IMBBC / HCMR Heraklion Crete, Greece, 15 -16 June 2017
All data enthusiasts: data scientists and practitioners, students, researchers, representatives from both private and public sector, that work to improve the aquaculture, fisheries, marine and environmental management, or develop ICT solutions for environmental and socio economics are invited to join the datathon co-organised by the RDA-Europe and BlueBRIDGE from June 15 to 16, 2017, in Heraklion, Crete, Greece.
The event is kindly hosted by the Institute of Marine Biology, Biotechnology and Aquaculture of the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (IMBBC/HCMR).
During the 2-day datathon the participants will brainstorm on the following challenges:
- Developing a holistic approach to spatial planning for marine protected areas based on knowledge transfer and integration
- Assessing new fisheries and aquaculture activities and mainstreaming environmental and socioeconomic indicators
- Incorporating socio-economic and environmental data in aquaculture assessment, strategic planning and performance analysis
The challenge is to fuel new thinking in the holistic analysis of satellite, environmental, biological and socio economic data and the interactions between fisheries, aquaculture and the marine spatial planning. Copernicus, EMODnet, BlueBRIDGE, FAO, Eurostat, Natura2000 are among the relevant datasets that will be made available.
The expected outcome will include a vision to cope with a wide range of topics in the planning processes that include EU data services and follow EU Directives:
How to fit aquaculture sites in the local natural and human seascapes?
What are the common data needs for aquaculture and marine spatial planning?
What are the perceived data gaps, and how can these be filled?
How to factor in future impacts such as climate change and nutrient pollution?
The event is of particular interest for students, master students, PhD students, post docs, early career researchers, SMEs, scientists and experts from start-ups.
Join this data-focused datathon to apply your knowledge, challenge yourself in the hands-on competition and gain new skills! Prizes are also included!
Registration to the Datathon is free of charge but required.
Please note that financial support is available to facilitate participation to the Datathon. To request this please follow the instructions on the registration form.
Note that the deadline for the requests is the 25th of May 2017 midnight CEST. The organisers will cover the accommodation costs (2 nights - 14 and 15 June 2017) in a four star hotel in Heraklion city center. Requests will be evaluated by the organising committee on the basis of the applicant's CV, interests and current activities.
09:30 - 10:00: Welcome & Openings
- ATHENA Research Center - Eleni Petra, Project Manager
- HCMR/IMBBC - Antonis Magoulas, Director
- FORTH, Nektarios Tavernarakis - Chairman of the Board of Directors and Professor at the Medical School of the University of Crete
- Region of Crete - Eleni Hatziyianni, Director of Environment & Spatial Planning,Coordinator of EU Projects
- Heraklion Municipality - Vice-Mayor responsible for the European Affairs
10:00 - 11:00: Introducing the datathon context and challenges
- The Research Data Alliance - Fotis Karayannis, ATHENA Research Center, RDA Secretariat and RDA Europe
- The BlueBRIDGE project - Pasquale Pagano, National Research Council of Italy, CNR-ISTI and BlueBRIDGE Technical Director
- Big data for fisheries and aquaculture - Konstantinos Stergiou, HCMR IMBRIW
11:00 - 11:30: Coffee break
11:30 - 13:30: Datathon datasets & tools
13:30 - 14:30: Networking Lunch
14:30 - 18:00: Datathon kick-off
- Brief overview of the datathon datasets - Panagiota Koltsida & Dimitris Gavrilis, ATHENA Research Center
- Brainstorming and practical sessions where participants can use the datasets, the methods and technologies presented
Evening - Social dinner at the “Εν πλω” - “En plo” Restaurant, kindly offered by the organisers.
09:00 - 11:00: Datathon (Brainstorming and practical sessions where participants can use the datasets, the methods and technologies presented)
11:00 - 11:30: Coffee break
11:30 - 13:00: Datathon (Brainstorming and practical sessions where participants can use the datasets, the methods and technologies presented)
13:00 - 14:00: Networking Lunch
14:00 - 15:00: Presentations from the teams
15:00 - 15:30: Coffee break
15:30 - 16:00: Datathon award ceremony
16:00 - 16:30: Wrap up and conclusions