Recent Activity: FAIRSharing Registry: connecting data policies, standards & databases WG

27 Sep 2018

Updates: WG rename and pre-print publication

Dear RDA WG member,
two updates:
1. RDA has approved the rename on our WG (from BioSharing to FAIRsharing)
3. The co-chairs are in the process of finalizing and submitting the
FAIRsharing WG recommendations for final community feedback; I will
email the list when this is out.
2. See the pre-print on "FAIRsharing, as a cohesive community approach
to the growth in standards, repositories and policies" at
https://doi.org/10.1101/245183 co-authored by stakeholders from

22 Mar 2018

Proposed solution for outputs of this group/possible further work

Dear members of the RDA BioSharing WG,

TAB has been discussing the question of the name of the recommendations from this group, and avenues for further work.

As Susanna indicated yesterday, I agreed to send an email to the group with some proposals for you to consider.

1. Name of the Recommendations

We understand why this has now changed to FAIRSharing, to reflect the expanded scope of the recommendation (undertaken under the FORCE11 banner), and the name of the registry.

22 Mar 2018

Proposed solution for outputs of this group/possible further work

Dear members of the RDA BioSharing WG,

TAB has been discussing the question of the name of the recommendations from this group, and avenues for further work.

As Susanna indicated yesterday, I agreed to send an email to the group with some proposals for you to consider.

1. Name of the Recommendations

We understand why this has now changed to FAIRSharing, to reflect the expanded scope of the recommendation (undertaken under the FORCE11 banner), and the name of the registry.

21 Mar 2018

BioSharing vs FAIRsharing name for the RDA WG - updates to the members

Dear RDA WG members,
A due clarification, as some of you may be confused from this unusual exchange. The discussion has to do with a known pending issue: aligning the name of this WG (BioSharing) with its recommendations and registry, which based on community request has been renamed (to FAIRsharing) to reflect its scope.
I have now had the chance to discuss it with Paul (by email) and in person with Andrew Treolar, TAB chair and here in cc.

21 Mar 2018

Re: [tab][rda-biosharing-wg] Fwd: [rda-biosharing-wg] RDA P11, the WG recommendation, DOIs and more!

Dear Paul,
I believe you have mistakenly sent this to the whole WG list, not just to TAB. There are several inaccurate representation of the facts below, reason why I keep the WG list in cc for transparency and add the secretariat.
In particular the change of the registry name (not of the WG, which - like you correctly point - out was unfortunately declined by TAB) was the result of community feedback and not a last minute rebrand of the RDA WG; however as this is a joint WG with Force11, a full change of name (to align registry and WG) has instead happen there.

16 Mar 2018

RDA P11, the WG recommendation, DOIs and more!

*Dear joint RDA/Force11 WG members, *
*Please find below a few updates from the WG, including where we'll be
at RDA P11, and details about our final WG recommendation. *
*Best, *
*Pete.*
*PS Apologies for cross-posting*
**---* *
*1. Plans for RDA P11 Berlin*
*
Attending: Susanna
FAIRsharing will be involved in a number of RDA sessions:
*
Wednesday 21st March, Breakout 1 - Joint meeting: IG ELIXIR Bridging
Force, IG BioDiversity Data Integration, WG BioSharing Registry

16 Feb 2018

RDA VSSIG Ontology Metadata Task Group Survey

Dear RDA WGs,
I transfer this to this 3 groups that I know and sometimes participate in, but feel free to transfer this to other metadata/standardization/ontologies related WGs.
Thanks
-------------------
Dear all,
[Apologies for multiple receptions - this announcement has been sent to multiple mailing lists of the ontology/semantic Web/linked data/standardization communities.]
If you are somehow familiar with the use of ontologies, please consider answering this survey.

15 Feb 2018

Feb 2018 update

Dear WG members,
This is just a quick message to alert you to our whereabouts at the
upcoming RDA plenary in Berlin and to give you an update about the RDA
recommendation.
Best,
Pete
--
*RDA P11 Berlin*
- Wednesday 21st March, Breakout 1 - Joint meeting: IG ELIXIR Bridging
Force, IG BioDiversity Data Integration, WG BioSharing Registry[1]
- Wednesday 21st March, Breakout 2 - Joint meeting: IG ELIXIR Bridging
Force, IG Preservation Tools, Techniques and Policies, IG From

26 Jan 2018

FAIR metrics webinar - 31 January 2018 15:00 CET /14:00 UT

*Apologies for cross-posting*
/*RDA Webinar - co-organized by the RDA *//*Data Fitness and RDA/Force11
FAIRsharing (previously BioSharing)*/
*Are we FAIR yet?*
*Registration* is open to all at:
https://www.rd-alliance.org/training-webinars-registration
***
*Info:* https://rd-alliance.org/webinar-are-we-fair-yet
*Presenter*:Michel Dumontier
*Reading material:*

22 Nov 2017

Fwd: 10th International Conference on Ecological Informatics from 24 - 28 September, 2018 in Jena, Germany

This may be of interest to some of you.
Best,
Pete
FAIRsharing.org
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"How can steadily advancing sensor and information technology assist to take advantage of steadily growing and diversifying data in ecology?"

18 Sep 2017

“R programming language to manage metadata, data complying with OGC standards and controlled vocabularies: the case of Tuna Fisheries”

Dear IG's / WG's,

We would like to invite you to an RDA related event that we believe to be relevant to your activities; “R programming language to manage metadata and data by complying with OGC (EML, CF conventions) standards and controlled vocabularies: the case of Tuna Fisheries” .

When: Tuesday 19 September 2017, from 11:30 to 13:00 local time

Where: room: Mansfield 10, RDA Plenary Meeting, Montreal, Canada

14 Sep 2017

Where to find us at RDA P10 Montrèal

Dear BioSharing RDA WG members,
Suitcase packed. Tickets printed. Ready for Montrèal?
Here's where you can find discussions and presentations from the
BioSharing WG at the meeting:
*Sunday 17th September*
- 09:00-18:00 Interest Group on Agricultural Data (IGAD) Pre-Plenary
meeting (Day 1) - talk at 10:15
*Monday 18th September*
- 09:00-18:00 Interest Group on Agricultural Data (IGAD) Pre-Plenary
meeting (Day 2)
- 14:00-18:00 RDA TAB & WG/IG Chairs meeting
*Tuesday 19th September*

11 Jul 2017

Introducing FAIRsharing!!

Dear BioSharing WG members,
There have been a number of changes at BioSharing since our last
communication. In this short email I'll describe and explain what we've
been up to.
First things first, we have rebranded BioSharing.org to FAIRsharing.org!
FAIRsharing serves the same information on standards, the databases that
implement them, and the data policies that endorse them, but does so
across all disciplines, rather than solely the life sciences.
This is in response to user feedback, suggestions from members of the

19 Jun 2017

Potential joint session for P10

Dear Chairs of the BioSharing WG,
Following up on the Call for Sessions for the upcoming RDA P10
(https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-10th-plenary-call-sessions), I would like
to initiate a discussion regarding a potential Joint Session between the
BioSharing WG and the Data Discovery Paradigms IG (DDPIG -
https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/data-discovery-paradigms-ig).

22 May 2017

FW: [rda-biosharing-wg] RDA Webinar Tuesday 23rd May, 14:00 CEST, 12 UTC - BioSharing WG output and registry

Hi Landscape Mappers,
Note the webinar from the BioSharing WG tomorrow discussing their ‘mapping the landscape of data standards’ activity.
FYI,
Lynn
From:
<***@***.***-groups.org> on behalf of Pete McQuilton
<***@***.***>
Date: Monday, May 22, 2017 at 9:32 AM
To: "***@***.***-groups.org" <***@***.***-groups.org>
Subject: [rda-biosharing-wg] RDA Webinar Tuesday 23rd May, 14:00 CEST, 12 UTC - BioSharing WG output and registry
Dear WG members,

22 May 2017

RDA Webinar Tuesday 23rd May, 14:00 CEST, 12 UTC - BioSharing WG output and registry

Dear WG members,
This is a gentle reminder of our Webinar tomorrow, where we'll discuss
the BioSharing WG, and our registry mapping the landscape of data
standards, databases and data policies.
More information on the webinar and how to watch it can be found here:
https://www.rd-alliance.org/biosharing-recommendations-data-repositories...
The
webinar will also be recorded and made available for viewing at a later

04 Apr 2017

BioSharing WG - RDA Recommendation ready for community review

Dear BioSharing WG members,
The recommendation from this joint RDA/Force11 WG is available for
community review/comment here:
*http://dx.doi.org/10.15497/RDA00017*
More information on the RDA recommendation process can be found here
.
The report and recommendations therein are available for comment over
the next 4 weeks. We'd like to thank everyone who has been involved in
this WG to date, in particular those who have adopted BioSharing in

31 Mar 2017

BioSharing WG - RDA 9th Plenary Update April 2017

Dear BioSharing WG members,
The joint RDA/Force11 BioSharing WG is coming to the end of its 18 month
time frame, culminating in the upcoming RDA 9th Plenary in Barcelona.
Here is a list of where the WG will feature (with links to separate
session pages):
*Monday 3rd - Tuesday 4th April*
Interest Group on Agricultural Data (IGAD) Pre-RDA meeting

EUDAT Semantic Working Group Workshop

*Wednesday 5th April*
11:30-13:00 Breakout 1 - What's Happened in the Life Sciences - joint
BioSharing WG & ELIXIR Bridging Force IG

02 Mar 2017

BioSharing WG updates

Dear BioSharing WG members,
The joint RDA/Force11 BioSharing WG is coming to the end of its 18 month
time frame, but will remain activity in the RDA community as part of the
RDA ELIXIR Interest Group (also because BioSharing is a resource of the
ELIXIR ecosystem), and contributing to Force11 activities.
Here three key updates.
*1. Our RDA/Force11 WG - output in progress and newsletter*
We are currently preparing our output package to put it forward for
recommendation by the RDA; we will share it for the community review in

Pages