The Metadata Standards Catalog (MSC) Working Group will produce a machine-actionable catalog of metadata standards submitted by all RDA WGs. The catalog system will have an end-user input form and an API for submission from other software. Similarly it will have a user interface for query/reporting and an API for software to query and retrieve suitable standards information. The MSC is a fundamental tool in any autonomic e-research fabric.
This work builds on the outputs of the Metadata Standards Directory Working Group: both the Metadata Standards Directory (MSD) itself and the set of attendant use cases.
Further details about the progress of the work are available on the MSCWG Wiki.
Metadata Principles and their Use
The RDA metadata groups have developed and endorsed a set of five principles for metadata that they believe the wider RDA should adopt and promote.
A prototype Metadata Standards Catalog is under development. You can track progress by visiting the GitHub repository.
The Catalog will be seeded with records migrated from the Metadata Standards Directory. If you would like to help check, clean and expand the migrated records before they are loaded into the Catalog, you can find them in the 'db' folder on GitHub.
Alternatively, to get new records visible prior to the launch of the Catalog, you can continue to add standards, profiles, tools and known users of standards to the Metadata Standards Directory.
RDA Plenary 9 Barcelona
Working group meetings:
Wednesday 5 April 2017
- Breakout 1 - 11:30
- Joint session of WG Empirical Humanities, WG Metadata Standards Catalog: Establishing Protocols for Metadata in the Empirical Humanities
- Breakout 3 - 16:00
- Joint session of IG Metadata, WG Metadata Standards Catalog, IG Data in Context
You may also be interested in these other metadata-related sessions
Thursday 6 April 2017
- Breakout 4 - 09:30
- WG RDA/TD Metadata Standards for the attribution of physical and digital collections stewardship: Developing user roles and data models
- Breakout 6 - 14:00
- WG Fisheries Data Interoperability: Metadata needs for fisheries data interoperability
- Joint session of IG Data Rescue, IG Domain Repositories, IG Metadata, IG Big Data, IG Ethics and Social Aspects of Data: Data rescue
- Joint session of IG RDA/CODATA Materials Data, Infrastructure Interoperability, WG International Materials Resource Registries, IG Chemistry Research Data, IG Research data needs of the Photon and Neutron Science community, IG Metadata: Enhancing Interoperability across Chemistry, Materials Science, and Photon/Neutron domains through Metadata and Vocabulary
Friday 7 April 2017
- Breakout 8 - 11:00
- Joint session of IG Metadata, IG Data in Context: Evolving Metadata and the Metadata Lifecycle