Training in Research Data Skills in an African context (Remote Access Instructions)
Meeting room: Okavango 2
Collaborative session notes
Group chair serving as contact person (responsible for the agreement with the corresponding groups)
Brief introduction describing the activities and scope of the group(s)
Contemporary research – particularly when addressing the most significant, transdisciplinary research challenges – cannot be done effectively without a range of skills relating to data. Providing relevant training in these skills to data scientists, data librarians, data managers, data analysts, research administrators, infrastructure providers, developers, researchers and others is an essential step to implementing the goals of the RDA.
The groups represented at this meeting will discuss the exchange of information about existing developments and initiatives and promotion of training/education to manage research data throughout the data lifecycle; development of taxonomies of skills in this area and the results of direct training events in this area. Data sharing and research in African countries present specific challenges which we will focus on here.
- To give a summary of activities from ETHRD IG and CODATA-RDA schools.
- Preview relevant SciDataCon sessions which are focussed on African Training initiatives.
- Discuss other new initiatives such as SoBigData, FOSTER, IQSS/Dataverse and GO FAIR Training IN .
- Discuss joint actions for the next six months - namely
.) for attendees in their own work
.) for the RDA to foster collaborative progress (this will be reported back to the RDA during this meeting).
1) Joint meeting goals: both IG and WG (5 min)
2) Latest results from CODATA-RDA RDS schools, lessons and plans (10 min)
3) African initiative and projects presentations - preview to SciDataCon. (20 min)
4) Other (new) initiatives / projects (Belmont Forum, FOSTER, IQSS/Dataverse, GO FAIR Training IN) (20 min)
5) Community feedback and work extension for initiatives / projects (20 min)
6) Joint actions for the next six months (10 min)
- For attendees in their own work
- For RDA to foster collaborative progress
CODATA-RDA schools concept document
IG ETHRD homepage
This meeting aims to be of particular interest to attendees from Africa and prioritise their achievements and challenges.
This meeting will be of benefit to:
- those directly involved in teaching and training data skills,
- policy developers working on increasing capacity and enabling data skills
- funders with similar requirements,
- representatives from Higher Education Institutes.
Type of meeting
Remote Access Instructions:
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (786) 535-3219
Access Code: 954-242-053
More phone numbers
Australia: +61 2 8355 1050
Austria: +43 7 2081 5427
Belgium: +32 28 93 7018
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353
Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82
Finland: +358 923 17 0568
France: +33 170 950 594
Germany: +49 692 5736 7317
Ireland: +353 15 360 728
Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 42
Netherlands: +31 207 941 377
New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302
Norway: +47 21 93 37 51
Spain: +34 932 75 2004
Sweden: +46 853 527 836
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78
United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5028
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: