Skip to main content

Notice

We are in the process of rolling out a soft launch of the RDA website, which includes a new member platform. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation Visitors may encounter functionality issues with group pages, navigation, missing content, broken links, etc. As you explore the new site, please provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Thank you for your understanding and support as we work through all issues as quickly as possible.

RDARI: Next web meeting

  • Creator
    Discussion
  • #75173

    Ville
    Participant

    Hi rdarians,
    let’s try to set next web meeting of the RDARI IG.
    Here is the Doodle: https://doodle.com/poll/aesi9qgw8q3d7up2
    I hope you have an opportunity to answer at least on Monday 25th February.
    Preliminary agenda for the web meeting:
    1. Philadelphia session preparations
    – let’s check the situation
    2. Governance survey situation
    3. IG issues
    4. AOB
    So, please, click yourself to the Doodle and cast your vote 🙂
    BR,
    Ville

    Ville Tenhunen, puh./tel. +358 294 140 102, +358 50 576 2862

  • Author
    Replies
  • #93049

    James
    Member

    Greetings RDARIANS,
    I’m pleased to say that I’ve finally got around to updating the draft Governance Survey to match the controlled vocabularies being used (so far) by the Open Questionnaire for Research Data Sharing Survey Interest Group (where appropriate). I’ve also added a new question about how institutions fund their research data management infrastructures.
    If you’d like to add any comments or suggestions for improvement, the draft survey is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ykmcqUi3LmpthpFzdlhV8yDQibPtiYG…. The latest version is on the ’22 Feb’ sheet.
    Yours all,
    James

    Dr James A J Wilson
    Head of Research Data Services
    Research IT Services
    Information Services Division, UCL.
    1 St. Martin’s Le Grand, London, EC1A 4NP
    Tel. 020 3549 5068 (internal: 65068)
    Email: ***@***.***
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/research-it/research-data
    – Show quoted text -From: ville.tenhunen=***@***.***-groups.org On Behalf Of vtenhunen
    Sent: 15 February 2019 14:39
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: [rda-rdari] RDARI: Next web meeting
    Hi rdarians,
    let’s try to set next web meeting of the RDARI IG.
    Here is the Doodle: https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoodl
    I hope you have an opportunity to answer at least on Monday 25th February.
    Preliminary agenda for the web meeting:
    1. Philadelphia session preparations
    – let’s check the situation
    2. Governance survey situation
    3. IG issues
    4. AOB
    So, please, click yourself to the Doodle and cast your vote 🙂
    BR,
    Ville

    Ville Tenhunen, puh./tel. +358 294 140 102, +358 50 576 2862

    Full post:
    https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.r
    Manage my subscriptions: https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.r
    Stop emails for this post:
    https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.r

  • #93042

    Rossella
    Member

    Dear James and dear all,
    great job! I fixed some typos and I have a couple of comments:
    – On the data infrastructure part, maybe could be of some interest a
    detailed question on the connection speed, because this can give an idea
    of how the system has the potential to be enlarged, or if the workload
    is not well supported.
    – Could it be useful a question on how they arrange (or if they have) a
    particular data policy in the case the infrastructure is also used by
    SME (small medium enterprices)?
    My best regards,
    Rossella

  • #92953

    James
    Member

    Hi Rosella,
    Thanks for typo fixing, and apologies it’s taken me a while to get back to this.
    I’m not entirely sure how we could go about asking a question relating to connection speeds that could be easily answered by respondents. I wouldn’t be able to answer this for UCL, for instance, as the networking varies across different parts of the campus, and practically achievable data transfer speeds are usually substantially less than the theoretical maximum in any case. Did you have a particular way of phrasing the question in mind?
    Happy to add a question about whether infrastructures are shared, but again I’m not sure how best to phrase it in a clear and unambiguous manner. Suggestions?
    James

    Dr James A J Wilson
    Head of Research Data Services
    Research IT Services
    Information Services Division, UCL.
    1 St. Martin’s Le Grand, London, EC1A 4NP
    Tel. 020 3549 5068 (internal: 65068)
    Email: ***@***.***
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/research-it/research-data
    —–Original Message—–
    From: aversa=***@***.***-groups.org On Behalf Of raversa
    Sent: 24 February 2019 13:45
    To: Wilson, James ; Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG
    Cc: vtenhunen ; j.a.j.wilson=***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-rdari] RDARI: Next web meeting
    Dear James and dear all,
    great job! I fixed some typos and I have a couple of comments:
    – On the data infrastructure part, maybe could be of some interest a detailed question on the connection speed, because this can give an idea of how the system has the potential to be enlarged, or if the workload is not well supported.
    – Could it be useful a question on how they arrange (or if they have) a particular data policy in the case the infrastructure is also used by SME (small medium enterprices)?
    My best regards,
    Rossella

  • #92949

    Rossella
    Member

    Dear James,
    I see your point and I agree: they are rather technical questions.
    The second one maybe can be skipped, it is not urgently relevant for our purposes up to now.
    The first one may be phrased in a “soft” way, asking whether the data upload/download is always satisfactory for researchers. This could give us an insight, at least.
    Best,
    Rossella
    ________________________________________
    From: j.a.j.wilson=***@***.***-groups.org on behalf of jajwilson_UCL
    Sent: Friday, March 8, 2019 4:14 PM
    To: raversa; Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG
    Cc: vtenhunen; j.a.j.wilson=***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-rdari] RDARI: Next web meeting
    Hi Rosella,
    Thanks for typo fixing, and apologies it’s taken me a while to get back to this.
    I’m not entirely sure how we could go about asking a question relating to connection speeds that could be easily answered by respondents. I wouldn’t be able to answer this for UCL, for instance, as the networking varies across different parts of the campus, and practically achievable data transfer speeds are usually substantially less than the theoretical maximum in any case. Did you have a particular way of phrasing the question in mind?
    Happy to add a question about whether infrastructures are shared, but again I’m not sure how best to phrase it in a clear and unambiguous manner. Suggestions?
    James

    Dr James A J Wilson
    Head of Research Data Services
    Research IT Services
    Information Services Division, UCL.
    1 St. Martin’s Le Grand, London, EC1A 4NP
    Tel. 020 3549 5068 (internal: 65068)
    Email: ***@***.***
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/research-it/research-data
    —–Original Message—–
    From: aversa=***@***.***-groups.org On Behalf Of raversa
    Sent: 24 February 2019 13:45
    To: Wilson, James ; Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG
    Cc: vtenhunen ; j.a.j.wilson=***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-rdari] RDARI: Next web meeting
    Dear James and dear all,
    great job! I fixed some typos and I have a couple of comments:
    – On the data infrastructure part, maybe could be of some interest a detailed question on the connection speed, because this can give an idea of how the system has the potential to be enlarged, or if the workload is not well supported.
    – Could it be useful a question on how they arrange (or if they have) a particular data policy in the case the infrastructure is also used by SME (small medium enterprices)?
    My best regards,
    Rossella

  • #92928

    Ville
    Member

    Hi James, Rossella, all,
    Thank you to manage this. I’m sorry that I’m little bit late with my
    comments and proposals, but please find some below. Let’s discuss these
    tomorrow in the web meeting:
    Hi James, Rossella, all,
    Thank you to manage this. I’m sorry that I’m little bit late with my
    comments and proposals, but please find some below. Let’s discuss these
    tomorrow in the web meeting:
    On 08/03/2019 17:14, Wilson, James wrote:
    > Hi Rosella,
    >
    > Thanks for typo fixing, and apologies it’s taken me a while to get back to this.
    >
    > I’m not entirely sure how we could go about asking a question relating to connection speeds that could be easily answered by respondents. I wouldn’t be able to answer this for UCL, for instance, as the networking varies across different parts of the campus, and practically achievable data transfer speeds are usually substantially less than the theoretical maximum in any case. Did you have a particular way of phrasing the question in mind?
    Hmm… I see the point. The answer could be hard to me also even if we
    have quite simple network. Is it possible to ask “maximum data transfer
    speed”. Real speed is something else, but this maximum is one parameter
    when organization makes development plans.
    Hi James, Rossella, all,
    Thank you to manage this. I’m sorry that I’m little bit late with my
    comments and proposals, but please find some below. Let’s discuss these
    tomorrow in the web meeting:
    On 08/03/2019 17:14, Wilson, James wrote:
    > Hi Rosella,
    >
    > Thanks for typo fixing, and apologies it’s taken me a while to get back to this.
    >
    > I’m not entirely sure how we could go about asking a question relating to connection speeds that could be easily answered by respondents. I wouldn’t be able to answer this for UCL, for instance, as the networking varies across different parts of the campus, and practically achievable data transfer speeds are usually substantially less than the theoretical maximum in any case. Did you have a particular way of phrasing the question in mind?
    Hmm… I see the point. The answer could be hard to me also even if we
    have quite simple network. Is it possible to ask “maximum data transfer
    speed”. Real speed is something else, but this maximum is one parameter
    when organization makes development plans.
    > Happy to add a question about whether infrastructures are shared, but again I’m not sure how best to phrase it in a clear and unambiguous manner. Suggestions?
    Somehting like that?
    – Do your infrastructure is used also by private sector organizations
    (like SMEs)?
    – If yes, please describe…
    Then about the questionnaire:
    # One proposal for a new question pair:
    – Do your institution offer free of charge stoarege space for
    researchers or research groups?
    – if yes, how large free space is (in GB)?
    # Few smaller comments about the questions (in
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ykmcqUi3LmpthpFzdlhV8yDQibPtiYG…):
    – Type of institution
    Small addition proposals: a) Computing Center => Computing/IT Centre, b)
    should we add “Research data infrastructure” here? Just in case…
    – Do we need email information? If yes, then we should describe why and
    how (because GDPR etc.). Of course email information makes possible to
    identify dublicates etc.
    – Nation
    Shoud this be “Country”? Country codes we can get from ISO 3166 standard
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_3166_country_codes) or ISO
    3166 alpha 2
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2). The latest include
    also Kosovo (XK) which is missing in the list of the ISO 3166 numeric
    codes. (I marked this also in to the Google sheet)
    – Total size of institution (staff, students, etc.)
    Should we define this as a number of the users in the IdM, AD or
    similar? Is the idea of the question to find the size of the system or
    local community? If yes, then the scale should be larger than “up to 50,
    50- 500, 500 – 5000, more than 5000” (For example our university have
    approx. 62000 people in our IdM (incl. students, staff etc.). I propose
    scale: up to 1000, 1000-10000, more than 10000.
    If we count only researchers or staff, then the original scale is very good.
    – What Research Data Management services are provided at your institution?
    Just thought; Could we have here also “Questionnaire tool for
    surveys/sensitive data surveys”?
    – If so, who is responsible for overall RDM planning and infrastructure
    management
    Should we add “library staff”? (Or what is the proper term similar than
    “IT administrators”?)
    – How many persons are employed to provide the data/RDM service(s) In
    terms of full-time equivalents (i.e. one person full time = 1)?
    FTE is proper meter here.
    – Who is responsible for defining the overall vision for Research Data
    Management over 10+ years?
    Should we add “library staff”? (Or what is the proper term similar than
    “IT administrators”?)
    # Missing values
    For the questionnaire we have to decide some code book things like how
    to handle missing values?
    For example in one project which I’m helping in data management issues
    use following definitions for missing values:
    ‐9: No answer
    ‐8: Question was not asked
    ‐4: Respondent stopped filling out the questionnaire.
    ‐3: Answer is not plausible
    ‐1: Question not posed
    # What next?
    I think we can move forward after Philadelphia. I mean that we have good
    enough question set and we can test it with the real form (which tool we
    will use?).
    Then we have to finalize codebook base on current work and prepare
    ourselves to analyze the data. Then we need to find addresses of
    potential audience.
    … but let’s discuss also this tomorrow 🙂
    BR,
    Ville

  • #92858

    James
    Member

    Greetings RDARIans.,
    I’ve made a few more tweaks and updates to the questionnaire based on Ville’s suggestions below and added versions of Rossella’s additional questions. Latest version at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ykmcqUi3LmpthpFzdlhV8yDQibPtiYG….
    I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible in Philadelphia next week!
    Yours,
    James

    Dr James A J Wilson
    Head of Research Data Services
    Research IT Services
    Information Services Division, UCL.
    1 St. Martin’s Le Grand, London, EC1A 4NP
    Tel. 020 3549 5068 (internal: 65068)
    Email: ***@***.***
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/research-it/research-data
    —–Original Message—–
    From: Ville Tenhunen
    Sent: 17 March 2019 17:38
    To: Wilson, James ; raversa ; Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG
    Cc: j.a.j.wilson=***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-rdari] RDARI: Next web meeting
    Hi James, Rossella, all,
    Thank you to manage this. I’m sorry that I’m little bit late with my comments and proposals, but please find some below. Let’s discuss these tomorrow in the web meeting:
    Greetings RDARIans.,
    I’ve made a few more tweaks and updates to the questionnaire based on Ville’s suggestions below and added versions of Rossella’s additional questions. Latest version at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ykmcqUi3LmpthpFzdlhV8yDQibPtiYG….
    I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible in Philadelphia next week!
    Yours,
    James

    Dr James A J Wilson
    Head of Research Data Services
    Research IT Services
    Information Services Division, UCL.
    1 St. Martin’s Le Grand, London, EC1A 4NP
    Tel. 020 3549 5068 (internal: 65068)
    Email: ***@***.***
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/research-it/research-data
    —–Original Message—–
    From: Ville Tenhunen
    Sent: 17 March 2019 17:38
    To: Wilson, James ; raversa ; Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG
    Cc: j.a.j.wilson=***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-rdari] RDARI: Next web meeting
    Hi James, Rossella, all,
    Thank you to manage this. I’m sorry that I’m little bit late with my comments and proposals, but please find some below. Let’s discuss these tomorrow in the web meeting:
    On 08/03/2019 17:14, Wilson, James wrote:
    > Hi Rosella,
    >
    > Thanks for typo fixing, and apologies it’s taken me a while to get back to this.
    >
    > I’m not entirely sure how we could go about asking a question relating to connection speeds that could be easily answered by respondents. I wouldn’t be able to answer this for UCL, for instance, as the networking varies across different parts of the campus, and practically achievable data transfer speeds are usually substantially less than the theoretical maximum in any case. Did you have a particular way of phrasing the question in mind?
    Hmm… I see the point. The answer could be hard to me also even if we have quite simple network. Is it possible to ask “maximum data transfer speed”. Real speed is something else, but this maximum is one parameter when organization makes development plans.
    Greetings RDARIans.,
    I’ve made a few more tweaks and updates to the questionnaire based on Ville’s suggestions below and added versions of Rossella’s additional questions. Latest version at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ykmcqUi3LmpthpFzdlhV8yDQibPtiYG….
    I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible in Philadelphia next week!
    Yours,
    James

    Dr James A J Wilson
    Head of Research Data Services
    Research IT Services
    Information Services Division, UCL.
    1 St. Martin’s Le Grand, London, EC1A 4NP
    Tel. 020 3549 5068 (internal: 65068)
    Email: ***@***.***
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/research-it/research-data
    —–Original Message—–
    From: Ville Tenhunen
    Sent: 17 March 2019 17:38
    To: Wilson, James ; raversa ; Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG
    Cc: j.a.j.wilson=***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-rdari] RDARI: Next web meeting
    Hi James, Rossella, all,
    Thank you to manage this. I’m sorry that I’m little bit late with my comments and proposals, but please find some below. Let’s discuss these tomorrow in the web meeting:
    On 08/03/2019 17:14, Wilson, James wrote:
    > Hi Rosella,
    >
    > Thanks for typo fixing, and apologies it’s taken me a while to get back to this.
    >
    > I’m not entirely sure how we could go about asking a question relating to connection speeds that could be easily answered by respondents. I wouldn’t be able to answer this for UCL, for instance, as the networking varies across different parts of the campus, and practically achievable data transfer speeds are usually substantially less than the theoretical maximum in any case. Did you have a particular way of phrasing the question in mind?
    Hmm… I see the point. The answer could be hard to me also even if we have quite simple network. Is it possible to ask “maximum data transfer speed”. Real speed is something else, but this maximum is one parameter when organization makes development plans.
    > Happy to add a question about whether infrastructures are shared, but again I’m not sure how best to phrase it in a clear and unambiguous manner. Suggestions?
    Somehting like that?
    – Do your infrastructure is used also by private sector organizations (like SMEs)?
    – If yes, please describe…
    Then about the questionnaire:
    # One proposal for a new question pair:
    – Do your institution offer free of charge stoarege space for researchers or research groups?
    – if yes, how large free space is (in GB)?
    # Few smaller comments about the questions (in
    https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.g…):
    – Type of institution
    Small addition proposals: a) Computing Center => Computing/IT Centre, b) should we add “Research data infrastructure” here? Just in case…
    – Do we need email information? If yes, then we should describe why and how (because GDPR etc.). Of course email information makes possible to identify dublicates etc.
    – Nation
    Shoud this be “Country”? Country codes we can get from ISO 3166 standard
    (https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wik…) or ISO
    3166 alpha 2
    (https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wik…). The latest include also Kosovo (XK) which is missing in the list of the ISO 3166 numeric codes. (I marked this also in to the Google sheet)
    – Total size of institution (staff, students, etc.) Should we define this as a number of the users in the IdM, AD or similar? Is the idea of the question to find the size of the system or local community? If yes, then the scale should be larger than “up to 50,
    50- 500, 500 – 5000, more than 5000” (For example our university have approx. 62000 people in our IdM (incl. students, staff etc.). I propose
    scale: up to 1000, 1000-10000, more than 10000.
    If we count only researchers or staff, then the original scale is very good.
    – What Research Data Management services are provided at your institution?
    Just thought; Could we have here also “Questionnaire tool for surveys/sensitive data surveys”?
    – If so, who is responsible for overall RDM planning and infrastructure management Should we add “library staff”? (Or what is the proper term similar than “IT administrators”?)
    – How many persons are employed to provide the data/RDM service(s) In terms of full-time equivalents (i.e. one person full time = 1)?
    FTE is proper meter here.
    – Who is responsible for defining the overall vision for Research Data Management over 10+ years?
    Should we add “library staff”? (Or what is the proper term similar than “IT administrators”?)
    # Missing values
    For the questionnaire we have to decide some code book things like how to handle missing values?
    For example in one project which I’m helping in data management issues use following definitions for missing values:
    ‐9: No answer
    ‐8: Question was not asked
    ‐4: Respondent stopped filling out the questionnaire.
    ‐3: Answer is not plausible
    ‐1: Question not posed
    # What next?
    I think we can move forward after Philadelphia. I mean that we have good enough question set and we can test it with the real form (which tool we will use?).
    Then we have to finalize codebook base on current work and prepare ourselves to analyze the data. Then we need to find addresses of potential audience.
    … but let’s discuss also this tomorrow 🙂
    BR,
    Ville

Log in to reply.