Data Versioning WG Working Meeting
Collaborative session notes
(link to be added)
The demand for reproducibility of research results is growing, Therefore it will become increasingly important for a researcher to be able to cite the exact extract of the data set that was used to underpin their research publication. However, systematic data versioning practices are currently not available.
Versioning procedures and best practices are well established for scientific software and can be used enable reproducibility of scientific results. The codebase of large software projects does bear some semblance to large dynamic datasets. Are therefore versioning practices for code also suitable for data sets or do we need a separate suite of practices for data versioning? How can we apply our knowledge of versioning code to improve data versioning practices?
We invite data scientists, operators of data repositories, and anyone who is interested in moving data versioning forward, to attend.
Working Group Page: https://rd-alliance.org/groups/data-versioning-wg
Case Statement: https://rd-alliance.org/group/data-versioning-wg/case-statement/data-ver...
Data Versioning Use Cases: https://rd-alliance.org/data-versioning-use-cases
Notes from P11 Berlin: https://www.rd-alliance.org/data-versioning-wg-notes-p11-berlin
Presentation from P11 Berlin: https://www.rd-alliance.org/data-versioning-wg-presentation-p11
Notes from P10 Montreal: https://rd-alliance.org/notes-data-versioning-session-p10-montreal
Presentation from P10 Montreal: https://rd-alliance.org/data-versioning-presentation-rda-p10
Notes from Denver Plenary BoF meeting: https://www.rd-alliance.org/data-versioning-rda-8th-plenary-bof-meeting
The objective of this session is to establish a work plan for this RDA Working Group on developing agreed practices for Data Versioning. This includes:
1. Identifying other areas where versioning is required and/or other use cases:
- Identifying other groups in RDA and planning of how to engage
- Identifying other external groups
- Overview of already collected use cases
- Seeking further documented cases where groups and organisations are undertaking data versioning.
2. Discussing ways to categorise use cases
3. Develop the outline of a white paper on recommendations for versioning:
- Spectrum of data types to be included (files, databases, unstructured data, model runs, etc.),
- How to align these with the practices for the assignment of persistent identifiers.
- Identify other topics that should be included
2. Recap of Why, How and What of Data Versioning
3. Review of use cases, including the W3C Dataset Exchange Use Cases and Requirements (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TfBPlfjTVg0YcFxuw0UszAXPYrRmyZ6PCxtx...
Use case examples
4. Review of preliminary results from use cases documentation project
5. Work plan for RDA Data Versioning WG
6. Engagement with other RDA and external groups
7. Outline of white paper on data versioning practices
8. Scheduling of online meetings up to Plenary 13
- Members of the Working Group.
- Data scientists and operators of data repositories
- Data producers and users
- Anyone who is interested in moving data versioning forward.
- Review already collected use cases
- Contribute new use cases
Group chair serving as contact person
Type of meeting