A Digital Frontier of Global Science: Information Infrastructures Building Upon the Meaning of Data
Collaborative session notes
(link to be added)
Short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group
OD2I IG explores data, information, and knowledge in research infrastructures. Key issues are the distinction between data and information, in particular observations and derivative information; the processes that evolve observational data into information, i.e. how data evolve to (are “cooked” to become) information along value chains involving data interpretation processes; as well as processes for acquiring and curating the derivative information back into research infrastructures as new assets that can be further exploited (published, processed, used, etc.). Our aim is to provide a platform for discussing and advancing this subject matter. Following the kick-off at P12 (Berlin), this meeting aims at further outreach within the RDA community.
Additional links to informative material related to the group
* OD2I IG Charter
* Floridi (2011): The Philosophy of Information. Oxford University Press.
* Floridi (2010): Information—A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press.
* Zins (2007): Conceptual Approaches for Defining Data, Information, and Knowledge. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20508
* Aamodt and Nygård (1995): Different roles and mutual dependencies of data, information, and knowledge—An AI perspective on their integration. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-023X(95)00017-M
Community outreach and networking to catalyze new member participation.
The draft agenda consists of the following parts and may be subject to change (an update will be provided ahead of the plenary):
* Brief introduction to OD2I IG
* Update on activities since P11
* The OD2I reference conceptualization
* Update on and call for new use cases: Where should we focus and what is first
* Conceptualizing data to information in a cloud infrastructure: Looking at information production in the cloud age
* Discuss a work plan until P13
* Next steps and conclusions
Please specify who is your target audience and how they should prepare for the meeting The Communities of Practice working on/with observational data.
Group chair serving as contact person
Markus Stocker (co-chairs: Ari Asmi, Stefano Nativi, Jay Pearlman)
Type of meeting