Skip to main content

Notice

We are in the process of rolling out a soft launch of the RDA website, which includes a new member platform. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Visitors may encounter functionality issues with group pages, navigation, missing content, broken links, etc. As you explore the new site, please provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Thank you for your understanding and support as we work through all issues as quickly as possible. Stay updated about upcoming features and functionalities: https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/

Best of IDW23

• Creator
    Discussion

Live Kvale
    Participant

We were a group of people from RDA-Norway attending International data week in Salzburg in October. Now hours of recordings are openly available on youtube (RDA-plenary sessions) and vimeo (Scidatacon sessions).
    To make it a bit easier to know where to start we have some favourites we would like to recommend:
    Lindsay: I enjoyed the ‘Indigenous Data Sovereignty, FAIR and CARE principles in practice, case studies of implementation. Here, examples of CARE implementation in Australia, New Zealand, and across the Nordics were presented and discussed. I am fairly new to the CARE principles, so it was interesting to see how to carefully consider how data situated within communities can be used for collective benefit and how those communities can be more involved in the data life cycle. 
    Trude: I really liked the session on the generation of DMPs, either through tools such as ChatGPT, or through systems like fair-wizard.com/maDMP, where the DMPs are machine readable first, and then you can generate a hu generation of DMPsman readable version from the added metadata. I think this is the next step for us, connecting DMPs with our data catalogue in data.sintef.no, to get rid of the Word templates once and for all. We will get more metadata in the data catalogue, be able to reuse metadata through different systems and generate DMPs when needed. All of our projects that collect research data are required to have a DMP (and we have a lot of projects every year). 
    Anne: “Implementing FAIR workflows: a Proof of Concept Study in the Field of Consciousness” is the session I liked the most, in particular the 2 first talks: 1)  Driving Adoption of FAIR workflows – Provide Guidance Where it Counts and 2) Making research FAIR from the start – a researcher’s perspective. In total, there were 6 presentations (also one on machine actionable DMP). What I like is the perspective given to FAIR e.g. not so much on the must have but useful to have. Another session I like and that is very related to my work is “Data Cubes as a tool to organise data in data spaces”  with 3 interesting presentations from 3 projects that aimed at organizing data so they can easily be re-used by the research communities. Most of the project presented were still at an early stage but clearly identified their needs. The most interesting part was that creating FAIR data is driven by the community needs. Also I clearly understood that the I-ADOPT framework is extremely useful to support communities in the creation of FAIR data. Finally, the session “WorldFAIR: the Cross Domain Interoperability Framework (CDIF) presented CDIF and was followed by very interesting discussions.
    Trond: Plenary Session: “Inclusivity in Open Science while advancing research assessment and career pathway impact”, on, among other things, how biases are deeply embedded in research assessment (through the ‘Matthew’ and ‘Halo’ effect), and how data can be used as a technical and political tool for inclusion, how to make the invisible, visible. Also: “WorldFAIR: Emerging Cross-Domain Perspectives – Envisioning Solutions – the Cross Domain Interoperability Framework (CDIF)”,, on how to make data work across domains and across disciplines. Interesting and important work on how to create global standards that can actually support interdisciplinary research. 
    Helene: I particularly enjoyed the SciDataCon session “Closing the loop of open data publishing in Digital Humanities”, which focused on open data publishing in light of the current scholarly publishing ecosystem. The presenters illustrated possibilities and challenges on different levels, and the session ended with an open discussion with the audience, where experiences were shared and possible solutions discussed. I think much of the work presented in this session is very useful to the Linguistics Data IG, which Lindsay and I co-chair.
    Live: In the session called “Data ethics and the UNESCO Recommendations on Open Science” the UNESCO recommendation which most of us are familiar with, where discussed in the light of ethics, while the term “data ethics” was used, they address research data with a life cycle approach to ethics. The DRAFT for the policy brief is available here. Another session i found interesting was Semantics / Metadata here there were several interesting presentations of tools and workflows for improving metadata also on file and spreadsheet level, my favourite quote was from the presenter of “Advancing nanomaterials structure, fate and toxicity data integration to generate machine actionable datasets: A case study using the NanoPharos and TOXRIC databases”, who argued for the need to simplify the language: “let´s call it a vocabulary rather than a semantic artifact”, arguing that if we want people to learn an used this, we cannot wrap it in jargon making it even harder to approach. This session had several interesting approaches to enriched metadata, and tools which is worth taking a look at, such as the CEDAR and HuBMAP but struggle a bit with jargon and acronym overload.
    Elin: I enjoyed the plenary Session ‘Data and global challenges: data, science, trust and policy’ – where various initiatives working towards reaching the UNs Sustainability goals were presented. For example were the Ocean Data and Information system presented, and here a digital ecosystem for ocean data are being built to support saving the world’s oceans. Representatives from HealthAI talked of how AI for health needs global collaboration on regulation to ensure that the divide between different areas of the globe does not increase.  Discussions are also taking place on how research are funded today – whether national allocation is the most effective approach here, or whether a higher level structure is needed. Librarians and colleagues at Sikt and UiT may appreciate the Data Discovery Paradigms interest groups output: Ten recommendations for data repositories/catalogues to improve data discoverability. The last five recommendations were reviewed in the meeting. 
    We hope you find our guidance to the video-overland from IDW23 useful.

Best
    Lindsay (NTNU)
    Trude (Sintef)
    Anne F. (Simula)
    Trond (Sikt)
    Helene (UiT) 
    Elin (UiS)
    and Live (UiO)