Interest Group Session on Federated Identity Management for Research (FIM4R)
A short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group:
FIM4R is a forum for communities to share challenges and ideas and to shape the future of Federated Identity Management for different research communities. The FIM4R community was established prior to the birth of the Research Data Alliance.
Members from FIM4R agreed with the RDA ideal of a bottom-up approach (where data practitioners and communities are the major diving forces) and proposed the RDA FIM Interest Group. During the plenary session in Montreal, we discussed the coordination between the RDA FIM-IG and the FIM4R forum.
The output of this discussion may be resumed as follows:
- The first role of the RDA FIM IG is to centralize discussions surrounding distributed Authentication and Authorization Infrastructures (AAIs) for Research Communities, identify shared challenges and disseminate best practices developed by the wider community.
- Starting from all the gathered inputs, the FIM4R forum will produce a whitepaper for streamlining and enumerating the requirements. The RDA FIM IG will update the requirements identified for including the latest inputs from the communities involved in RDA.
- The whitepaper will be discussed in RDA for approval. The FIM-IG will use this document as a basis for discussing recommendations and best practices for the uptake of a trans-research communities FIM strategy.
- The FIM-IG will also be a discussion/exchange hub on test-bed solutions and technical solutions.
The aim of the FIM IG is to become a central point within the RDA for the discussion and consensus finding around the Authentication and Authorization issues. We would like to discuss with other RDA Working Groups and/or Interest Groups dealing with the same issues. Indeed, we are planning joint session for the next plenary in Berlin.
Additional links to informative material related to the group i.e. group page, Case statement, working documents etc:
More details on FIM4R can be found on https://fim4r.org
The original FIM4R whitepaper that serves as the Use Case description for this interest group is available at https://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1442597
- Raise awareness of the upcoming FIM4Rv2 whitepaper and welcome participation
- Present on the latest research community perspectives, as gathered at the FIM4R collocated workshop (https://indico.cern.ch/event/647693/)
- Gain feedback on content for FIM4Rv2 whitepaper
- Research Community Perspectives, a summary of the FIM4R Workshop (Peter Gietz, DARIAH & Hannah Short, CERN) 20 minutes
- The AARC Project & Policy Progress (David Groep, Nikhef) 30 minutes
- RDA participation in the FIM4Rv2 whitepaper (Carlo Zwölf, Paris Observatory) 20 minutes
- Discussion and Next Steps 20 minutes
For this open session we invite data practitioners, policy makers and community adopters who are familiar with Federated Identity Management to attend.
Group chair serving as contact person: Hannah Short
Type of meeting: Working meeting
Session Room: Mansfield 3
Session Time: Wednesday 20 September, Breakout 5, 13:30 - 15:00
Collaborative session notes:
Session slides and materials:
Remote Access Instructions (Gotomeeting):
Access Code: 634-210-829
More phone numbers
Australia: +61 2 9087 3604
Austria: +43 1 2530 22520
Belgium: +32 28 93 7018
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9410
Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82
Finland: +358 923 17 0568
France: +33 170 950 594
Germany: +49 692 5736 7317
Ireland: +353 15 360 728
Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 42
Netherlands: +31 207 941 377
New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302
Norway: +47 21 93 37 51
Spain: +34 932 75 2004
Sweden: +46 853 527 836
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78
United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088
United States: +1 (224) 501-3216