- Collaborative Notes Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OkaYq4zIHhOdJjVDC3EjUeqvLlDzZK26XIJpr_...
If you are a member of RDA, but not yet a member of the Data Discovery Paradigms IG, you can go to the group page and click “Join Group” on the right hand side. If you are not an RDA member, you can join RDA here: https://rd-alliance.org/user/register (it’s free!)
This interest group has been focusing on data discovery, mostly from the perspectives of data repository and data discovery service operators. This session will take a closer look at the other side of the coin - the perspective from data searchers (especially researchers) - what and how they search for. With better understanding of data searchers and their search behaviours, we can provide guidance for improving data discovery services and providing data searchers better data search experience.
The proposed session has the following objectives:
To update the group progress
To initiate collaborative study on user intent and interaction with data discovery systems
1. Introduction of the group (5 mins)
2. Update on the DDPIG progress
- Update on granularity BoF (10mins)
- Update on Metadata enrichment TF (10 mins)
3. User intent and interaction with data discovery systems (new TF) (~60 min)
- Introduction: why we need to study user intent and interaction with data discovery systems (15 mins)
- Discussion (30 mins)
- What resources would be required for such a study
- Whom (e.g. research groups, data repositories) we should partner
- Connections with other RDA WGs/IGs
4. Wrap-up, next actions for the group (5 mins)
The target audience for this IG session is anyone with an interest in, and hopefully experience with, designing search systems or analysing user behavior when using search systems. Those with general interest in data discovery are also welcome.
The objective of this IG is to provide a forum where representatives from across the spectrum of stakeholders and roles pertaining to data search can work together to identify, study and make recommendations concerning issues related to improving data discovery. The goal is to produce concrete deliverables that will be recognized and valued by the research community.
This group was officially endorsed at RDA P9. The group has worked on the following task forces, namely:
Best practices for making data findable (completed)
Relevancy ranking (completed)
Use cases, prototyping tools and test collections (completed)
Metadata enrichment (ongoing)
Data/Metadata granularity (ongoing, a BoF has been submitted)
The DDPIG has been established and endorsed as an IG during P9. It started four task forces around target data discovery topics soon after P9. All task forces actively explored their topics, and reported progress and preliminary outputs at consequent plenaries. At P11, the first three task forces were officially closed, and a discussion on new Task Forces took place, focusing during P12 primarily on Schema.org and Granularity. After P13, a case statement for a Research Schemas WG was submitted, the case statement was endorsed in Sept. 2019, about a month before P14.