Skip to main content

Notice

The new RDA web platform is still being rolled out. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Please report bugs, broken links and provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Stay updated about the web site milestones at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/.

Next version of the RDA Europe Sustainability Task Force document

• Creator
    Discussion

Fotis Karagiannis
    Participant

Dear all,
    I have tried to integrate the vast majority of the comments raised. I attach the document in two versions as usual:
    * With tracked changes and comments (based on Peter’s version)
    * A clean version.
    The main changes are the following:
    * Added an executive summary
    * Rewritten the Conclusions and Recommendations section (reworked also the recommendations so that this section is not empty)
    * Took into account individual comments from Leif, Peter and Silvana.
    * Made some other minor edits and updates
    I think that the document is in good shape and following our decision in the last meeting the document will be sent to RDA Council (via Ingrid). I will also plan to share it with the RDA Secretariat.
    I would like to apologise that it was not possible to circulate it earlier. In case you have some immediate comments, please let me know. In any case, it is still a draft -work in progress document, and this is clearly labeled in the first page and also the Executive Summary.
    I would like to thank you for all your contributions and reviews, and I believe this is a satisfactory result, of a first full draft.
    Kind regards,
    Fotis

Fotis Karayannis, Dr. Eng.
    RDA secretariat-OAB liaison
    ATHENA Research Center
    Phone: +30 211 1206 431
    Mobile: +30 6945 878784
    Twitter: fkarayan

RDA_EU_-Task_Force_on_Sustainability_draft_0.8_24-11-2017-clean.docx

RDA_EU_-Task_Force_on_Sustainability_draft_0.8_24-11-2017-wtc_and_comments.docx

• Author
    Replies

Thank you Fotis for weaving in all the relevant points discussed where possible.
    One relevant consideration to add if we all agree, is about the opportunity of available additional funds awarded through the open calls of the cascading grant model introduced under rda Europe 4 where circa 750k€ is set aside for grants, not little money, to also experts amount – this, in my opinion, should be added to the section 4.3.5 when you refer to role of individual members supporting who work ‘non-Funded’ outside of usual remit of work –
    This is clearly a positive sign of expertise being funnelled under RDA and where the expertise can be developed, implemented under RDA and there is a win win for the individual, whether he/ she is receiving backing or not from the individual organisation.
    Obtaining both funds & recognition for his or work being carried out & showing this publicly is also in line with primary recommendations coming out of the Eosc HLEG findings- the data scientist is being recognised for their individual work.
    Under FP9 i am of the understanding that the cascading grant model will be used more & more often to facilitate a more open process & capitalise in externals not necessarily past of the core consortia.
    Thank you for the work done.
    Best wishes
    Silvana

Dear Fotis,
    again: thanks a lot for your effort to create this excellent document.
    best
    Peter
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    Peter Wittenburg Tel: +49 15141858784 ***@***.***; http://www.mpcdf.mpg.de/~pewi
    Max Planck Computing and Data Facility
    RDA Europe Director
    From: Fotis Karagiannis [mailto:***@***.***-innovation.gr]
    Sent: Freitag, 24. November 2017 04:38
    To: RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability
    Cc: RDA EU Board of Directors
    Subject: [Rdaeu-bod] Next version of the RDA Europe Sustainability Task Force document
    Dear all,
    I have tried to integrate the vast majority of the comments raised. I attach the document in two versions as usual:
    * A clean version.
    * Rewritten the Conclusions and Recommendations section (reworked also the recommendations so that this section is not empty)
    I think that the document is in good shape and following our decision in the last meeting the document will be sent to RDA Council (via Ingrid). I will also plan to share it with the RDA Secretariat.
    I would like to apologise that it was not possible to circulate it earlier. In case you have some immediate comments, please let me know. In any case, it is still a draft -work in progress document, and this is clearly labeled in the first page and also the Executive Summary.
    I would like to thank you for all your contributions and reviews, and I believe this is a satisfactory result, of a first full draft.
    Kind regards,
    Fotis

ATHENA Research Center

Thanks Peter, all,
    One piece of information that may be somehow relevant is the interim evaluation of the H2020 RI+eInfra Work Programme by independent experts. This is available here: http://ec.europa.eu/research/infrastructures/pdf/ri_interim_evaluation_e
    There are various points of interest, however the point that is relevant to sustainability is their critical remarks about the GEANT and PRACE model and the big amounts given to these projects. They seem to recommend a better deal with Member States to take-up some further part of the integration “glue”. Of course in such cases we are talking for much-much bigger amounts (probably an order of magnitude) than the RDA may require for operational grants beyond H2020, there should be no doubt about this. Still I wanted to flag this to all of you.
    There are positive references about RDA and also a reference on test-beds (although their purpose is slightly different, thus indirectly relevant).
    GEANT references
    “There is particular concern that a sustainable settlement must be agreed between member states to support PRACE (the HPC infrastructure) and GÉANT (networking), because of the increasing sums being contributed, seemingly haphazardly, from H2020 RI and the possibility that this will seriously restrict funds for other objectives”
    “Thus far, during the course of the EINFRA programme, there have been a series of specific, and sometimes very large, investments into aspects of HPC provision (PRACE) and networking (GEANT). In the case of GEANT this involves, inter alia, the funds to join the various national components into a cross-European whole. Each of these funding investments appears sensible in its specific purpose, and there is no doubt that these infrastructures are absolutely vital to the future of European science.
    However this piecemeal injection of H2020 funding (which has now spread beyond EINFRA and INFRASUPP into INFRADEV) is neither effective nor efficient because it is not addressing the main issue here, which is that there is no long-term agreement for the European-level funding and development of these essential resources by member states. It also seems likely that by continuing to support the “glue” which holds the parts together, H2020 RI may be removing the incentive for such an agreement to develop.”
    RDA references:
    “Data: The Research Data Alliance was launched as a bottom-up organisation tackling research data issues such as interoperability and standardization”
    “The first significant international vision on the open data agenda was an EC High Level Expert Group Report, Riding the Wave (2010)15 Subsequent support for the Research Data Alliance (RDA) to work globally has placed the EU at the forefront of transnational data access policy”
    “In some areas, e.g. data services, there is still very little coherence and it could be argued that the most significant EC investment has been to drive policy through its sponsorship of the Research Data Alliance, and to lead community behaviour through the Data Management Plans Pilot and through training”
    “The H2020 RI programme has also played a major role in the development of the Open Science and Open Data agenda worldwide, largely through its sponsorship of the Research Data Alliance and the role played in taking its message to the G8”.
    Test-bed reference
    “People are at the core: data owners, data providers and data users. E INFRA have to be complemented with an office dealing with ethic, trust, privacy and regulation. Furthermore, Large scale Test Beds are mandatory to transform innovations and new technologies from e INFRA into real-world services to test cross-border data exchange mechanisms under real-life conditions and to foster the digitalization process of industry and cities”
    All the best,
    Fotis
    From: Rdaeu-bod [mailto:***@***.***-alliance.org] On Behalf Of Wittenburg, Peter
    Sent: Saturday, November 25, 2017 11:01 AM
    To: Fotis Karagiannis ; RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability
    Subject: Re: [Rdaeu-bod] Next version of the RDA Europe Sustainability Task Force document
    Dear Fotis,
    again: thanks a lot for your effort to create this excellent document.
    best
    Peter
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    Peter Wittenburg Tel: +49 15141858784 ***@***.***; http://www.mpcdf.mpg.de/~pewi
    Max Planck Computing and Data Facility
    RDA Europe Director
    From: Fotis Karagiannis [mailto:***@***.***-innovation.gr]
    Sent: Freitag, 24. November 2017 04:38
    To: RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability
    Subject: [Rdaeu-bod] Next version of the RDA Europe Sustainability Task Force document
    Dear all,
    * A clean version.
    Kind regards,
    Fotis

ATHENA Research Center