Research Data Provenance IG

IG

Group details

Chair (s): 
Case Statement: 
IG Established
 

Tracking provenance for research data is vital to science and scholarship, providing answers to common questions researchers pose when sharing and exchanging data: Where did it come from? Who modified it? Is this copy the same as the copy I deposited? In what way is it the same? How do I resolve discrepancies or anomalies?

This group focuses on the comparison and evaluation of models for data provenance. It is concerned with questions of data origins, maintenance of identity through the data lifecycle, and how we account for data modification. Objectives of this group include: recommending general and expressive frameworks for documenting research data transactions proposing syntheses of complementary provenance views, and relating data provenance to problems of scientific equivalence and the assessment of data quality.

The Research Data Provenance group anticipates potential intersections with the Data Citation, Data Foundation and Terminology, and Metadata Standards working groups as well as the Data in Context interest group.

 



Recent Activity

24 Jun 2019

Plenary 14 Session Submission Deadline Is Thursday!

With Plenary 14 (P14) scheduled to occur from October 23-25, the deadline for session submission is this Thursday, 27 June at 16:00 UTC.

Submissions for meeting sessions are open to working groups, interest groups, joint groups and birds of feather (BoF) meetings.

Please note, however, submissions are accepted from group chairs only. If you submit a session request for a group, please notify the other chairs of that group.

16 May 2019

Plenary 14: Call for Sessions, Collocated Events, Posters and Registration Now Open!

Taking place from 23-25 October 2019, the 14th RDA Plenary will take place in Dipoli, the nature-immersed building of Aalto University, Helsinki, in Finland, “one of the happiest countries in the world”, states Per Öster, CSC-IT Center For Science Director and Co-Chair of the P14 Programme Committee.

 

03 Apr 2019

Slides of WGDC break-out session presenations available on-line

Dear all,
Thank you very much for the active participation and discussion during
today's break-out session. The extended slide deck presented during the
break-out session at Plenary 13 (including the slides presented plus a
few additional slides with more detailed back-ground information) has
been uploaded to our file repository. You can access the slides at
https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-wgdc-p13-slides-philadelphia
Specifically, it contains slides on

03 Apr 2019

Slides of WGDC break-out session presenations available on-line

Dear all,
Thank you very much for the active participation and discussion during
today's break-out session. The extended slide deck presented during the
break-out session at Plenary 13 (including the slides presented plus a
few additional slides with more detailed back-ground information) has
been uploaded to our file repository. You can access the slides at
https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-wgdc-p13-slides-philadelphia
Specifically, it contains slides on

03 Apr 2019

Break-Out Session on Data Citation today at Break-Out 4, 12:00-13:30, commonwealth B

We are looking forward to seeing many of you in today's break-out
session of the Working Group on Dynamic Data Citation, which will take
place from 12:00-13:30 in Commonwealth B.
We will provide a quick overview of the recommendations, a list of all
adoptions so far and then focus on new adoptions, specifically
- NICT Data Plattform
- No-SQL (MongoDB) for CKAN
- Dendro Data Repository
- OpenEO: Earth Observation Data Center (EODC)
and discussing FAQs on the recommendations.
Andi

19 Aug 2014

Notes from 2014-08-07 Webconference

Attendees:

Bridget Almas, Dave Dubin, Anna Krohn, Isuru Suriarachchi, Jason Jackson, Kim Fortun, Julia Collins, Gary Berg-Cross, Raphael Ritz

Agenda Items:

* share progress on Anna and Dave's work on development of provenance terminology and discuss approaches to contributing this to the DFT working group's registry deliverable.

* understand interests of the DPHE group wrt provenance issues and explore possibilities for cross-group collaboration

Discussion Notes/Action Items:

continue reading

23 Jul 2014

Provenance Use Case capture tool

Hi all,
The Australian contingent of this IG has set up a Provenance Use Case capture tool and invite you to contribute Use Cases related to provenance. The collection of Use Cases will be used to inform this and other IG's actions. We need to simply write up some lists in order to know the breadth of the field we are considering.
The tool:
* is a small website online at http://promsns.org/uc/
* is open to anyone - so far I've invited this group and the Australian Prov IG to contribute but anyone is welcome

09 Jul 2014

Next Webconference Scheduled: August 7 at 5pm EDT/21:00 UTC/7am AEST

Hi everyone,
Thanks for quick responses to the Doodle poll. The next webconference of
the RDA Research Data Provenance Interest Group will be *Thursday August
7 at 5pm EDT/21:00 UTC/7am AEST*. Goto Meeting information is provided
below.
Chairs of the DFT WG and DPHE IG will be joining this call to discuss
cross-group activity. For DFT this will be focused on the work on core
provenance terminology that Anna and Dave have been working on this
summer, and for DPHE it will be the initiation of discussions related to