Exposing Data Management Plans WG

WG

Group details

Secretariat Liaison: 
Timea Biro
TAB Liaison: 
Francoise Genova
Not yet endorsed
 

A variety of stakeholders are showing growing interest in exposing data management plans (*) to other actors (human/machine) in the research lifecycle, beyond their creator and the funder or institution that mandates their production. Interested stakeholders include researchers themselves, funders, institutions, and a variety of service providers and community organisations including repositories, institutions, journals, publishers, and providers of tools for writing and maintaining plans.  Implementation and adoption is currently hampered by two problems:

  • A lack of standards for expression and interchange of DMPs

  • Insufficient understanding of the needs of users and the benefits and risks of different modes of action

This proposed working group will address both of these issues; the issue of a standardised form of expression for DMPs is the concern of the proposed DMP Common Standards Working Group. The group’s output will include a reference model and alternative strategies for exposing plans, to best serve community interests in meeting FAIR principles,  based on shared experience of ‘early adopters’ in test implementations. It will be supported by work to gauge user needs and motivations for exposing DMPs as well as perceived risks and disbenefits. Note * our main focus is on Data Management Plans (DMPs) but we will seek examples of Software Management Plans (SMPs) where relevant to the exposure use cases of interest to the Active DMP Interest Group.   

The key beneficiaries of the WG outcomes will be stakeholders with a common interest in using Data or Software Management Plans as instruments for demonstrating that research products have been managed according to research community standards and generic principles (e.g. that the research products should be FAIR), and that recognition is given for doing so. 

There is potential value in exposing plans for a variety of stakeholders involved in their production and consumption. These include researchers themselves, funders, institutions, and a variety of service providers and community organisations including repositories, institutions, journals, publishers, and providers of tools to help write and maintain plans. The WG will provide a Use Cases Catalogue to describe implementation scenarios and articulate their benefits to researchers and other stakeholders, with case studies of how those benefits have been realised. Through consultation with users of well-established planning tools (DMPTool, DMPonline), the Use Cases Catalogue will also identify the degree of acceptance among researchers for the levels of exposure/publication each use case entails, barriers to realising the benefits, and any concerns about undesirable impacts.

Generalising from the scenarios and  examples contained in the Use Cases Catalogue, the WG will produce a Reference Model to document generic components and workflows for exposing plans (and metadata about them), and offer recommendations for further action by each of the relevant stakeholder groups . By gaining endorsements for the Reference Model from relevant stakeholders for each use case we will provide a community endorsed approach to using plans to share demonstrable advancement in data sharing practice.


Recent Activity

18 Oct 2017

Re: [rda-datamanagplans][exposing-plans] Exposing DMPs group status and next call

A reminder of our call tomorrow, Thursday, at 3pm UK time (UTC +1) to agree our actions to address the TAB review comments, which are outlined following the call details below.
Please join us then!
Angus
Exposing DMPs WG
Thu, 19 Oct 2017 15:00 - 16:00 BST
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/345028389
You can also dial in using your phone.
United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5011
Access Code: 345-028-389

12 Oct 2017

Re: [rda-datamanagplans][exposing-plans] Exposing DMPs group status and next call

Dear all,
The next call for Exposing DMP WG will be next Thursday 19th October, at 3pm UK time (UTC+1). Call details to follow.
All best,
Angus
From: <***@***.***-groups.org> on behalf of sangusa <***@***.***>
Date: Tuesday, 3 October 2017 at 18:26
To: "***@***.***-groups.org" <***@***.***-groups.org>, Active Data Management Plans IG <***@***.***-groups.org>
Cc: Fiona Murphy <***@***.***>, Natalie Meyers <***@***.***>, Kathryn Unsworth <***@***.***>

18 Sep 2017

“R programming language to manage metadata, data complying with OGC standards and controlled vocabularies: the case of Tuna Fisheries”

Dear IG's / WG's,

We would like to invite you to an RDA related event that we believe to be relevant to your activities; “R programming language to manage metadata and data by complying with OGC (EML, CF conventions) standards and controlled vocabularies: the case of Tuna Fisheries” .

When: Tuesday 19 September 2017, from 11:30 to 13:00 local time

Where: room: Mansfield 10, RDA Plenary Meeting, Montreal, Canada

15 Sep 2017

DMP sessions at RDA P10 next week - local & remote participation

To members of the RDA DMP interest group, and of the exposing plans
working group & DMP common standards WG.
We're looking forward to our joint session with the domain repositories
group at RDA P10 in Montreal next week. A near-final agenda is available
on the plenary site:
https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-10th-plenary-joint-meeting-ig-active-dat...
Once again we have facilities available for remote participation.

07 Sep 2017

Re: [rda-datamanagplans][dmp-common][exposing-plans] Re: [rda-datamanagplans][dmp-common][exposing-plans] Re: [rda-datamanagplans][dmp-common] RE: [rda-datamanagplans][dmp-common][exposing-plans] An unfortunate clash in the schedule for P10

On 07/09/17 17:08, chodacki wrote:
> I agree that the timing probably won’t be changed at this late date. Maybe
> we can suggest with their group that we have a rep from us join there meeting
> and vice versa? Maybe give 5min to plug the other group? Or maybe some
> other configuration to make sure everyone in each understands there is tons
> of overlap?
Yes - I was assuming we would want to send someone there for that reason.
Suggesting a mutual exchange is a much better proposal.
--

07 Sep 2017

Re: [rda-datamanagplans][dmp-common][exposing-plans] Re: [rda-datamanagplans][dmp-common] RE: [rda-datamanagplans][dmp-common][exposing-plans] An unfortunate clash in the schedule for P10

I agree that the timing probably won’t be changed at this late date. Maybe we can suggest with their group that we have a rep from us join there meeting and vice versa? Maybe give 5min to plug the other group? Or maybe some other configuration to make sure everyone in each understands there is tons of overlap?

07 Sep 2017

Re: [rda-datamanagplans][dmp-common] RE: [rda-datamanagplans][dmp-common][exposing-plans] An unfortunate clash in the schedule for P10

On 06/09/17 17:32, sjDCC wrote:
...
>
> They blogged a while back and Steph and I subsequently had a call with them. We actually encouraged them to come to RDA as we want to collaborate more.
> The overlap is significant and Stephanie had already emailed RDA to see if one could be rescheduled but we haven't heard anything back.
>
OK, that's good to know. I believe Timea Biro handled the scheduling again this
time so she is the best person to ask. However, an email to the secretariat

06 Sep 2017

An unfortunate clash in the schedule for P10

Members of the RDA DMP interest group & the DMP working groups:
I and the the other group co-chairs are looking forward to joining
some of you at the forthcoming plenary in Montreal, and particularly
to the joint session on Wednesday with the domain repositories IG.
Unfortunately it seems we have a clash with what appears to be
a pertinent BoF session. I didn't spot this clash early enough to ask
the RDA Secretariat to reschedule one or other session.
The BoF in question is titled "Data Management Records and Persistent

04 Sep 2017

Invitation: Exposing DMPs @ Wed 6 Sep 2017 14:00 - 15:00 (BST) (rda-datamanagplans@rda-groups.org)

You have been invited to the following event.
Title: Exposing DMPs
Dear All
As promised, here are the dial-in details for a call (for the Exposing DMPs
WG) later in the week.
Thanks, Fiona, Angus, Natalie and Kathryn
Exposing DMPs call
Wed, 6 Sep 2017 14:00 - 15:00 BST
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/490067357
You can also dial in using your phone.
United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5028