The Scholix Working Group is in maintenance mode, focussing on adoption of the Scholix metadata schema and growing the Scholix community. The objectives of this session at the RDA Plenary are as follows:
- Introduction to Scholix for new users
- Update on the adoption of Scholix, looking at the number of data citations, broken down by repository, publisher, discipline and over time
- updates on the activities of the Scholix community, in particular work on bibliometrics for data citations
- open discussion about most important blockers for adoption, and work needed going forward in 2020
Collaborative session notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fFIxoyAAmrPypIqWTBS0TUIqz8TO5N4jhBzZIUkSWkQ/edit?usp=sharing
Introduction to Scholix (15 min)
Scholix in numbers (OpenAIRE 10 min, DataCite/Crossref 10 min)
Using Scholix for Bibliometrics (Meaningful Data Counts Project, 15 min)
What are the big problems the Scholix community hasn’t solved yet?
What is the work that should be done to address those problems in 2020?
- Data repositories who want to understand better how to contribute to and consume data citations with Scholix,
- Publishers who want to understand better how to contribute data citations from their publications to Scholix,
- Consumers (e.g. SMEs, scholarly services) of Scholix data citation links who want to better understand how they can re-use the information collected and distributed by the Scholix community,
- Scholix hubs who want to learn more about how to help with Scholix adoption.
The working group has generated a Scholix metadata schema, has helped implement this schema in multiple Scholix hubs and other infrastructure providers, and has built a community that provides Data citation services. The group is in maintenance mode since 2019 and continues to work on Scholix adoption.
The working group is in maintenance mode, but continues to meet regularly in monthly calls and in RDA plenaries. The focus of the group’s work continues to be on adoption of the working group recommendations.
Working Group Recommendation
Burton, A., Fenner, M., Haak, W., & Manghi, P. (2017). Scholix Metadata Schema For Exchange Of Scholarly Communication Links. https://doi.org/10.5281/ZENODO.1120265
Scholix Metadata Schema
La Bruzzo, S., & Manghi, P. (2017). The Scholix Metadata Schema (Json And Xml). Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/ZENODO.1120275
Open Citations data dump in Scholix format
OpenCitations. (2020). COCI Scholix dataset of all the citation data [Data set]. figshare. https://doi.org/10.6084/M9.FIGSHARE.11663574
Bibliometric analysis of Scholix data
Khan, N., Pink, C. J., & Thelwall, M. (2020). Identifying Data Sharing and Reuse with Scholix: Potentials and Limitations. Patterns, 1(1), 100007. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.PATTER.2020.100007
- 2035 reads