Polar Data Forum III
Following conversations at the Polar Data Planning Summit in Boulder, and the Polar Data and Systems and Architecture Workshop in Geneva in 2018, we are pleased to announce that the Third Polar Data Forum (PDF III) will be hosted by the Finnish Meteorological Institute at thair Dynamicum campus in Helsinki from November 18th to 22nd, 2019. PDF III will be co-organized with regional partners including the INTAROS project in conjunction with the EU Arctic Cluster, the Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research, and other European organizations. The Forum will be co-convened by the IASC-SAON Arctic Data Committee, Southern Ocean Observing System, Standing Committee on Antarctic Data Management, the World Data System and other organizations engaged in polar data management.
PDF III will be a two day conference style meeting in support of information exchange, with the remainder of the week using a “hackathon” approach that will build on the development work done in Boulder, Geneva and other related meetings.
Third Polar Data Forum Themes and Activities
A call for papers, and posters for presentation on Days 1 and 2, and working or hackathon activities for Days 3,4,5 will be announced soon. We will welcome papers and posters on a wide variety of different topics related to polar data management, widely defined.
Paper and Poster Themes
- Community and network building
- Data discovery and federated search
- All aspects of data interoperability (syntactical, structural, semantic, social)
- Standards and protocols to improve data access
- Analysis of user needs
- Enabling data reuse for multiple audiences
- Ethical utilization of data derived from Indigenous knowledge and community based monitoring
- Data management for polar social science and humanities
- Cloud computing and other advanced analytical methods and platforms
- Sensor webs and observing systems
- Critical studies on polar data management (e.g. Science and Technology Studies)
- Any topic relevant to polar data
Working and Hackathon Activity Themes
Based on past meetings, workshops and conferences, several working activities and hackathon themes have been identified. A broad call will be announced here soon.
- Policy, Broader Context and Scenarios: A two day working meeting focused on further developing data policy and enhancing practices; situating polar data within the broader contexts of research, development of observing systems, and society; and establishing priority scenarios and use cases (follow on the Polar Data Planning Summit)
- Enhancing Polar Federated Search: A two day hackathon focused on reducing fragmentation of data discovery through enhancement of federated search and alignment of metadata standards and schemas.
- Understanding and applying controlled vocabularies and formal semantics: A one and half day guided hackathon focused first (half day) on educating non-experts on the use and development of formal vocabularies and semantics in research, observing, community and other applications.