- Tuesday, 31 March 2020, from 11:00 a.m UTC to 12:30 p.m. UTC
- Remote access registration: https://aarnet.zoom.us/meeting/register/vJcscu-grD8smsYDCvyHKEcRw2riaBG9Xw
- Collaborative Notes Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xj0gjEQLukUpet_ZGExHJBe-UpdEXFQ9Tgjf...
There are a variety of choices for selecting the implementation of a data repository to attain operational capabilities and serve data users. Choices for such decision-making can include on-site installations, outsourced support, hosted services, distributed systems, consortia, or other choices, such as internal platform development or adoption of an existing platform.
- describe the implementation of repository systems and services, and trade-offs for attaining operational capabilities and future needs from the perspective of repository managers, developers, researchers, archivists, and data users.
- describe the criteria for choices of repository and capabilities, including managerial, financial, and organizational issues, as well as in terms of schedules, performance, operational capabilities, and data user needs.
The presentations will be followed by a discussion of the choices, trade-off, and issues involved when implementing a data repository. The intended outcomes of the session will be the identification of current approaches for implementing data repository platforms, criteria for selecting particular implementation approaches, and trade-offs and issues for weighing such criteria.
- Repository Implementation Approaches: Choices and Decisions. Robert R. Downs, Kerstin A. Lehnert, Devan Ray Donaldson, Lili Zhang, and João Silva (~15 minutes)
- Research Data and CloudStor: Going Beyond a Simple Sync and Share Storage Service. Gavin Kennedy (~15 minutes)
- CSIRO Data Access Portal. Sue Cook (~15 minutes)
- Custom Development and On-Site Implementation of a Data Repository. Thomas Jejkal
- Discussion of Repository Implementation Choices, including on-site installations, outsourced support, hosted services, distributed systems, consortia, internal platform development, and adopting an existing platform (~30 minutes)
Data archivists, managers, distributors, producers and users;
Repository managers and depositors of research data;
Institutional hosts, sponsors, and users of research data repositories;
Data archivists and managers planning to establish a research data repository;
Developers of repository platforms for research data; and
Data repository service providers.
Research data repositories facilitate data sharing by offering platforms to acquire, store, archive, publish, curate, preserve, and access data. The Repository Platforms for Research Data (RPRD) Interest Group (IG) strives to improve the capabilities of repository platforms to enable the use of data for various purposes. When implementing a data repository, organizations are faced with a variety of choices for the approach to be taken. Considerations for such decisions might be influenced by available resources or by previous experiences of the organization or of other organizations. Similarly, after operating a data repository, organizations might decide to change their approach, either due to changes within the organization or from observations of other data repositories. During the session, various implementation approaches will be discussed, based on the experiences of data repositories, to inform decisions when considering possible implementation approaches.
The Repository Platforms for Research Data (RPRD) Interest Group has been quite active during the last few years and has found that the RDA community is very interested in improving the capabilities of repository platforms. The RPRD IG initiated the creation of the Research Data Repositories Interoperability WG, which has completed its activities. The RPRD IG also has explored the creation of a new WG on Repository Interfaces for Data Analytics (RIDA), which held a BoF session during RDA P14. The RPRD IG also has begun exploring the creation of one or more RDA WGs that focus on repository support for data policies.
Group Page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/repository-platforms-research-data.html
Group Output: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/repository-platforms-research-data-ig/outcomes/matrix-use-cases-and-functional-requirements
Group Charter: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/repository-platforms-research-data/case-statement/repository-platforms-research-data-case
Repository Interoperability WG Group Page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/research-data-repository-interoperability-wg.html
- 4062 reads