Recent Activity: Digital Practices in History and Ethnography IG

28 Oct 2014

Questions for WG Proposal

QUESTIONS TO ORIENT DEVELOPMENT OF WG PROPOSAL ON METADATA STANDARDS FOR THE EMPIRICAL HUMANITIES

 

What (notable) metadata frameworks are currently used in or around the empirical digital humanities, what are their advantages, and and what are their limits? 

Open Archives Initiative; Dublin Core Extended; Library of Congress; Oral History Association; Reciprocal Research Network

continue reading

07 Oct 2014

DGPHE-IG Issue Share Call-In on metadata -- plus homework!

DPHE-IG will host an “Issue Share” on metadata models and practices on Tuesday, October 14, at 1 p.m. EDT (12 p.m. Central, 11 a.m. Mountain, 10 a.m. Pacific; 6 p.m. Europe).  Details for the GoToMeeting call in are listed at the end of this message.

We will be joined by Rebecca Koskela  (and perhaps others) of RDA’s Metadata Interest Group for this discussion.

06 Oct 2014

Links and Resources

A running list of found resources, links, organizations, etc.

 

CLARIN Component Metadata

CLARIN is the Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure, which aims to provide easy and sustainable access for scholars in the humanities and social sciences to digital language data (in written, spoken, video or multimodal form), and advanced tools to discover, explore, exploit, annotate, analyse or combine them, wherever they are located.

continue reading

01 Oct 2014

Conceptualizing Metadata for User-Created Data in History & Ethnography

This is a place to paste in references and commentary on metadata models and practices in the humanities and social sciences (with a focus on history and ethnography).  You can add quotes from articles, questions they raise, partially formed analysis; this is mostly meant to spark and store our own thinking, to be cleaned up later and extracted into more polished documents.  Scroll to the bottom and paste in new commentary, or add to existing commentary where appropriate. 

 

continue reading

29 Sep 2014

DPHE-IG Summary from RDA Plenary 4

Hello everyone -- a reminder that we will host a GoToMeeting tomorrow (Tuesday, 30 September) at 1 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (12 Central, 10 Pacific, 7 p.m. CEST); Mike Fortun and Brandon Costelloe-Kuehn will report back on RDA Plenary 4 last week, and the DPHE-IG breakout sessions in particular.  Hope to see you then!

GoToMeeting:

17 Sep 2014

Digital Humanities Add-on in San Diego??

Digital Humanities Add-on in San Diego??

 

Below, list people who could/should be invited to such a meeting.

Joe Dumit, STS and Anthropology, UC-Davis.  Great anthropologist involved in development of data infrastructure and visualization technologies across disciplines at Davis.  (Kim Fortun) 

continue reading

17 Sep 2014

Potential Issues Shares Sept 2014 - May 2015

Potential Issues Shares Sept 2014 - May 2015

Here, list RDA groups (technial or domain) that we should be in conversation with, indicating relevance. 

 

Provenance IG

Metadata IG: Working on use cases, towards "canonical metadata practices," can inform our in process WG on metadata, Rebecca Koskela (MIG co-chair) a key contributor to our issues share on metadata.

 

continue reading

17 Sep 2014

Potential Project Shares Sept 2014-May 2015

Potential Project Shares Sept 2014-May 2015

Please provide a link to the project if avaiable, contact information for project developers, and your information if are willing to help with outreach. 

---------------------

KORA | a content management and publishing system from MATRIX at MSU

Ask Ethan Waltrall or Dean Rehberger

http://kora.matrix.msu.edu/

noted by Jason Jackson October 4, 2014.

---------------------

continue reading

17 Sep 2014

WG on Metadata Standards: Artifact Types and User Scenarios

Metadata Standards: Artifact Types and User Scenarios

Our Interest Group's first spin-off Working Group will work to identify optimal metadata for researcher-created data in history and ethnography (recorded interviews, field notes, etc).  One goal is to figure out how/if Dublin Core standards need to be updated to deal with linked data.  Dublin Core will be hosting a Training the Trainers for Linked Data Workshop on Oct 11 in Austin, TX during their annual conference.  

continue reading

15 Sep 2014

Updates and Reminder of Planning Call

Digital Practices in History and Ethnography IG members – 

We look forward to talking with some of you tomorrowTuesday, September 16, 1:00 p.m. – about plans for the coming year.  The Go-To-Meeting information is provided again below (we mistakenly scheduled the meeting twice, so please use the call-in information below from the original email).

15 Sep 2014

DPHE-IG Annual Report September 2014

ANNUAL REPORT, Research Data Alliance

Digital Practices in History and Ethnography Interest Group

Co-chairs: Jason Baird Jackson (Indiana University), Mike Fortun (RPI), Kim Fortun (RPI)  

September 15, 2014           

  

continue reading

15 Sep 2014

RDA Tuesdays Sept 2014-May 2015

RDA-DPHE, Tuesdays, 1-2pm  EST

Sept 16: Updates and Plans

RDA Plenary Four (Amsterdam): Sept 21-24

Sept 30: Amsterdam Debriefing

Oct 14: Issue Share -- RDA Metadata IG 

Oct 28: Working call on Metadata initiatives

Nov 18: Project Share - Scalar

Dec 16: Project Share - Kate Hennessy

RDA Plenary Five (San Diego): March 8-11

March 31: RDA P5 Debrief

April 28: Project Share: Amit Chourasia // SeedMe 

continue reading

Pages