Data Discovery Paradigms IG: Reports from Task Forces and Way Ahead
Collaborative session notes
(link to be added)
Short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group
The objective of this IG is to provide a forum where representatives from across the spectrum of stakeholders and roles pertaining to data search can work together to identify, study and make recommendations concerning issues related to improving data discovery. The goal is to produce concrete deliverables that will be recognized and valued by the research community.
This IG identified 4 topics that were the focus of the group’s initial efforts:
* Best practices for making data findable
* Relevancy ranking
* Use cases, prototyping tools and test collections
* Metadata enrichment
Task forces formed around the first 3 topics started after RDA P8, while the last task force, Metadata Enrichment, began work after RDA P9. All task forces actively explored their topics and reported progress as well as preliminary outputs at RDA P10. At P11, three task forces were officially closed, and a discussion on new Task Forces took place, focusing primarily on Schema.org and Granularity.
At RDA P12, the progress on the Metadata Task Force will be shown and further discussed. Moreover, the two potential new Task Forces, i.e. Schema.org and Granularity, will be at the forefront of the discussion, aiming to identifying the immediate short-term goals and practical tasks.
Please join us (in person, or remotely) if you are interested in any of these topics.
If you are interested in helping to lead any of these task forces, or have other ideas for TFs to start, please contact the IG Chairs.
Group web page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/data-discovery-paradigms-ig, where links to pages for each of the Task Forces (including the documents produced in each case) can be found.
Our case statement can be found here: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/new-paradigms-data-discovery-ig/case-s...
* To inform all members and interested parties of progress made regarding Data Discovery
* To present the supporting outputs of the current task forces
* Inform and discuss progress for the Metadata TF
* Inform and discuss progress on the Schema.org TF
* To identify and start new Task Forces, and attract volunteers to lead these efforts
1. Short introduction of the group’s goals and progress (always important to inform new RDA members/session attendees)
2. Report on progress/discuss current activities from the metadata enrichment TF
3. Discussion on the Schema.org Task Force, focusing on specific tasks and actions for the next steps.
5. Discussion on initiating a potential Granularity Task Force
6. Summary of results and next steps
- set timeline for starting new Task Forces
- connection with existing WG/IG through collaborative Task Forces
Members of the DDPIG and those who are interested in joining.
In particular, Data Repository Managers and Developers; funders, librarians, publishers and researchers interested in improving data discoverability; infrastructure and Big Data developers and researchers interested in discussing and solving issues concerning Findability of data.
Please sign up to join the IG before, during or after the meeting to stay informed of efforts of this group
Group chair serving as contact person
Type of meeting