Skip to main content

Notice

We are in the process of rolling out a soft launch of the RDA website, which includes a new member platform. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Visitors may encounter functionality issues with group pages, navigation, missing content, broken links, etc. As you explore the new site, please provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Thank you for your understanding and support as we work through all issues as quickly as possible. Stay updated about upcoming features and functionalities: https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/

RE: [rda-datafabric-ig] RE: [rda-datafabric-ig] Re: [rda-datafabric-ig] Re: [rda…

• Creator
    Discussion

Ah ok Rebecca.
    Peter
    From: rkoskela=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of rkoskela
    Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:06 PM
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-datafabric-ig] RE: [rda-datafabric-ig] Re: [rda-datafabric-ig] Re: [rda…
    Peter,
    I wanted to address your comment “perhaps DataONE” with respect to lists of
    registries. DataONE does not maintain a list of trusted registries. DataONE is a federation of Member Nodes (repositories) but we do not maintain a list of
    trusted repositories.
    Perhaps someone from the Domain Repositories IG could respond to this?
    Rebecca
    Executive Director, DataONE
    University of New Mexico
    1312 Basehart SE
    Albuquerque, NM 87106
    Email: ***@***.***
    Cell: (505) 382-0890
    Fax: (505) 246-6007
    On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 4:26 AM, Peter Wittenburg
    wrote:
    Let me just add that I also agree with what is said.
    – We need to define a set of attributes that contains information for humans but also information for machines. Trust is mostly about the first (human information) but not only – EUDAT for example runs automatic processes about availability of services and presents it as graphics etc. This requires for example that in the attribute set you find a machine readable statement which services are offered and statements how to contact these services.
    – So let me come back to Larry’s earlier question. Is there a list? Yes and no I would answer. I know about two suggestions without having looked into all details: re3data (merged now with databib) and GOCDB. Therefore I am grateful to Herman and Tom to have looked into this. There will be more out there (perhaps in DataONE) since any federated approach must have a registry of this sort. This would be for me one example to start a WG to sort out what kind of attribute set is required, but then also look from the DF perspective – namely information that allows our machines to find and interpret information. Perhaps one of the existing solutions does exactly what we need, but we first should compare and evaluate. So – here is a new WG and this is very important to me.
    See you tomorrow 🙂
    Peter