The objective of this meeting is to gather practitioners involved in education and training on handling research data, from Data Science to Research Data Management to discuss activities, community initiatives and projects and how they might benefit from coordination and cooperation, along with current coordination and cooperation activities in these areas.
Contributing to the RDA16 Plenary theme “Knowledge Ecology”, the meeting addresses the importance of understanding, creating, and connecting the dynamic interacting systems involved in providing and supporting education and training on handling research data, and how these make Open Research possible.
- Discovering existing education and training materials that successfully employ innovative or traditional pedagogy and andragogy
- Identifying materials in ways that assist in assessing appropriateness of use, e.g., audience, goals, required competencies
- Creating and enriching materials so that they can be reused, connected to each other, and understood in context to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of engaging citizens, students, and researchers in the creation of knowledge ecosystems by building the data user and communicator community.
Collaborative Notes Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cYFPeDmCd9A6ErzK7uWhRBMO9ogVTDZmuSYk...
(this document will not be used:
As this meeting is virtual, we will be employing a flipped structure, which we found successful for P15. All presentations will be pre-recorded and posted to the RDA youtube channel or designated venue, and we invite the community to prepare questions to be answered in the Plenary session. We will host two remote, synchronous meetings at globally amenable times for discussion and work progression.
- Costa Rican education, training efforts and challenges
- Innovative research data training initiatives from CeNAT (Mariana Cubero)
- Costa Rican experience with RDA/CoData School (Marcela Alfaro)
- Aligned efforts
- Data Stewardship IG
- Research Schemas WG
- Current ETHRD-IG focus group work
- Training materials repositories overview
- Minimal metadata for training materials
- Extended documentation for training materials
Synchronous meeting agenda:
- Welcome and agenda. Attendee brief introductions - 15 min
- Group administrative business - 5 min
- Questions for presenters - 30 min
- From submitted questions
- From attendees
- Group discussion and steps forward on previously identified action areas - 25 min
- Any other business - 10 min
- Summary and next steps and assignments - 5 min
This meeting will be of benefit to:
- those directly involved in teaching and training data skills
- policy developers working on increasing capacity and enabling data skills
- projects and initiatives focused on data related skills development
- funders with similar requirements
- librarians working with research data
- representatives from Higher Education Institutes
- repository administrators and developers
- metadata architects
Attendees can prepare by:
The IG-ETHRD provides a venue for exchanging information about existing developments and initiatives related to education and training on research data handling. The IG scope includes creation of taxonomies of the competences and skills required by different groups of data specialists/professionals that will provide a basis for recognition of new professions in the data field and for defining required educational elements and training curricula.
This meeting will focus on the commonly recognised demand for data management, data literacy and analytics skills in most research domains and industry. Providing necessary education and training is critical to uncovering the benefits of Open Data, realising the potential of data-driven research, and increasing the efficiency and impact of all modes of research.
In this session we will be building upon past work of the IG to continue work within the current context of the data professional education environment and contribute to the work of the IG in ways that will benefit existing initiatives and uncover new initiatives, ripe for synergistic contributions. The goal is to address data science and research data handling education and training by facilitating information exchange and cooperation between efforts around the world that are supporting the education of data professionals and training of those handling research data.
The ETHRD-IG is a well-established recognised group of long standing, having started in...2013! Through this time we have remained a populous group with a variety of interests, supporting work in multiple areas across a wide community, counting more than 300 members. The IG is a central venue at RDA to exchange and coordinate numerous training activities at RDA and associated European, US and worldwide projects on data related skills development and curricula development. We remain an open group, welcome to new-comers and old-timers, as the work of education and training is never done.
Our recent initiatives include:
- Focus group on creating an inventory of repositories for training materials
- Focus group on creating recommendations for minimal metadata for training materials
- Focus group on creating recommendations for extended documentation for training materials