- The 2020 Council Nominations Committee is seeking nominations for 3 open Council positions.
- Nominations consist of a Nominations Letter (candidates may self-nominate) and two endorsements (see “Application Process” for specifics).
- Nominations should be sent by email no later than 31 January 2020 at 23:59 UTC (see “Application Process” for specifics).
- Elected Council members will serve for 3 years starting 10 April 2020 after elections have closed and the slate has been approved by the RDA membership.
Council members are expected to be “statespersons” committed to supporting the aims of RDA rather than promoting special interests, regions, domains or disciplines. Since RDA is an international organization, it is important that the Council also reflect geographic, gender, and cultural diversity. Learn more about the RDA Council.
Successful nominees are expected to:
- Be committed to the success of RDA and focus on the benefits to RDA Global over other (and regional) priorities as part of RDA Council discussions and efforts.
- Have experience working successfully with a stakeholder community and be willing to do the same on behalf of RDA.
- Be willing to engage actively in RDA as defined by attendance at Council meetings, attendance at Plenaries, responsiveness to RDA Council and other communications and email, and appropriate other RDA participation and travel.
- Be able to represent the entire RDA community and not their particular region, profession, expertise, or other category.
- Contribute good judgement, strategic thinking, shared responsibility, time and attention to Council discussions and efforts.
- Collaborate well and respectfully with other Council members, RDA leaders, and RDA members.
Nominators should send a pdf package that includes a letter of nomination and two letters of endorsement (all from RDA members) to Councilfirstname.lastname@example.org by 31 January 2020 at 23:59 UTC. Interested candidates may self-nominate but not self-endorse.
Nominations should include a short biography of the nominee and describe how the nominee fits the expectations for a successful nominee provided above.
Letters of endorsement should describe why the nominee would be a successful Council member.
RDA Council terms will complete after Plenary 15 (10 April 2020) for:
- Sandra Collins
- Edit Herczog
- Helen Kay Raseroka
Both Sandra Collins and Edit Herczog are eligible to be re-nominated for a second term, Helen Kay Raseroka is completing her second term and is not eligible to be re-nominated. The Nominations Committee will determine a slate of 3 distinguished individuals by 10 March 2020.
As defined in the Governance Document, Council chooses a Nomination Committee each year. The Council Nomination Committee for 2020 will consist of:
- Mark Leggott (Chair, representing Council)
- Rebecca Koskela (OAB, US)
- Helen Kay Raseroka (Council, BW)
- Frankie Stevens (TAB, AU)
- Dina Paltoo (Funders, US)
This group provides diverse community and governance representation while still keeping the Nominations Committee small enough to be effective.
15 NOVEMBER 2019: Call for nominations for new Council members published.
31 JANUARY 2020: Call for Nominations closes at 23:59 UTC.
1 FEBRUARY – 3 MARCH 2020: Nomination Committee members to (virtually) meet and determine a slate.
10 MARCH 2020: Slate for the new Council members is announced
18 MARCH – 1 APRIL 2020: RDA membership voting open on the slate.
3 APRIL 2020: Outcome of the elections announced to the RDA community on the web site.
10 APRIL 2020: New Council members will join Council and Council members completing their terms will depart from Council.
 To get the most from the RDA budget, Council members are asked to seek financial support for their service through their home organizations or regional RDAs if they exist and it is possible.