This is a working area dedicated to RDA-related activities, updates and events in Australasia
If you would like to contribute to the group or receive all RDA in Australasia updates, please register by clicking on the green "Join Group" button on the right. You will then be automatically subscribed to the group mailinglist.
Please also feel free to share your own events and activities via posts to the mailinglist, by creating Wiki pages, or by adding to the group calendar. You can also email email@example.com if you would like information included in this group.
Dr. Kathryn Barker (ORCID) is the Community Development Manager for RDA in Australasia. Please get in touch if you have questions, would like to know more or would like to propose or requent an event.
Upcoming RDA Events
This is the Research Data Alliance's 21st Anniversary Plenary meeting and will be held in a hybrid format.
Watctch the RDA for Newcomers: Making the most of the 21st Plenary here.
The RDA is 10 years old in 2023! See the Calendar of Events for upcoming themed monthly events and recordings and outputs of past events.
Get in volved - propose and event here!
September's theme is Sustainable Development and Responsible Research. Coming up:
- 'RDA for UN SDG 17: Capacity building, data sharing, infrastructure and development' community cross-fertilisation workshop – 26 September – register here
- FAIRPoints 'Ask me Anything' webinar on Equitable and Transparent Access to Information and Knowledge – 26 September – register here
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Building Responsible Open Science Frameworks – 27 September – register here
What else is happening at RDA?
- RDA is featuring at eResearch Australasia (16-19 October, Brisbane, Australia): Come and learn more about RDA, the 10th Anniversary and how you can get involved! Come and meet Kathryn Barker at her poster during the poster session.
- The Community Cross Fertilisation Workshops are bringing working group and interest groups together with emmbers of the RDA community to discuss the challenges and solutions around each monthly theme of the 10th Anniversary. Each workshop has produced a community developed and reviewed workshop summary.
Some Useful Information
The RDA Plenary 20 recordings now available: via the RDA's 20th Plenary: Programme highlights, photos and post-plenary recordings page
RDA Virtual Plenary 18 (3-11 November 2021, Virtual)
Virtual Regional Event (mid-May 2021)
Following the Virtual Regional Event after Plenary 16, we will be running a Virtual Regional Event in mid-May 2021 to pick up on some of the topics discussed and adddressed at the RDA Plenary in a series of virtual meetings. The confirmed sessions are:
For more information on each session, please visit http://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-australia/wiki/rda-virtual-plenary-17-virtual-regional-event
RDA Virtual Plenary 17 (20-23 April 2021, Edinburgh, Scotland)
The Digital Curation Centre in collaboration with Jisc and STFC-UKRI hosted RDA'S 17th Plenary meeting on 20-23 April 2021, as a fully virtual event.
Virtual Regional Event (23-27 November 2020)
From 23-27 November 2020, we ran a free Virtual Regional Event picking up the following topics discussed and adddressed at the RDA Plenary in a series of virtual meetings:
Please visit https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-australia/wiki/rda-virtual-plenary-16-regional-event for more information. We wll also publish slides from the sessions there.
RDA Virtual Plenary 16, 9-12 (10-13) November 2020
- RDA P16 was held as a Virtual Plenary from 9-12 November 2020, which was 10-13 November for our time zones.
- Recordings from the more than 70 breakout sessions, keynotes, and panel discussions will be made available to registered attendees within 24-48 hours (some sessions are already available) and will be accessible at that location for four weeks. After that time, we will be uploading the files to the RDA YouTube account, in the VP16 playlist.
Virtual Poster Session Competition : A special congratulations to Maria Luiza M. Campos and her team, the winner of the VP16 Poster Session who received the most votes from our virtual attendees, for the poster titled ‘VODAN BRAZIL - the Brazilian experience at the Virus Outbreak Data Network’
A more detailed recap of VP16 will be shared with the community in the coming weeks providing statistics, feedback received and lessons learned.
RDA’s Global Adoption Week (15 - 19 June 2020)
Webinars were run each day to demonstrate RDA’s adoptable and adopted solutions to data sharing challenges that people in the field encounter in their daily jobs. Webinar topics will focus on areas of the Research Data Lifecycle and include: Data Management (Monday), Data Description (Tuesday), Identity-Store-Preserve (Wednesday), Disseminate-Link-Find (Thursday), Policy-Legal Compliance-Capacity (Friday).
Please visit https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-global-adoption-week-15-19-june-2020 to acces the recordings.
RDA Virtual Plenary (18 March - 10 April 2020)
After the cancellation of RDA Plenary 15, which was to be held in Melbourne from 18-20 March 2020, RDA facilitated a Virtual Plenary (VP 15) meeting with virtual breakout sessions, keynotes and a poster session. The keynotes and many of the breakout sessions were recorded and have been, or will be published. Collaborative session notes are also available for most breakout sessions. You can find more information on the following pages:
Special congratulations to Katarzyna Biernacka, the winner of theVP15 Poster Session who received the most votes from our virtual attendees, for her poster titled ‘The Missing Data - The Relationship Between Legal Requirements and Open Research Data’.
Webinar: Engaging Researchers with Data Management: The Cookbook
Thursday, 27 February 2020 at 01:00 AM UTC / 12:00 noon AEDT / 11:30 ACDT / 11:00 AEST / 10:30 ACST / 09:00 AWST / 14:00 NZDT (Check the event time in your time zone)
Speakers: James Savage, Connie Clare and Raman Ganguly
Slides and the recording from the Webinar are now available on the Webinar page.
Webinar: A Curriculum For Foundational Research Data Science Skills For Early Career Researchers
Tuesday, 4 February 2020, 16:00 AEDT / 15:30 ACDT / 15:00 AEST / 14:30 ACST / 13:00 AWST / 05:00 UTC (Check the event time in your time zone)
Speakers: Hugh Shanahan, Paula Martinez, Jacqueline Stephens
Slides and the recording from the Webinar are available on the Webinar page.
Webinar: What is RDA and Why Should I Attend the 15th Plenary in Melbourne?
Webinar, 11 December 2019, 1:00pm AEDT / 12:30pm ACDT / 12 noon AEST / 11:30 ACST / 10am AWST
Speakers include Hilary Hanahoe, RDA Secretary General, and RDA members from Australia Jill Benn (University of Western Australia), Frankie Stevens (AARNet) and Jens Klump (CSIRO).
Slides and the recording from the Webinar are available on the Webinar page.
At eResearch Australasia 2019 (which took place at the same time as the 14th RDA Plenary in Helsinki), Keith Russell (ARDC) gave a talk on "Reaping the benefits of the Research Data Alliance in Australia". Leanne Griffiths (CSIRO) and Keith also presented an eResearch ePoster: "The Road to Melbourne - how to get the most out of the Plenary".
Specific topics of interest
Data Management Plans
- Publishers and funders are increasingly looking at data being deposited in certified Trusted Data Repositories. This came, for example, out of the European Commission Expert Group on FAIR data (p.12, 14, 17; Recommendation 9, 20 p.15, 17) and publisher and community signing of the AGU Enabling FAIR data commitment statement. To help organisations have trustworthy data repositories, particularly the CoreTrustSeal certification, ARDC has been bringing together a community of practice. By sharing experiences and documents through the community of practice, effort will be reduced for all involved to gain CoreTrustSeal certification. ARDC has already worked with CSIRO, the National Imaging Facility and Australian Data Archive to achieve CoreTrustSeal certification in 2016-2018.
- For more detail, please visit https://bit.ly/2ROY38F.