The objective of this meeting is to gather practitioners involved in education and training on Data Science and Research Data Management to discuss activities, community initiatives and projects and how they might benefit from coordination and cooperation.
- Contributing to the RDA14 Plenary theme “Data makes the Difference”, the meeting addresses the extensive potential of research data in
- improving data driven decision making, education and training
- transferring experience to domain-focused projects on data related skills development
- tackling grand societal challenges, and
- engaging citizens in the creation of knowledge and betterment of society.based on literate data management
IG-ETHRD Meeting agenda:
1. Welcome and round of introductions - 10 min
1.1. Overview of activities and cooperating projects (by IG chairs) - 5 min
2. Overview and presentation of key initiatives and projects among RDA community
2.1. RDA Adoption grant to adopt the 23 Things - Mijke Jetten - 10 min
2.2. Summary and next steps of the Terms4FAIRskills terminology workshop - Hugh Shanahan - 5 min
2.3. European initiatives and programs on data related competences development for data driven economy - Yuri Demchenko - 5min
2.4. Data Stewardship curriculum and competences in a university curriculum - EUA - 5 min
2.5. Ad hoc pitches from audience - 5 min
3. Review and refine IG goals, establish activities, identify volunteers and resources, including recommendations from presentations and audience - DIscussion 30 min
4. Summary and next steps and assignments - 15 min
This meeting will be of benefit to:
- those directly involved in teaching and training on data skills in research and industry,
- policy developers working on increasing capacity and enabling data skills,
- Projects and initiatives focused on data related skills development
- funders with similar requirements,
- Librarians working with research data,
- representatives from Higher Education Institutes.
Best way to prepare to the meeting is to read materials from past meetings linked to IG wiki
The IG-ETHRD provides a venue for exchanging information about existing developments and initiatives related to education and training on research data handling. The IG scope includes creation of taxonomies of the competences and skills required by different groups of data management specialists/professionals that will provide a basis for recognition of new professions in the data field and for defining required educational elements and training curricula.
This meeting will focus on the commonly recognised demand for data management, data literacy and analytics skills in most research domains and industry. Providing necessary education and training is critical to uncovering the benefits of Open Data, realising the potential of data-driven research, and increasing the efficiency and impact of all modes of research.
In this session we will be building upon past work of the IG to reassess its goals within the current context of the data professional education environment and reinvigorating activity around the work of the IG in ways that will benefit existing and initiatives such as FAIR data, European Open Science Cloud (EOSC), Digital Skills for Europe and related initiatives in the US to address Data Science and research data handling education and training. The goal of the session is to facilitate information exchange and cooperation between efforts around the world that are supporting the education of data professionals and training of those handling research data.
The IG-ETHRD is well-established recognised and endorsed group with wide community (counting more than 200 mailing list members)
The IG is a central venue at RDA to exchange and coordinate numerous training activities at RDA and associated European, US and worldwide projects on data related skills development and curricula development. We have been approached by several relevant projects requesting to participate in / contribute to this session.