- The 2019 Council Nominations Committee solicits nominations for 3 open Council positions.
- Nominations consist of a Nominations Letter (candidates may self-nominate) and two endorsements (see below for specifics).
- Nominations are due to Councilemail@example.com by 10 February 2019.
- Elected Council members will serve for 3 years starting April 2019 after elections have closed and the slate has been approved by the RDA membership.
Council members are expected to be “statespersons” committed to supporting the aims of the RDA rather than promoting special interests, regions, domains or disciplines. Since RDA is an international organization, it is important that the Council also reflect geographic, gender, and ethnic diversity.
Successful nominees are expected to
- Be committed to the success of RDA and focus on the benefits to RDA/international over other (and regional) priorities as part of RDA Council discussions and efforts.
- Have experience working successfully with a stakeholder community and be willing to do the same on behalf of RDA.
- Be willing to engage actively in RDA as defined by attendance at Council meetings, attendance at Plenaries, responsiveness to RDA Council and other communications and email, and appropriate other RDA participation and travel.
- Be able to represent the entire RDA community and not just their particular region, profession, expertise, or other category.
- Contribute good judgement, strategic thinking, shared responsibility, time and attention to and in Council discussions and efforts.
- Collaborate well and respectfully with other Council members, RDA leaders, and RDA members.
Nominators should send a pdf package that includes a letter of nomination and two letters of endorsement (all from RDA members) to Councilfirstname.lastname@example.org by 10 February 2019. Interested candidates may self-nominate but not self-endorse.
- Nominations should include a short biography of the nominee and describe how the nominee fits the expectations for successful nominee provided above
- Letters of endorsement should describe why the nominee would be a successful Council member
RDA Council terms will complete after Plenary 13 (April 2019) for:
- Fran Berman
- Jean-Bernard Minster
- Ross Wilkinson
Jean-Bernard Minster is eligible to be re-nominated for a second term, Fran Berman and Ross Wilkinson are completing their second terms and are not eligible to be re-nominated. The Nominations Committee will determine a slate of 3 distinguished individuals to replace these Council members by 24 March 2019.
As defined in the Governance Document, Council chooses a Nomination Committee each year. The Council Nomination Committee for 2019 will consist of:
- Ross Wilkinson (Chair, representing Council)
- Françoise Genova (representing TAB)
- Kevin Ashley (representing OAB)
- Matthew Lucas (representing the Funders’ Forum)
- Devika Madalli (representing WGs/community)
This group provides diverse representation in a number of ways while still keeping the Nominations Committee small enough to be effective.
- NOVEMBER 2018: Call for nominations for new Council members published. End date for nominations is February 10, 2019, midnight UTC.
- FEBRUARY 2019: Nomination Committee members to (virtually) meet and determine a slate. Members are expected to informally consult with the community and solicit applications as needed to create a strong pool of potential Council members.
- 24 MARCH 2019: Slate for the new Council members is announced
- 2 – 16 APRIL 2019: RDA membership voting open on the slate.
- APRIL 2019: On election of the slate, new Council members will join Council and Council members completing their terms will depart from Council.
 To get the most from the RDA budget, Council members are asked to seek financial support for their service through their home organizations or regional RDAs if they exist and it is possible.