Date & time: Tuesday 1st March - 11:30 - 13:00 - Working Meeting Session 1
Biodiversity data repositories: Certification and practical policies
The Biodiversity Data Integration IG focuses on increasing the effectiveness of biodiversity e-Infrastructures by promoting the adoption of common tools and services, establishing data interoperability within the biodiversity domain, and enabling the convergence on shared terminology and routines for assembling and integrating biodiversity data. The IG is acting as a community forum and liaison between biodiversity research and e-infrastructures stakeholders and the technical groups within RDA.
The RDA/WDS Certification of Digital Repositories IG focuses on long-term preservation of data in sustainable digital repositories. Data that are created and used by science and scholarship need to be managed, curated and archived, making sure that the substantial investments in preparing and presenting the content and tools will not be lost. Certification is fundamental in guaranteeing the trustworthiness of digital repositories and thus in sustaining the opportunities for long-term data sharing.
The Practical Policy WG focuses on bringing together practitioners in policy making and policy implementation; Identifying typical application scenarios for policies such as replication, preservation etc.; Collecting and to registering practical policies and; Enabling sharing, revising, adapting, and re-using of computer actionable policies.
Biodiversity research is a multi-disciplinary domain, where effective and innovative research hinges upon the capacity of researchers to meaningfully combine data across disciplines (e.g. molecular, biochemical, ecological, environmental, taxonomic or trait data). Over the years different repositories have been developed that hold and expose data types related to aspects of biodiversity information. Users need to navigate through different data repositories and therein workflows.
The key objectives of the meeting are to:
- Assess the potential value of certification and practical policy RDA outputs to Biodiversity data repositories;
- Establish a communication channel between the respective technical groups and domain stakeholders;
- Identify adopters and plan pilot implementations.
Moderator: Vince Smith (BDI IG co-chair)
1. Intro [rationale and goals of session] (5 min)
2. Practical Policies WG outputs (10 min)
3. Certification IG/WG outputs (10 min)
4. Biodiversity data repositories landscape (10 min)
5. Structured discussion [list of questions relating to outputs] (45 min)
6. Conclusions and action items (10 min)
RDA participants with interest in:
- Data repository certification;
- Computer actionable policies and data quality;
- Biodiversity and other domain data repositories.