Data Discovery Paradigms IG: Reports from Task Forces and Way Ahead
Short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group:
The objectives of this IG are to provide a forum where representatives from across the spectrum of stakeholders and roles pertaining to data search can discuss issues related to improving data discovery. The goal is to identify concrete deliverables such as a registry of data search engines, common test datasets, usage metrics, and a collection of data search use cases and competency questions.
After the last meeting, we have identified 5 key areas to focus on:
- Guidelines for making data findable
- Relevancy ranking
- Use cases, prototyping tools and test collections
- Metadata enrichment
- Cataloging common API's
Task forces have been started to explore each of these topics, who will report back at this meeting.
Additional links to informative material related to the group i.e. group page, Case statement, working documents etc
Group web page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/new-paradigms-data-discovery-ig
Our case statement can be found here: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/new-paradigms-data-discovery-ig/case-s...
The objectives of the meeting are:
- To inform all members and interested parties of progress made re. Data Discovery
- To discuss progress, next steps and potential overlap in activities within the IG and with other IG/WGs
1. Short introduction of the group’s goals and progress (AdW, SJSK, 10 minutes)
2. Overview of each of the 3 active Task Forces (Task Force Leads, 10 mins each, 30 mins total)
3. Discuss whether we have volunteers for the 2 inactive tasks: (Common API's, Metadata Enrichment) (10 minutes)
4. Discussion to identify gaps, overlaps and coordination between Task Forces (10 minutes)
5. Discussion to identify gaps, overlaps and coordination with other RDA WG/IGs (20 minutes)
6. Summary of the results and next steps: (10 minutes)
- Keep same Task Forces?
- Any reason for turning Task Forces into Working Groups?
- Any plans for collaborating with other Working/Interest Groups?
Members of the DDPIG and those who are interested in joining.
In particular, Data Repository Managers and Developers; funders, librarians, publishers and researchers interested in improving data discoverability; infrastructure and Big Data developers and researchers interested in discussing and solving issues concerning Findability of data.
* Please sign up to join the IG before, during or after the meeting to stay informed of efforts of this group *
Group chair serving as contact person: Anita de Waard
Type of meeting: working meeting
Group maturity: 0-6 months
Remote access information:
Gotomeeting Link: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/462907397
Access Code: 462-907-397
Australia: +61 2 8355 1038
Austria: +43 1 2060 92964
Belgium: +32 27 00 6375
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9373
Denmark: +45 32 72 03 69
Finland: +358 972 52 2971
France: +33 157 329 481
Germany: +49 69 5880 7802 72
Ireland: +353 15 360 756
Italy: +39 0 291 29 46 27
Netherlands: +31 207 941 375
New Zealand: +64 9 913 2226
Norway: +47 21 93 37 37
Spain: +34 932 75 1230
Sweden: +46 775 757 471
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 60
United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5011
United States: +1 (646) 749-3117