Recent Activity: PID Information Types WG

09 Jun 2016

Call for Papers - Special Issue "20 Years of Persistent Identifiers"

--- Apologies for cross-postings ---
Dear colleagues,
we would like to invite you to consider publishing some of your work in
an upcoming Special Issue of the Data Science Journal (DSJ)
under the topic "20 Years of Persistent
Identifiers - Where do we go next?". The submission deadline is 31
August 2016.
Persistent identifiers (PID) for scholarly resources have been around
now for more than 20 years. Since the initial launch of the Handle.net
we have seen a proliferation of PID into many use cases. Some PID

03 Mar 2016

Data Fabric and PIT updates

Dear DF and PIT,
I understand that there have been some questions during one of the Data
Fabric session at P7 today on the status and future of the PIT
developments. Since PIT is considered to be part of the overall Data
Fabric approach, I would like to take this opportunity to give a few
essential updates here that shed some light on the more recent
activities since the end of the WG lifetime:
- The PIT API and demonstrator are available as an RDA recommendation
and I am quite happy to see that there are a couple of adoption projects

26 Nov 2015

Fwd: 20 years of persistent identifiers - where do we go next? EGU 2016 - Call for Abstracts

* Apologies for cross-posting *
Dear Colleagues,
Even though EGU 2016 still seems to be a long way off, we would like to
invite you to submit abstracts to the EGU General Assembly 2016 in
Vienna (17-22 April 2016).
In particular, we would like to invite you to submit abstracts to the
following session:
20 years of persistent identifiers - where do we go next? (ESSI2.6/GI1.6)
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2016/session/21739

01 Jul 2015

PID Collections WG case statement available for comments

Dear all,
we want to draw your attention to the case statement of the proposed PID
Collections WG, which is now available for public comment on the RDA
websites:
https://rd-alliance.org/group/pid-collections-wg/case-statement/pid-coll...
The PID Collections WG will focus on solutions for managing object
collections where each object and also the collection itself may bear

25 Jun 2015

Persistent Identifiers: Enabling Services for Data Intensive Research

We are happy to announce the following event

Persistent Identifiers: Enabling Services for Data Intensive Research
a meeting organized by DataCite and EPIC

on Monday, September 21, 2015 from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM (CEST)
at Amphitheatre Hermite, Institute Henri Poincaré, 11 rue Pierre et MarieCurie, Paris, France

11 Jun 2015

Last chance to get a P6 breakout

The deadline for RDA Plenary 6 breakout session (23-25 Sept 2015)
application is fast approaching. You have until 20th June 2015 to submit
your request for a meeting space in Paris -
https://www.rd-alliance.org/plenary-meetings/sixth-plenary/call-session-...
Working & Interest groups as well as representatives from BoFs will be
invited to share their group updates and interact with RDA members on 23

31 Mar 2015

PID Information Types report revised and ready for final submit

Dear all,
the PID Information Types WG output has undergone open RDA community
review. The revised document addressing the points made on the forums
and via email is attached; unless there are further comments, we will
submit this to TAB in the coming days to finalize the outcome process
(also including the demonstrator, documentation etc.).
Best, Tobias
--
Tobias Weigel
Abteilung Datenmanagement
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum GmbH (DKRZ)
Bundesstraße 45 a • 20146 Hamburg • Germany
Phone: +49 40 460094-104

18 Sep 2014

Draft of final report - see you at the P4 in Amsterdam!

Dear all,
the 4th RDA Plenary is moving closer and with it the official end of our
working group. As announced a couple of weeks ago, we have been working
on a final report that summarizes the working group goals, process and
outcomes. Please find the draft of the report attached. We are very much
open to comments, both via this list as well as in person at the plenary.
We have two session slots at the plenary. On Monday afternoon,
15:30-17:00, we will give an introduction and review of the WG work and

08 Aug 2014

PID Info Types demonstrator

Dear all,
we have good news on our overall WG outcomes - they are in a mature
enough stage now - also thanks to Tom Zastrow from RZG - so that we
would like to get your valuable feedback. Some of you have already asked
for more details, and we hope the information given here comes at the
right time.
The client demonstrator GUI is accessible here, courteously hosted by
Tom/RZG - also note the walk-through on the right-hand side for simple
usage examples:

23 Jun 2014

Updates and convergence towards P4

Dear all,
PIT work is making progress behind the scenes, so it is time for some
updates via this list. After the P3 in Dublin, we had several intense
exchanges with CNRI and the Type Registriy WG which ended up in a
consolidation of the TR data model. This finally allowed us to clarify
the way we will actually encode the proposed PID property/type
mechanisms in the registry. Since then, we have moved towards working on
the actual PIT API prototype [1] and we hope to come to a concise state

04 Apr 2014

Type examples from RDA P3

Dear PIT,
please find attached the type examples we collected at the P3 PIT
session in digital form. Thanks again for your input, this was very
creative and helpful work! Perhaps we can repeat this at a later point.
I've done some minor editing while digitizing the papers, but did
intentionally not streamline the different property types that actually
denote the same things. I've added some comments, but this is by far not
a fully-fledged analysis.
There are a couple of rough observations I'd make at this point:

03 Mar 2014

PID Information Types session at P3

The PID Information Types (PIT) Working Group (WG) plans to sketch out an initial framework (models and API specifications) for and demonstrate a proof of concept implementation of capabilities that associate an identifier with one or more related constellations of properties. We call these constellations "types", which for example includes data citation information or management information relevant to data infrastructures. It is not the working group's goal to define all types for all time, but to define a small number to test and refine a framework that

continue reading

28 Feb 2014

Java API draft and timing

Dear PIT,
I've uploaded a current draft for a Java API to the RDA file depot:
https://www.rd-alliance.org/filedepot?fid=408
Comments from Tom are already incorporated as is other feedback from the
Garching workshop. Please have a look. We will continue to work on this
document up until and at the 3rd plenary.
The current plan is to get a stable version of our API description at
the end of P3 so we can go ahead with an implementing a demonstrator

26 Feb 2014

Fwd: RDA Persistent Identifier Interest Group

Apologies if you receive this message multiple times...
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: RDA Persistent Identifier Interest Group
Datum: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:35:42 -0500
Von: Laure Haak <***@***.***>
An: Laura Cox <***@***.***>, Laura Dawson
<***@***.***>, Paolo Bouquet <***@***.***>, Jan Brase
<***@***.***-hannover.de>, David Baker <***@***.***>, John
Kunze <***@***.***>, Joan Starr <***@***.***>, Greg
Janee <***@***.***>, Andreas Rauber <***@***.***>,

30 Jan 2014

Re: PIT VC today - meeting minutes

--- PIT VC Jan 30, 2014 notes ---
Attending: Tobias, Tim, Larry, Tom, Ulrich, Mark P.
1) Higher-level concerns / architecture:
- the discussion in the Google doc (at least as it was beginning of this
year) did not really reflect the ideas in the architecture diagrams.
This has somewhat changed now with more focus on concrete API methods
and implementation. The small detail discussions and things in it about
concerns of higher layers are there to keep the more elaborate upper

30 Jan 2014

PIT VC today

Dear PIT,
we will have a VC in about 2 hours (14:00 UTC).
Agenda:
- higher-level concerns, architecture
- DTR developments and synchronizing, understanding what their types are
and how we can use their registry
- focus in the doc: API method signatures
- focus in the doc: Implementation technology and choices
Meeting URL:
http://fm.ea-tel.eu/fm/0dde49-35942
Best, Tobias
--
Tobias Weigel
Department of Data Management

Pages