Skip to main content

Notice

We are in the process of rolling out a soft launch of the RDA website, which includes a new member platform. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Visitors may encounter functionality issues with group pages, navigation, missing content, broken links, etc. As you explore the new site, please provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Thank you for your understanding and support as we work through all issues as quickly as possible. Stay updated about upcoming features and functionalities: https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/

Semantic interoperability of variable descriptions: does I-ADOPT deliver on its promises?

• Creator
    Discussion

Barbara Magagna
    Participant

1- A. Gregory: Alignment between I-ADOPT and DDI-CDI – 15’
    2- B. Magagna: Methods used to test interoperability of early adopting vocabularies (EnvThes, BODC PUV, CF Standard Names, ACTRIS) – 15’
    3- G. Moncoiffe: Results of the tests on interoperability carried out between vocabularies which have adopted I-ADOPT – 15’
    4- Guided discussion based on the analysis of the reported results to improve or further develop the I-ADOPT framework to help achieve greater semantic interoperability – 45’

Additional links to informative material
    Recommendation package DOI: 10.15497/RDA00071 (contains all essential links to the latest up-to-date material)

Avoid conflict with the following group (1)
    Vocabulary Services IG

Brief introduction describing the activities and scope of the group
    The I-ADOPT Working Group was set up to address the lack of a common framework to enable interoperability between diverse terminologies used to represent observable properties and to provide the necessary level of detail needed for seamless data discovery and integration. The Working Group is in maintenance mode curating and refining the I-ADOPT Framework and the endorsed Recommendations published in 2022. The framework is a set of guidelines based on a simple non-domain specific ontology that supports the decomposition of complex observable properties into their essential atomic parts defined as concepts in FAIR terminologies. At the last session during P20, a number of on-going implementations in different operational systems were presented. The next step is to evaluate the interoperability aspect of the Framework by comparing these implementations and its alignment with established conceptual frameworks, and ensuring that the use of I-ADOPT does indeed facilitate interoperability between data sources.

Estimate of the required room capacity
    30-50

I Understand a Chair Must be Present at the Event to Hold the Breakout Session
    Yes

Meeting objectives
    1- Test the interoperability of vocabularies which have adopted I-ADOPT (EnvThes, BODC PUV, CF Standard Names, ACTRIS): test methodology, analysis of results highlighting divergences, and discussion on solutions
    2- Evaluate the alignment of the variable concept between I-ADOPT and DDI-CDI

Please indicate at least (3) three breakout slots that would suit your meeting.
    Breakout 2, Breakout 5

Privacy Policy