The Metadata Standards Catalog (MSC) Working Group has produced a machine-actionable catalog of metadata standards submitted by all RDA WGs. The catalog system has an end-user input form and an API for submission from other software. Similarly it has a user interface for query/reporting and an API for software to query and retrieve suitable standards information. The MSC is a fundamental tool in any autonomic e-research fabric.
This work builds on the outputs of the Metadata Standards Directory Working Group: both the Metadata Standards Directory (MSD) itself and the set of attendant use cases.
Further details about the work are available on the MSCWG Wiki.
Metadata Principles and their Use
The RDA metadata groups have developed and endorsed a set of five principles for metadata that they believe the wider RDA should adopt and promote.
The Metadata Standards Catalog is available. Please do contribute by adding new standards, new versions of standards, and filling out any missing information.
You can inspect the source code by visiting the GitHub repository. Even though the main, initial development phase is over, the Catalog will continue to be maintained and developed.
RDA Plenary 13 Philadelphia Joint Meeting: IG Metadata, IG Data in Context, WG Metadata Standards Catalog
Thursday April 4 Breakout 8 – 11:00 – 12:30
Room Commonwealth B – Remote Participation https://www.rd-alliance.org/p13-gotomeeting-commonwealth-b
- Present the Metadata Standards Catalog and transition to a maintenance group;
- Present the current status of the metadata element set and next steps;
- Ensure coordination among the metadata groups and representatives of domain (subject area) groups and other infrastructure groups attending; identify cross-group liaisons among the group;
- Discuss status of the Data in Context IG and call for a new co-chair.
- Welcome, Introductions, and Review Objectives of the Meeting
- Metadata Standards Catalog WG Update
- Update on Metadata Element Set
- Perspectives from other Groups:
- RDA / TDWG Metadata Standards for attribution of physical and digital collections stewardship WG - Anne Thessen
- Data Discovery Paradigms IG – Mingfang Wu
- Vocabulary methods and the topic dimension of metadata – Charles Vardeman
- GO FAIR- Erik Schultes
- Chemistry Research Data IG – Ian Bruno
- Group Discussion and Identification of cross-group liaisons
- Future of Data in Context IG