Working meeting on Research Data Repository Interoperability
Short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group:
Research data are stored in a wide variety of repository platforms, using disparate data modeling and metadata standards, file formats, and conventions. It is often necessary to migrate data from one repository platform to another, share data between different repositories, and disseminate repository resources to a variety of services. These tasks are made difficult, and in some cases impossible, by a lack of interoperability between different repository platforms.
The Research Data Repository Interoperability Working Group will establish standards for interoperability between different research data repository platforms. These standards may include (but are not limited to) a generic API and import/export formats.
During the first BoF session held at P7 the basic ideas of the group were presented and a draft of the case statement was discussed. The case statement was accepted a few months later, and the group met at P8 to review technologies and standards related to the state of the art section of the case statement and discuss next steps. The group has now started drafting the first deliverable, a primer document on standards and technologies for repository interoperability.
Additional links to informative material related to the group i.e. group page, Case statement, working documents etc
* Group Page @ rd-alliance.org: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/research-data-repository-interoperabi...
* Case Statement: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/research-data-repository-interoperabil...
* Meeting notes from the WG session at P8: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/research-data-repository-interoperabil...
* Primer document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K2Qzp3I3xhn_YXU-t_UoHaTsjHIs4aVUSSw4...
1. Review and finalize primer document
2. Identify functionalities and exchange formats
3. Plan next steps (e.g. format of final deliverable)
1. Introduction (15 min), Group Co-Chairs
2. Presentation of Primer Document (15 min), Group Co-Chairs
3. Finalization of Primer Document, e.g. collection of missing aspects, further thoughts (30 min), All Attendees
4. Prepare/discuss next steps, e.g. identification of functionalities, exchange formats (and kind of final deliverable, e.g. specification, tool, service...) (25 min), All Attendees
5. Summary (5 min), Group Co-Chairs
The target audience of this meeting may include research data repository developers and providers as well as users interested in the topic of research data repository interoperability. In order to get the basic idea behind this group reading the documents mentioned above could help.
Group chairs serving as contacts: David Wilcox
Group maturity: 0-6 months