Data Discovery Paradigms IG: Reports from Task Forces and Way Ahead (Remote Access Instructions)
Meeting room: Moremi 2 & 3
Collaborative session notes
Short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group
The objective of this IG is to provide a forum where representatives from across the spectrum of stakeholders and roles pertaining to data search can work together to identify, study and make recommendations concerning issues related to improving data discovery. The goal is to produce concrete deliverables that will be recognized and valued by the research community.
This IG identified 4 topics that were the focus of the group’s initial efforts:
* Best practices for making data findable
* Relevancy ranking
* Use cases, prototyping tools and test collections
* Metadata enrichment
Task forces formed around the first 3 topics started after RDA P8, while the last task force, Metadata Enrichment, began work after RDA P9. All task forces actively explored their topics and reported progress as well as preliminary outputs at RDA P10. At P11, three task forces were officially closed, and a discussion on new Task Forces took place, focusing primarily on Schema.org and Granularity.
At RDA P12, the progress on the Metadata Task Force will be shown and further discussed. Moreover, the two potential new Task Forces, i.e. Schema.org and Granularity, will be at the forefront of the discussion, aiming to identifying the immediate short-term goals and practical tasks.
Please join us (in person, or remotely) if you are interested in any of these topics.
If you are interested in helping to lead any of these task forces, or have other ideas for TFs to start, please contact the IG Chairs.
Group web page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/data-discovery-paradigms-ig, where links to pages for each of the Task Forces (including the documents produced in each case) can be found.
Our case statement can be found here: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/new-paradigms-data-discovery-ig/case-s...
* To inform all members and interested parties of progress made regarding Data Discovery
* To present the supporting outputs of the current task forces
* Inform and discuss progress for the Metadata TF
* Inform and discuss progress on the data granularity TF
* Inform and discuss progress on the Schema.org TF
* To identify and start new Task Forces, and attract volunteers to lead these efforts
1. Short introduction of the group’s goals and progress (always important to inform new RDA members/session attendees)
2. Report on progress/discussion on initiating a potential Granularity Task Force
3. Report on progress/discuss current activities from the metadata enrichment TF.
4.. Discussion on the Schema.org Task Force, focusing on specific tasks and actions for the next steps.
5. Summary of results and next steps
- set timeline for starting new Task Forces
- connection with existing WG/IG through collaborative Task Forces
Members of the DDPIG and those who are interested in joining.
In particular, Data Repository Managers and Developers; funders, librarians, publishers and researchers interested in improving data discoverability; infrastructure and Big Data developers and researchers interested in discussing and solving issues concerning Findability of data.
Please sign up to join the IG before, during or after the meeting to stay informed of efforts of this group
Group chair serving as contact person
Type of meeting
Important Note: To progress start-up of a working group "Using schema.org for research dataset discovery", there will be a workshop on Thursday 8th from 8:30 to 12:30, at the room "VIP Holding Room". Here is a draft agenda for the workshop.
Remote Access Instructions:
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (571) 317-3129
Access Code: 607-378-157
More phone numbers
Australia: +61 2 8355 1050
Austria: +43 7 2081 5427
Belgium: +32 28 93 7018
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9391
Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82
Finland: +358 972 52 2974
France: +33 170 950 594
Germany: +49 692 5736 7317
Ireland: +353 15 360 728
Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01
Netherlands: +31 707 709 523
New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302
Norway: +47 21 93 37 51
Spain: +34 932 75 2004
Sweden: +46 853 527 827
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78
United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: