status: Recognised & Endorsed

Chair (s): Andrew Treloar, Michel SCHOUPPE, Vivien Bonazzi, Sarah Jones, Devika Madalli, Mark Leggott

Group Email: [group_email]

Secretariat Liaison: Stefanie Kethers


The coordination of data infrastructure on various levels (country, continent, discipline, sector) is on the increase. So called “Open Science Commons” or “Data commons” provide a shared virtual space or platform that provides a marketplace for data and services. Examples include the European Open Science Cloud, the Australian Research Data Commons, the African Open Science Platform, open government portals and initiatives outside traditional research contexts. Coordinating across these initiatives to enable a network of interoperable data commons is the goal. 

The Interest Group will provide a neutral place where people have conversations about Open Science Commons. It will function in a similar vein to the funders forum – space will be given to raise topics of mutual interest, track trends and reach consensus on priorities. The Group will work to reach a shared understanding of what a “Commons” is in the research data space; what functionality, coverage and characteristics does such an initiative require and how can this be coordinated at a global level? The IG Chairs will also proactively look outside the RDA community to connect with parallel initiatives in other spaces, whether in national / regional contexts or in other fora such as the OECD, G7 Open Science Working Group, UN’s Expert Advisory Group on a Data Revolution for Sustainable Development, CODATA, GO-FAIR and others. Recognising the broad scope, we will focus initially on Data Commons and extend to Open Science Commons as work progresses.

This Interest Group is closely aligned to the core mission of RDA as it is inherently engaged in building the social and technical bridges that enable data sharing. It will own the overall remit of coordinating the delivery of a Global Open Science Commons and monitor progress made within related RDA Working Groups and other initiatives to achieve this goal. Indeed, the scope is so large that the Interest Group is expected to run for several years and coordinate across many Working Groups, primarily those that are convened within this RDA IG forum but also aligning with existing WG/IG of relevance.

The Interest Group will help to coordinate and steer initiatives, assisting implementers to maintain focus while also providing wider context and meaning. It will encourage and facilitate global collaboration, helping to minimise data silos and adoption of standards and protocols to facilitate a cross-country and cross-discipline global open science commons. The Group will necessarily be large and diverse, representing many different stakeholder groups, sectors and countries. Chairs come from 5 different continents given the breadth of remit and need for genuine global engagement. 

Posts

21
July
2021

Re: [gorc-ig][gorc_benchmarking] Updated link for WG call 22July2022

by Simon Hodson

Thanks, Karen. I have to give my apologies for tomorrow’s meeting too - meeting clash. S. ___________________________ Webinar on SARS-CoV-2 genomics and data analysis in the UK, 22 July: information and registration Applications Open: CODATA-RDA Research Data Science Summer School 2021, 6 Sept-5 Nov 2021: deadline 27 July Global Open Science Cloud Initiative: introduction event and sign up for WGs and Case studies 1st International Forum on Big Data for Sustainable Development Goals: 6-8 September 2021
0 | Add new comment
21
July
2021

Re: [gorc-ig][gorc_benchmarking] Updated link for WG call 22July2022

by Simon Hodson

Thanks, Karen. I have to give my apologies for tomorrow’s meeting too - meeting clash. S. ___________________________ Webinar on SARS-CoV-2 genomics and data analysis in the UK, 22 July: information and registration Applications Open: CODATA-RDA Research Data Science Summer School 2021, 6 Sept-5 Nov 2021: deadline 27 July Global Open Science Cloud Initiative: introduction event and sign up for WGs and Case studies 1st International Forum on Big Data for Sustainable Development Goals: 6-8 September 2021
0 | Add new comment
21
July
2021

Updated link for WG call 22July2022

by Karen Payne

Hello all,  Mark and Andrew won't be able to attend so I need to switch the zoom link. Please join me at https://uvic.zoom.us/j/3931914804?pwd=RUlkd0toazFpSlFzVHNJSjZyb1Zpdz09 tomorrow (22July). Rolling notes here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/157x8nB0LKODUE1CviWqpVx07s29lEZUovI7bPXmY3wE/edit#  Cheers, Karen
0 | Add new comment
18
June
2021

Help with promotion and invitation to attend Physical Samples Webinar

by Stephanie Hagstrom

Our RDA Physical Samples and Collections IG and the ESIP Physical Sample Curation Cluster Group are, together, presenting a webinar series in 2021 and the first webinar, Supporting Reproducibility by Capturing Physical Sample Data and Metadata in a Connected Electronic Lab Notebook, will be held June 30, 2021, at 14:00 UTC.  Please read more and register here.  
0 | Add new comment
18
June
2021

Help with promotion and invitation to attend Physical Samples Webinar

by Stephanie Hagstrom

Our RDA Physical Samples and Collections IG and the ESIP Physical Sample Curation Cluster Group are, together, presenting a webinar series in 2021 and the first webinar, Supporting Reproducibility by Capturing Physical Sample Data and Metadata in a Connected Electronic Lab Notebook, will be held June 30, 2021, at 14:00 UTC.  Please read more and register here.  
0 | Add new comment
13
April
2021

Topics in Data Discovery - your input sought for RDA P17 session

by Siri Jodha Khalsa

Dear Members of the Global Open Research Commons IG, Since its formation in 2016, the RDA Data Discovery Paradigms IG has consistently sought community input on topics pertaining to the discovery of research data. Leading up to the RDA Plenary next week, we seek input on potential topics of interest so as to ensure that the work of the DDP IG aligns with needs and challenges of the community. You can use moz-do-not-send="true"
0 | Add new comment
18
March
2021

Reminder: Open meeting of GORC-IG to be held next week on March 24 at 01:00 UTC

by Andrew Treloar

Dear members of the GORC-IG, The Global Open Research Commons IG Chairs have submitted a session proposal for P17 that has been acccepted, and would like to provide an opportunity before P17 to allow the larger group to gather and discuss the efforts of the IG and the GORC Benchmarking WG. The WG had a BOF at P16 and has also submitted a charter (in the review stage) and P17 proposal (which has also been accepted). We would really like to hear from all those who have expressed an interest in joining this important effort, so please consider joining us. 
0 | Add new comment

Pages