This workgroup has delivered and has been closed. ICSU/WDS has endorsed the outputs of this group; the RDA TAB is still reviewing the workgroup output since the final presentation and discussion at P8 Denver
A follow on workgroup has been created to implement and expand the outputs further. This workgroup is: The Scholarly Link Exchange Workgroup.
Summary of outputs:
Building on pre-existing components and international initiatives, this WG was focusing on a one-for-all cross-referencing service for the links between data and publications. The challenge for the working group has been "How to move from a plethora of (mostly) bilateral arrangements to a one-for-all service model infrastructure for the research data publication landscape?" For more details on the working group see our 2-page overview.
The 1st stage of the demonstrator service is now available. Feedback welcome!
- harvesting descriptions of data-publication links from partners,
- normalising and aggregating that information,
- establishing quality and links across the whole corpus, and
- providing a preliminary set of view, query, and harvest interfaces
There are now millions of objects in the system from a variety of journal publishers, data centres, and research infromation services. See the latest statistics here.
You can be part of Scholix by simply providing a file with the publication-data links from your system! Just contact us.
The next stages of the demostrator service is embedded into the follow on working group.
How would you use such a system? To inform optimisation of the query and access interfaces, further detail is now sought on end-user scenarios. Why not make sure this system is designed for your needs!
In parallel to the systems development the Working Group is also starting to consider a broader framework of standards, quality, and coordination.
The working group outputs has resulted into a number of preliminary work packages:
- Guiding principles for the working group and the proposed service
- Use-case scenarios (provided by the RMap project)
- Conceptualisation of the technical prototype
- Gathering a test corpus of data-publication links
- Investigation of non-DOI linking scenarios