Training in Research Data Skills in an African context
Collaborative session notes
(link to be added)
Group chair serving as contact person (responsible for the agreement with the corresponding groups)
Brief introduction describing the activities and scope of the group(s)
Contemporary research – particularly when addressing the most significant, transdisciplinary research challenges – cannot be done effectively without a range of skills relating to data. Providing relevant training in these skills to data scientists, data librarians, data managers, data analysts, research administrators, infrastructure providers, developers, researchers and others is an essential step to implementing the goals of the RDA.
The groups represented at this meeting will discuss the exchange of information about existing developments and initiatives and promotion of training/education to manage research data throughout the data lifecycle; development of taxonomies of skills in this area and the results of direct training events in this area. Data sharing and research in African countries present specific challenges which we will focus on here.
- To give a summary of activities from ETHRD IG and CODATA-RDA schools.
- Summarise findings from recent SciDataCon meeting which are focussed on African Training initiatives.
- Discuss other new initiatives such as SoBigData, FOSTER, IQSS/Dataverse and GO FAIR Training IN .
- Discuss joint actions for the next six months - namely
.) for attendees in their own work
.) for the RDA to foster collaborative progress (this will be reported back to the RDA during this meeting).
1) Joint meeting goals: both IG and WG (5 min)
2) Latest results from CODATA-RDA RDS schools, lessons and plans (10 min)
3) Overview IG ETHRD activities (10 min)
4) African initiative and projects presentations - report from SciDataCon. (40 min)
5) other (new) initiatives projects (such as SoBigData, FOSTER, IQSS/Dataverse, GO FAIR Training IN) (15 min)
6) Joint actions for the next six months (10 min)
- For attendees in their own work
- For RDA to foster collaborative progress
CODATA-RDA schools concept document
IG ETHRD homepage
This meeting aims to be of particular interest to attendees from Africa and prioritise their achievements and challenges.
This meeting will be of benefit to:
- those directly involved in teaching and training data skills,
- policy developers working on increasing capacity and enabling data skills
- funders with similar requirements,
- representatives from Higher Education Institutes.
Type of meeting