Skip to main content

Notice

We are in the process of rolling out a soft launch of the RDA website, which includes a new member platform. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Visitors may encounter functionality issues with group pages, navigation, missing content, broken links, etc. As you explore the new site, please provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Thank you for your understanding and support as we work through all issues as quickly as possible. Stay updated about upcoming features and functionalities: https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/

Re: [rda-tailresearchdata-ig][rda-libresearchdata][software-source-code-ig] A new(?) aspect of software and the FAIR principles

• Creator
    Discussion

Andras Holl

Dear Robin, Rolf,
    Thank you for Your suggestions. I agree with both of You.
    My hope is that there would be enough people interested in my suggestion, to
    draft some initial document on the question. All comments, suggestions, additions – like yours – are wellcome!
    With kind regards,
    Andras
    —– Original Message —–
    To: “holl andras”
    Cc: “Long tail of research data IG” , “Libraries for Research Data IG” , “Software Source Code IG”
    Sent: Monday, 23 March, 2020 13:38:51
    Subject: Re: [rda-tailresearchdata-ig][rda-libresearchdata][software-source-code-ig] A new(?) aspect of software and the FAIR principles
    Andras,
    I agree that software ingesting, processing, producing, and archiving should adhere to FAIR principles. What seems questionable is the use of “especially open source” in 2 & 4. Commercial software, especially that software not orginiating from informed by communities committed to preservation and open content, is just as likely to not meet FAIR principles. There was a time when we would not buy software unless we had access to the source code. That vulnerability persists in my opinion especially software dealing with data.
    Regards,
    Robin
    Robin Ruggaber
    Director for Strategic Technology Initiatives & Partnerships
    University of Virginia Library