status: Recognised & Endorsed

Chair (s): Nadica Miljković, Julien Colomb

Group Email: [group_email]

Secretariat Liaison:


How to get involved with this interest Group?

 


The design and production of research hardware i.e., physical artefacts, including mechanical, electrical and software components, have always been an integral part of scientific research. Research hardware can refer to application-oriented development prototypes, as well as to research equipment such as custom-made scientific laboratory build-ups. The open science hardware community has been encouraging the dissemination of research hardware design information under free and open licenses upon scientific publication - in addition to other research outputs like data and software. It has been fostering the idea of "open hardware (OH) from academia". For dissemination of OH, information products such as bills of materials (BOMs), Computer-Aided Design (CAD) files, assembly instructions and other types of digital assets (e.g., 3D printable models for additive manufacturing) are commonly used (Bonvoisin et al., 2017). This may also comprise a software component required for the application of hardware.

 

However, guidelines for enhancing reusability of research hardware are missing and need to be encouraged (Ezoji, Boujut, & Pinquié, 2021). Good practices from research data include FAIR principles (Wilinson et al., 2016) aiming at increased findability, accessibility, interoperability, and reusability of data by both humans and machines. Recent advances through the work of the Research Data Alliance (RDA), the FAIR for Research Software group (FAIR4RS WG), the Research Software Alliance (ReSA), and others highlighted the importance of adapting the FAIR principles for research software. We believe that the redefinition of FAIR principles for the domain of research hardware can facilitate and improve OH dissemination practices. Moreover, so-called "closed hardware" or "partially-closed hardware" may also benefit from the application of reoriented FAIR principles.

 

In this group, we would like to build on previous work (Miljković, Trisovic, & Peer, 2021) and aim at defining FAIR principles for research hardware. We will follow the example of the FAIR4RS WG: Our work will focus on unique characteristics of hardware in relation to existing FAIR principles for data and software. We will emphasise the importance of research hardware documentation, available technology, knowledge and components (or lack thereof), and specific demands for hardware licensing. Also, complex dependencies to other hardware and software components will be discussed.

 

This interest group aims to collaborate with the OH community (GOSHOSHWA), scientific research projects involving OH (Open.Make, OPENNEXT), maker communities, and the RDA community to facilitate open discussions on FAIR principles for research hardware. Please join us in this endeavour!

Posts

17
November
2022

November meeting.

by Julien Colomb

Dear all, We will meet next week as usual on the last Wednesday of the month, 10 am CET. I will make a poll to set the time for our December meeting, shortly after the meeting. Agenda: - welcome new members - current outreach activities - Definition of research hardware subgroup progress - next steps. For other infos and links, see the minutes of previous meeting at: https://etherpad.hu-berlin.de/ep/p/g.b9vQvzly2nMJWI6l$FAIR4RH-1
0 | Add new comment
09
November
2022

Invitation to participate in 'A Decade of Data: 10 Years of the RDA' events and activities

by Connie Clare

Good day, The RDA Secretariat would like to invite the FAIR Principles for Research Hardware to participate in ‘A Decade of Data’: Celebrating 10 Years of the Research Data Alliance’. 10 months to celebrate 10 years of the RDA
0 | Add new comment
25
October
2022

[Fwd: [fair4rh] FAIR4RH September and october meeting]

by Nadica Miljković

Dear all, This is just a kind reminder that we have a monthly meeting tomorrow (October 26, 2022) at 10 am CET. Please, find the meeting minutes at the Etherpad - https://etherpad.hu-berlin.de/ep/p/g.b9vQvzly2nMJWI6l$FAIR4RH-1 and information how to join the meeting and how to subscribe to the calendar below. Best regards, Nadica Miljković -- Assoc. Prof. Nadica Miljković University of Belgrade - School of Electrical Engineering
0 | Add new comment
11
October
2022

DataCite RfC proposes research "instruments"/equipment in the new schema

by Andreas Czerniak

Dear, to share with you, that DataCite has an open call for comments on the new, proposed Version 4.5 of there schema at https://blog.datacite.org/proposed-datacite-metadata-schema-changes-your... . The proposed changes covers also "Support for instruments". The deadline will be October 17, 2022. Best regards, Andreas -- Andreas Czerniak OpenAIRE-Nexus www.openaire.eu
0 | Add new comment
04
October
2022

FAIR4RH September and october meeting

by Julien Colomb

Dear all, See below an invitation to our (next) October meeting. Note that you can directly subscribe to our calendar , and that the we will have a new poll to set the time of the November meeting, as new members may not be able to attend at that time of the day/night.
0 | Add new comment
27
September
2022

monthly meeting fair4rh

by Julien Colomb

Hello all, I am again a late with the reminder, but I am looking forward to meet you all for our monthly meeting tomorrow morning 10 CEST. Agenda: - ice breaker - RDA podcast - Outreach action to engage more people - Next steps See https://etherpad.hu-berlin.de/ep/p/g.b9vQvzly2nMJWI6l$FAIR4RH-1 monthly meeting fair4rh Scheduled: 28. Sep 2022 at 10:00 to 11:00, CEST
0 | Add new comment
07
September
2022

Reach Out Effort Document(ation)

by Alexander Struck

Dear all, I’ve set up a MarkDown document as a starting point for our outreach efforts. https://pad.gwdg.de/fsn-w4kiREqmANvJkZpaNg?both# It’s also linked in the etherpad: https://etherpad.hu-berlin.de/ep/p/g.b9vQvzly2nMJWI6l$FAIR4RH-1 I gave the document some structure and drafted an e-mail template for outreach. I’ve also started collecting contact info for HardwareX editors from several continents.
0 | Add new comment
31
August
2022

FAIR for Research hardware- update

by Julien Colomb

Dear all, Welcome to every new member of our (endorsed) RDA IG. If you cannot remember what this group is about, please read our charter or see our presentation at the last plenary. My apologies again for the very late reminder for today’s meeting.
0 | Add new comment
30
August
2022

Tomorrow's meeting

by Julien Colomb

Dear all, Sorry for the late reminder, we have a catch up meeting tomorrow morning as usual at the last Wednesday of the months at 10 CEST (Paris time). Agenda: https://etherpad.hu-berlin.de/ep/p/g.b9vQvzly2nMJWI6l$FAIR4RH-1 Zoom link:https://hu-berlin.zoom.us/j/4654730503?pwd=alJvSVlnNFJkS1BYZWo1NFQ3d0phZz09 Let’s start defining our strategy to create our document on applying FAIR to hardware !
0 | Add new comment
18
August
2022

Invitation to work on FAIR4RH subgroup: Definition of Research Hardware

by Alexander Struck

Hi everyone, we want to define RH in the context of FAIR. My rewarding experience in the FAIR for Research Software definitions team encouraged me to step forward and chair this subgroup. As you can see from the preliminary document, there are some controversies to solve and we want to collect examples and discuss diverse perspectives or edge cases which shall benefit our definition work. https://docs.google.com/document/d/14vQR_24OXVOLGcEB1frAYqKbRZ_Gc8Dtk6bG...
0 | Add new comment

Pages