Big Data Stakeholders Meeting
Short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group:
The Big Data IG [1,2] is convening and growing a Data Science community discussing Big Data (Analytics) issues and approaches. The overall objectives of the group are:
- to BDA clarify some foundational terminologies in the context of data analytics.
- to develop recommendation documents with a systematic classification of feasible combinations of analysis algorithms, analytical tools, data and resource characteristics and scientific queries. These recommendation documents can serve as a best practice guide for scientific groups/communities interested in investing in Big Data technologies (this work may be delegated to subgroups).
- to work towards a consensus amongst its members to achieve this desired goal
- to collaborate with external bodies - such as NIST, OGC, ISO, and others - for exchange; to this end, findings will be made available for download publicly and freely
- to support formation of working groups on dedicated subtopics; currently, one such spinoff group is operational, the Array Database Assessment Working Group.
Additional links to informative material related to the group i.e. group page, Case statement, working documents etc
 group page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/big-data-analytics-ig.html
 case statement: https://rd-alliance.org/groups/big-data-analytics-ig/wiki/rda-big-data-a...
 P8 minutes: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/big-data-ig/wiki/plenary-8-big-data-ig...
At P8/Denver, a stakeholder survey was conducted; its results are documented on the meeting summary page .
Based on this survey, discussion (moderation: Peter Baumann) will be streamlined to the topics found of core interest to members. Talks be members, beyond the ones already scheduled, will be accepted until the meeting, time slots permitting.
- welcome & tour de table (Peter Baumann)
- Big Data in Earth Science
- Big Data in Space Science
- Big Data in Life Science
- Big Data in Social Sciences
- Big Data in Materials Science and Engineering
- Wrap-up (Peter Baumann)
The target audience, as stated in the Charter, consists of stakeholders in need of tools, techniques, and standards for handling Big Data in their realm:
- domain scientists utilizing Big Data
- data and service providers offering Big Data
- computer scientists researching on Big Data tools
In preparation participants should consider the following questions:
- what Big Data issue is hurting me most?
- on what topics do I want to contribute in writing?
- what outcome do I expect?
- what liaisons with other RDA groups are meaningful for the Big Data IG?
Group chairs serving as contacts: Peter Baumann
Type of meeting:Working meeting
Group maturity: 12-18 months
Remote access: : https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/619800021
You can also dial in using your phone.
Access Code: 619-800-021
Australia: +61 2 8355 1038
Austria: +43 1 2060 92964
Belgium: +32 27 00 6375
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9373
Denmark: +45 43 31 47 79
Finland: +358 972 52 2971
France: +33 170 950 590
Germany: +49 69 5880 7802 72
Ireland: +353 15 360 756
Italy: +39 0 291 29 46 27
Netherlands: +31 707 709 520
New Zealand: +64 9 913 2226
Norway: +47 24 05 54 97
Spain: +34 932 75 1230
Sweden: +46 853 527 818
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 60
United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5011
United States: +1 (646) 749-3117