mleggott
    Colleagues,
    Mark
    Disclaimer – University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php.

RDA Admin
    Organizer

Hi Rebecca, I will provide more information when I have something that can be shared. There is nothing yet about the new group on the site as their Case Statement hasn’t yet been approved. I will let everyone on the list know as soon as I do!
    Mark
    Reply-To: “***@***.***
    Date: Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 12:41
    To: Sandra Gesing
    Cc: “Dale.Peters” , National Data Services IG , Mark Leggott
    I also agree but I am having difficulty finding the Global Open Science Commons (GOSC) Interest Group on
    the RDA website. If the proposed group hasn’t been endorsed yet, is there a way to follow the
    Thanks,
    Rebecca
    University of New Mexico
    1312 Basehart SE
    Albuquerque, NM 87106
    Dear all,
    Best,
    Sandra
    Sandra Gesing
    University of Notre Dame
    Hi All!
    Kind regards,
    Dale
    [cid:16be18219754ce8e91]
    Dr Dale Peters
    Director
    UCT eResearch
    +27 21 650 5932
    ***@***.***
    eresearch.uct.ac.za
    Colleagues,
    Mark

Hi Mark,
    I think that makes perfect sense and also provides an opportunity for
    direction for an interest group.
    E.g: how to establish a national or regional data commons or cloud? What
    elements need to be considered? Possible models for governance and
    inclusion? How to connect your national data service or cloud/commons with
    other cloud/commons emerging around the world?
    Kind regards,
    Keith
    Keith Russell
    Manager, Engagements
    *P* +61 3 9905 6273
    *M* +61 427 452 342
    ***@***.***
    ardc.edu.au

Monash University
    Building T, Ground Floor
    100 Sir John Monash Drive, Caulfield East VIC 3145, AUSTRALIA
    PO Box 197, Caulfield East VIC 3145, AUSTRALIA

ARDC acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the lands
    that we live and work on across Australia and pays its respect
    to Elders past and present.
    Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

I am eager to see the formation and description of the GOSC group as well and defer to someone from GOSC to answer. To explain more from the NDS IG side… we found that now we’re an established group, that the topics of interest have moved from ‘what countries have national data services and what are they providing’ to a deeper dive into those services and platforms. As well, we’ve struggled somewhat to include relevant services and projects while keeping the scope at the country level. As we’ve seen, not all countries have an NDS, but there are other successful projects relevant to the members of the IG. We see this as a logical evolution of the NDS IG – to now focus less on the scope of the service, to be more inclusive, and highlight the capabilities and connection of data commons and services.
    Thanks everyone for being open to this!
    Christine
    From: a.dewaard=***@***.***-groups.org On Behalf Of Anita de Waard
    Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:52 AM
    To: rkoskela ; Sandra Gesing ; National Data Services IG
    I’m always for merging of groups, but what is the scope and goal of the ’Global Open Science Commons (GOSC) Interest Group’?
    In my experience, the clearer the outputs, the more engaged WG members are. I’d love to contribute to a group with a clear goal, and a set of proposed outputs – and thoughts up front on how those outputs will be used, and by whom.
    Anita
    Thanks,
    Rebecca
    University of New Mexico
    1312 Basehart SE
    Albuquerque, NM 87106
    Dear all,
    Best,
    Sandra
    Sandra Gesing
    University of Notre Dame
    Hi All!
    Kind regards,
    Dale
    Dr Dale Peters
    Director
    UCT eResearch
    +27 21 650 5932
    ***@***.***
    eresearch.uct.ac.za
    Colleagues,
    Mark

Hi Mark,
    Thank you for allowing me involve in this discussion as the new member of
    the NDS IG. It was very interesting for the initiative to merge NDS to
    GOSC. Personally, I really curious with the idea from Keith Russel
    regarding the governance of national or regional data services since we are
    in Indonesia are trying to establish National Data Service.
    Warm Regards,
    Cahyo Trianggoro
    Researcher
    *Center for Scientific Data and Documentation (PDII)Indonesia Institute of
    Sciences (LIPI)*
    *Jl. Jenderal Gatot Subroto 10, Jakarta 12710*
    *Contact: +62878 0574 4940Phone: (+62 21) 573 3465, Fax. (+62 21) 573 3467*

Makes sense. I’m completely supportive of this merger. Will the co-chairs of the NDS-IG have some role within the new GOSC interest group?
    Kenton McHenry, Ph.D.
    Principal Research Scientist, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Computer Science
    Deputy Director of the Scientific Software & Applications Division
    National Center for Supercomputing Applications, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    On Jul 11, 2019, at 7:59 PM, christine wrote:
    I am eager to see the formation and description of the GOSC group as well and defer to someone from GOSC to answer. To explain more from the NDS IG side… we found that now we’re an established group, that the topics of interest have moved from ‘what countries have national data services and what are they providing’ to a deeper dive into those services and platforms. As well, we’ve struggled somewhat to include relevant services and projects while keeping the scope at the country level. As we’ve seen, not all countries have an NDS, but there are other successful projects relevant to the members of the IG. We see this as a logical evolution of the NDS IG – to now focus less on the scope of the service, to be more inclusive, and highlight the capabilities and connection of data commons and services.
    Thanks everyone for being open to this!
    Christine
    From: a.dewaard=***@***.***-groups.org On Behalf Of Anita de Waard
    Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:52 AM
    To: rkoskela ; Sandra Gesing ; National Data Services IG
    Anita
    Thanks,
    Rebecca
    University of New Mexico
    1312 Basehart SE
    Albuquerque, NM 87106
    Dear all,
    Best,
    Sandra
    Sandra Gesing
    University of Notre Dame
    Hi All!
    Kind regards,
    Dale

Dr Dale Peters
    Director
    UCT eResearch
    +27 21 650 5932
    ***@***.***
    eresearch.uct.ac.za

Colleagues,
    Mark
    Disclaimer – University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our website athttp://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php.

Hi all,
    For example we have in Finland NDS and the development project for it
    (nowadays called “Fairdata”). Additionally our open science initiaticves
    has moved from the ministry driven approach to the community driven
    approach (https://avointiede.fi/en/frontpage). These two things (NDS and
    open science initiative) are somehow separate (e.g. they are managed
    separately). Still we can think NDS as a part of open science
    functionalities.
    I think it might be good idea to look all these thing from the broader
    perspective and if there is strictly NDS related issues, then we can
    restart old IG or initiate specific WG.
    So, I agree 🙂
    BR,

Hi all,
    there was a BOF session of the proposed GOSC group at the last plenary in
    Philadelphia. See agenda here with some further links:
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/bof-coordinating-global-open-science-commons
    The content of that meeting touched quite a few areas in common with NDS
    IG: types of services; types of business models; pitching the vision;
    technical interoperability. That meeting seemed to indicate to me that
    indeed there were indeed considerable shared issues.
    i’ll try and put my hands on the meeting notes.
    cheers,
    Adrian
    On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:53 PM vtenhunen
    wrote:

Dear all
    I Agree with the merger – there are too many groups in RDA.
    Merging ones with similar ambitions is a great idea.
    Take care
    Lesley
    Date: Friday, 12 July 2019 at 1:42 am
    To: vtenhunen , National Data Services IG
    Hi all,
    there was a BOF session of the proposed GOSC group at the last plenary in Philadelphia. See agenda here with some further links:
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/bof-coordinating-global-open-science-commons
    The content of that meeting touched quite a few areas in common with NDS IG: types of services; types of business models; pitching the vision; technical interoperability. That meeting seemed to indicate to me that indeed there were indeed considerable shared issues.
    i’ll try and put my hands on the meeting notes.
    cheers,
    Adrian
    On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:53 PM vtenhunen wrote:
    Hi all,
    For example we have in Finland NDS and the development project for it
    (nowadays called “Fairdata”). Additionally our open science initiaticves
    has moved from the ministry driven approach to the community driven
    approach (https://avointiede.fi/en/frontpage). These two things (NDS and
    open science initiative) are somehow separate (e.g. they are managed
    separately). Still we can think NDS as a part of open science
    functionalities.
    I think it might be good idea to look all these thing from the broader
    perspective and if there is strictly NDS related issues, then we can
    restart old IG or initiate specific WG.
    So, I agree 🙂
    BR,

In case of merge, please let us know the utltimate group URL (in case it changes).
    regards,
    Leandro Ciuffo
    RNP – Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa
    ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9747-2279