RDA Interest Group Charter
Name of Interest Group: Data Discovery Paradigms IG
An emerging statement on research data is that it should be FAIR: “Findable, Accessible, Interpretable and Reusable”. To comply with the first of these criteria, being Findable, we need a data infrastructure that supports users in discovering research data regardless of its location or the manner in which it is stored, described and exposed. This is a significant and growing challenge, as the number of research data repositories, and the need for cross-disciplinary data discovery, increases. This interest group aims to explore common elements and shared issues that those who search for data, and who build systems that enable data search, share.
The objectives for this interest group are to provide a forum where representatives from across the spectrum of stakeholders and roles pertaining to data search can discuss issues related to improving data discovery. The goal is to identify concrete deliverables such as a registry of data search engines, common test datasets, usage metrics, and a collection of data search use cases and competency questions.
Key questions the IG wishes to address:
At RDAP8, we identified a long list of topics pertaining to data discovery, which were then voted by the group members to a shortlist of 10 topics. The top 5 of these have been selected as the key Task Forces which the group is focusing on (linked to the wiki page for each Task Force); three of them have started working already:
For more details on the full list of potential task forces and the process followed in selecting them, please see the page on Task Forces.
- Sept 2016 – We held a very well-attended kickoff meeting at RDA Plenary 8: https://rd-alliance.org/ig-developing-paradigms-data-discovery-rda-8th-plenary-meeting, where topics were identified,
- Sept-Dec 2016 —Through an online voting mechanism, the top 5 topics for Task Forces were determined, and chairs for these Task Forces Identified
- Jan - April 2017 — Task forces hold meetings determining scope, deliverables and timelines
- April 5, 2017 — We held a meeting of the IG at RDA Plenary 9 to discuss Task Forces' scope, plans and deliverables. see Minutes here
- May - Sept 2017 — Activities proceed for Task Forces
- Sept 2017 — RDA Plenary 10; IG meets, Task Forces report back..
- NASA’s WG on Search Relevancy – focus is on improving search result relevance for EOSDIS data
- ESIP’s Information Quality Cluster and NASA’s WG on Data Quality are both addressing ways of capturing and conveying quality information
- W3C’s Best Practices for Spatial Data on the Web aims to improve discoverability and accessibility of geodata
Other RDA IGs whose activities are of interest and who we will interact with:
- Research data collections
The Data Discovery Paradigms Interest Group is open to all members and encourages active participation through the Task Force mechanism. Task Forces have phone coniferences on a regular basis. To become active in either the Task Forces or propose other activities for the IG,, please contact the Chairs.