Supporting Early Career Researchers and Creating a Space for Social Engagement
Collaborative session notes
(Link to be added)
Short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group
The purpose of the Early Career and Engagement Interest Group (ECEIG) is to provide a focal point for Early and Mid-Career Researchers and Professionals, including those involved in various RDA-related fellowships and Early Career programs.
RDA members recognize that there is a need to create a space in RDA for those who are at the beginning stages of their careers. Specifically, RDA members recognized that Early Career Researchers and Professionals usually need additional support for: (a) networking amongst themselves to learn about other Early Career scientists and their research, i.e., establishing a “network of peers”, and (b) receiving mentorship from senior RDA members who are interested in mentoring Early Career Researchers and Professionals.
Designating time on each RDA plenary schedule for this IG is important to recognize and develop the means which will effectively support this “next generation of RDA”, who is equipped with unique talents and strengths, impacting the future of RDA in their own way. At a BoF conducted during RDA P8 in Denver, CO a group of Early Career fellows agreed to explore the idea of creating an IG centering on those who are in the early stages of their careers and helping them effectively engage with RDA. This effort was continued and crystallized at a dedicated networking session during RDA P9 in Barcelona, Spain, leading to the first kick-off meeting of the official ECEIG in RDA P10 in Montreal. Hearing the different needs and expectations of members of the ECEIG community, P11 in Berlin was a stepping stone and the place where the dedicated RDA Mentoring Programme was launched.
Group web page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/early-career-and-engagement-ig
Our case statement can be found here: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/early-career-and-engagement/case-state...
The objectives of the meeting are to:
- Attract early-career participants of RDA P12 in order to get direct feedback
- Enhance the group of mentors
- Discuss potential training and professional development activities
- Explore effective structures of monthly Ask-Me-Anything (AMA) meetings, which have been established in order to complement and promote the Mentoring Programme, and evaluate the first six months of their operation.
- Plan for social interaction amongst current and prospective ECEIG members.
1. Discuss progress on live document of knowledge and advice for ECEIG members.
2. Discuss Mentoring Programme.
3. Schedule a social event for current and prospective ECEIG members in Botswana.
This meeting is aimed at members of the ECEIG and those who are interested in joining the group and RDA in general. The session will be of particular interest to Researchers and Professionals in the Early and Mid-Career stages as well as to more experienced RDA members who desire to mentor and support Early and Mid-Career Researchers and Professionals.
Please sign up to join the IG before, during or after the meeting to stay informed of efforts and advancements of this group!
Group chair serving as contact person
Type of meeting