The Plenary 7 of the Research Data Alliance is scheduled to be held at Tokyo between March 1-3 March 2016. The Interest group on Agriculture Data (IGAD) of the RDA has convened meetings at all the RDA plenaries so far. The meeting at RDA P5 at San Diego resulted in identification of themes for discussions with an aim to facilitate interactions addressing particular areas of focus. Accordingly, in RDA P6 a focused pre-meeting was held in which the topics such as data access, semantics of agriculture data and soil research data management were discussed and deliberated upon. The results were presented at the plenary. Important initiatives and organizations such as INRA, GODAN, CIARD, CGAIR, UNFAO, CIMMYT among others will be represented.
IGAD has grown in community strength and interactions and it is the aim to take this forward in focused manner to the plenary 7 of the RDA. At plenary 6 meeting of IGAD members enlisted the following dimensions for good agricultural data management:
• Awareness has to be raised for the necessity to open data repositories by researchers and private actors
• Awareness has to be raised to implement good data management policies within institutions to support openness and standards that should be applied to data repositories.
• Awareness has to be raised for the existence of tools and already existing standards that just have to be used in order to facilitate good data management
Furthermore, the linking between existing communities and initiatives was underlined in order to benefit from synergies and advocate for good data management.
Of particular significance is the shared interest between the objectives of IGAD-RDA and GODAN initiative which is described as 'facilitation of sharing of open data to make information about agriculture and nutrition available, accessible and usable'. At the RDA plenary 7 it is proposed to take the IGAD-GODAN objectives forward by convening a meeting of stakeholders to discuss and deliberate on important issues and solutions such as agriculture data sharing, curation, interoperability, policy frameworks among other topics.
Goals of this Joint Session
• To streamline the collaboration between Research Data Alliance (RDA) and the Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN) initiative
• To solicit and promote interactions and projects between both initiatives particularly in the areas of advocating of openness on research data in agriculture and nutrition and building infrastructures for open data
• To explore how to achieve better data interoperability in agriculture and nutrition