From Observational Data to Information Interest Group (OD2I IG) Kick-Off Meeting
A short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group:
Following the Denver (P8) and Barcelona (P9) BoF meetings, this meeting is to kick-off the newly formed Interest Group “From Observational Data to Information” (OD2I IG). Broadly speaking, this IG aims to advance shared understanding of the relationship between data and information, primarily in the context of environmental research infrastructures for observational data and information about observed environments. Key issues are the distinction between data and information, in particular observations and derived information about environmental phenomena not observed directly, as well as the processes that evolve observational data into information. Our aim is to provide a platform for discussing and advancing this subject matter.
Additional links to informative material related to the group i.e. group page, Case statement, working documents etc:
* Floridi (2011): The Philosophy of Information. Oxford University Press.
* Floridi (2010): Information—A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press.
* Zins (2007): Conceptual Approaches for Defining Data, Information, and Knowledge. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20508
* Aamodt and Nygård (1995): Different roles and mutual dependencies of data, information, and knowledge—An AI perspective on their integration. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-023X(95)00017-M
The meeting will kick-off the newly formed Interest Group and set the agenda.
The meeting will provide an update of activities since P9 and discuss the next steps for the IG. A proposal is to collect comparable use cases that describe the evolution of observational data into derived semantic information in different contexts. We will present and discuss other proposals for the next steps, collected ahead of the meeting. We will also present and discuss a first draft for a IG Charter.
- Welcome and short introduction [10 min, M. Stocker]
- Update on activities since P9 [10 min, M. Stocker]
- Update on Charter [10 min, M. Stocker]
- Introduction to biodiversity indicators use case [15 min, J. Konijn]
- Update on aerosol use case and introduction to new use cases [15 min, M. Stocker]
- Moderated discussion [30 min, All]
The Communities of Practice working on/with Earth Observation data.
Group chair serving as contact person: Markus Stocker (co-chairs: Ari Asmi, Stefano Nativi, Jay Pearlman)
Type of meeting: Working meeting
Session Room: Mansfield 2
Session Time: Wednesday 20 September, Breakout 5, 13:30 - 15:00
Collaborative session notes:
Session slides and materials:
Remote Access Instructions (Gotomeeting):
Access Code: 575-504-053
Australia: +61 2 9087 3604
Austria: +43 1 2530 22520
Belgium: +32 28 93 7018
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9410
Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82
Finland: +358 923 17 0568
France: +33 170 950 594
Germany: +49 692 5736 7317
Ireland: +353 15 360 728
Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 42
Netherlands: +31 207 941 377
New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302
Norway: +47 21 93 37 51
Spain: +34 932 75 2004
Sweden: +46 853 527 827
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78
United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088
United States: +1 (312) 757-3136