Data Discovery Paradigms IG: Reports from Task Forces and Way Ahead (Remote Access Instructions)
Meeting Location: Commonwealth A2
Collaborative session notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QmPFGoBiCnxLRx2MF7W8wqsMpyA2P2kWgVa_qC5xGYw/edit
Short introduction describing the scope of the group and if any previous activities
The objective of this IG is to provide a forum where representatives from across the spectrum of stakeholders and roles pertaining to data search can work together to identify, study and make recommendations concerning issues related to improving data discovery. The goal is to produce concrete deliverables that will be recognized and valued by the research community. This IG identified 4 topics that were the focus of the group’s initial efforts:
* Best practices for making data findable
* Relevancy ranking
* Use cases, prototyping tools and test collections
* Metadata enrichment
Task forces around the first 3 topics started after RDA P8, while the last task force, Metadata Enrichment, began work after RDA P9. All task forces actively explored their topics, and reported progress and preliminary outputs at RDA P10. At P11, the first three task forces were officially closed, and a discussion on new Task Forces took place, focusing during P12 primarily on Schema.org and Granularity. At RDA P13, the progress of the Metadata Task Force will be shown and further discussed. Moreover, two potential new Task Forces, i.e. Schema.org and Granularity, will be at the forefront of the discussion, aimed at identifying immediate short-term goals and practical tasks. To this end, we will be having a BoF session, explicitly for drafting a Case Statement for the new research schemas WG. Please join us (in person, or remotely) if you are interested in any of these topics. If you are interested in helping to lead any of these task forces, or have other ideas for TFs to start, please contact the IG Chairs.
Additional links to informative material related to the group Group web page:
- https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/data-discovery-paradigms-ig, where links to pages for each of the Task Forces (including the documents produced in each case) can be found.
- Our case statement can be found here: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/new-paradigms-data-discovery-ig/case-s...
The objectives of the meeting are:
* To inform all members and interested parties of progress made regarding Data Discovery
* To present the supporting outputs of the current task forces
* Inform and discuss progress for the Metadata Enrichment TF
* Inform and discuss progress for the Data Granularity TF
* Inform and discuss progress on the Research Schemas TF
* To identify and start new Task Forces, and attract volunteers to lead these efforts
1. Short introduction of the group’s goals and progress (always important to inform new RDA members/session attendees)
2. Report on progress/discuss current activities from the Metadata Enrichment TF
3. Discussion on initiating a potential Granularity Task Force
4. Discussion on the Research Schemas Task Force, focusing on specific tasks and actions for the next steps, including alignment with FAIR principles
5. Summary of results and next steps - set timeline for starting the new Schema.org Working Group - connection with existing WG/IG through collaborative Task Forces
Members of the DDPIG and those who are interested in joining. In particular, Data Repository Managers and Developers; funders, librarians, publishers and researchers interested in improving data discoverability; infrastructure and Big Data developers and researchers interested in discussing and solving issues concerning Findability of data.
Please sign up to join the IG before, during or after the meeting to stay informed of efforts of this group
Group chair serving as contact person:
Type of meeting: