Skip to main content

Notice

The new RDA web platform is still being rolled out. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Please report bugs, broken links and provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Stay updated about the web site milestones at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/.

Doodle for the next RDA EU3 TF on Sustainability call – please fill in

  • Creator
    Discussion
  • #112808

    Fotis Karagiannis
    Participant

    Dear all,
    First of all, thanks for your feedback. As discussed during the BoD call, we need to plan for a next TF call during which the RDA Europe 4 sustainability plans are presented to the Task Force (especially as not all TF members participate in the RDA EU 4 project). The points raised below by Silvana (and other points) should be presented and have a discussion. I thus have prepared a doodle available at https://doodle.com/poll/53bceu72iiy5y5a2
    We certainly needs our Trust-IT colleagues to be available and as many of the TF members.
    I remind you that the overall timeline that we agreed is the following:
    * Have a Task Force meeting not later than the 16th of November. I plan to prepare a next version in time for this meeting.
    * Following the discussions during that meeting on RDA Europe 4 plans and other points, create a next version in a week, i.e. by 22-23 November
    * Share this version with RDA Global structures (especially Council and Secretariat), given also the RDA Council meeting is taking place in the last week of November (29-30 I think)
    So, please fill in the doodle by Monday the 6th of November.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kind regards,
    Fotis
    – Show quoted text -From: Rdaeu-bod [mailto:***@***.***-alliance.org] On Behalf Of Francoise Genova
    Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:34 AM
    To: ***@***.***-alliance.org
    Subject: Re: [Rdaeu-bod] [rdaeu-sustainability] Re: [rdaeu-sustainability] Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    We also have to have in mind CoreTrustSeal (DSA + WDS) repository certification, which is already existing and trusted. I understand that this is likely different but this has to be properly discussed and understood.
    Thanks
    Francoise
    From: FabrizioGagliardi=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Fabrizio.Gagliardi
    Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:40 AM
    To: Silvana Muscella ; Fotis Karagiannis ; Peter Wittenburg
    ; RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability
    Cc: RDA EU Board of Directors
    Subject: [rdaeu-sustainability] RE: [Rdaeu-bod] [rdaeu-sustainability] Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    I agree that RDA providing a certification service and acting as a clearing house for open scientific data could give RDA a role worth for funding agencies also in the member states to support. So I am fully for this idea.
    Fab
    Le 25/10/2017 à 10:29, Silvana Muscella a écrit :
    Dear fotis, Peter et al,
    I appreciate the call is on now and I know Timea will articulate these 3 points I raise below – first thank you Fotis for pooling the document together- my main observations are the following:
    1. The national node workplan that has been constructed nicely & circulated 2 weeks ago describes how the national node practical & measurable terms going forward that is missing from this report – I am sure the EC will want to see in this report the very close transition between the RDA Europe 3 & RDA Europe 4 – Timea can send that template to you all again if you do not recall it;
    2. The joint & individual dissemination & exploitation plans listed under RDA Europe 4 under each of the regional & national synergies compliment point 1 above & recognises the individual sustainability which I believe is missing from the report;
    3) “Data Being Certified” I have returned form the 2nd f2f EOSC HELG meeting which took place yesterday an interestingly one of the take-aways to include in the Interim report is the following observation:
    A Role that could be carried out on an EU level is a certification level, seals etc – we introduce a level of trust Open Access – this is far better done on a continental level rather than on a national level. Data is disseminated effectively if they are available and made open (or rather as open as possible, as close as necessary) through trusted and certified repositories and respect FAIR principles enabling re-use into data products (with related recognition/citation for the data producer, curators) potentially generating innovation and added value so we would have buy-in from :
    1. Member States: – They see that the research institutes & researchers have a listed number of certified service
    2. Researchers: – See their publishable results as Open Access and CERTIFIED – build their reputation as this is an incentive & they obtain recognition;
    3. Research Infrastructures: have their products/services obtain a “seal of approval” or accepted “certification”
    4. eInfrastructures: as above – have their products/services obtain a “seal of approval” or accepted “certification”.
    So envisaging this
    Could RDA consider pursuing the idea of light certification /seals of approval with an RDA stamp on them as a way forward on some of the outputs & recommendations?
    This moves also the thinking to a more “RDA Service Oriented FORUM”which will inevitably have buy-in from each of the above 4 groups
    i hope you have a productive call
    best wishes silvana
    Il 25/10/2017 02:35, Fotis Karagiannis ha scritto:
    Dear Peter, all,
    I agree with your points. I have integrated the points on 2.2 and 2.3, besides the FAIR Implementation Expert Group. If you or Leif can write a paragraph I can integrate it.
    Regarding 4, I agree, and I have added a sentence at the end of section 3 (after the financial sub-section) along your lines.
    Regarding 5, this is clear, but we need to converge first on 4 (see Francoise’s comments), before proceeding to the recommendations.
    Kind regards,
    Fotis
    From: peter.wittenburg=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Peter Wittenburg
    Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:49 PM
    To: Fotis Karagiannis ; RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability
    Cc: RDA EU Board of Directors
    Subject: Re: [rdaeu-sustainability] Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    Dear Fotis, all,
    since I could not get you, Fotis, to a skype call, let me make my points quickly.
    wrt 2.2
    We should add short descriptions about ITU, OAI, DONA which are busy working on some aspects. I could draft paragraphs.
    wrt2.3
    We should also mention the FAIR Implementation Expert group where a few of us are in. Leif or I can draft a short formulation.
    We should not only refer to ELXIR when mentioning sci communities. This creates much sensitivity, since as you know some communities have been FAIR already some years ago, but they are not so loud as others perhaps. So I would like to see references to astronomy (IVOA or so), climate modelling (ENES) and CLARIN at least.
    wrt 4
    I believe that we should make assumptions about how funding of RDA may evolve from 2018 on and have a few scenarios. One is that industry jumps in substantiall and that EC, NSF will turn down their funding stepwise. We need to discuss such scenarios and show some simple graphs that go beyond 2020. Only if we set it ass goal to involve industry it will be done.
    We need to state clearly what we can expect from national nodes. From a German only perspective I can clearly state that there will not be much money as contribution. And RDA DE will make a contract with RDA Global and not with RDA EU. We should be clear about this or indicate possibilities.
    wrt 5
    The recommendations will reflect of course on what is stated in 4.
    best
    peter
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    Peter Wittenburg Tel: +49 15141858784 ***@***.***; http://www.mpcdf.mpg.de/~pewi
    Max Planck Computing and Data Facility
    RDA Europe Director
    From: Rdaeu-bod [mailto:***@***.***-alliance.org] On Behalf Of Fotis Karagiannis
    Sent: Dienstag, 26. September 2017 04:18
    To: RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability
    Cc: RDA EU Board of Directors
    Subject: Re: [Rdaeu-bod] Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    Dear all,
    Now that the RDA Plenary is over, it would be good if you can review the document and provide your comments. As I wrote below, it is still a draft and we need to agree on some possible scenarios for sustainability. I would appreciate if you can send your comments until the 5th of October.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kind regards,
    Fotis
    From: Fotis Karagiannis
    Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 7:13 AM
    To: RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability ; RDA EU Board of Directors
    Subject: Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    Hi all,
    Please find attached the next version of the Task Force report trying to take into account as many as possible of your comments from the Munich meeting. I have also made a first (hasty) landscape analysis, but it needs more work.
    It is yet a draft report -work in progress but it now includes some of your ideas. I didn’t have the time for proof-reading, but it is better to send it now.
    Please have a look and let me know your comments.
    It may be early to send it to the RDA Global; on the other hand it may be the case that the sooner we start the interactions the faster we will converge. Your views are appreciated on this also.
    All the best,
    Fotis

    Fotis Karayannis, Dr. Eng.
    RDA secretariat-OAB liaison
    ATHENA Research Center
    Phone: +30 211 1206 431
    Mobile: +30 6945 878784
    Skype: fotis71
    Twitter: fkarayan
    _______________________________________________
    Rdaeu-bod mailing list
    ***@***.***-alliance.org
    http://mail.europe.rd-alliance.org/mailman/listinfo/rdaeu-bod_europe.rd-

    Silvana Muscella | CEO & Founder Trust-IT Services.com
    M + 39 346 2233822
    Twitter: @silvanamuscella
    Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of all or any portion of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from your system.

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-europe-task-force-sustainability/p
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/57876
    _______________________________________________
    Rdaeu-bod mailing list
    ***@***.***-alliance.org
    http://mail.europe.rd-alliance.org/mailman/listinfo/rdaeu-bod_europe.rd-
    Dear all,
    First of all, thanks for your feedback. As discussed during the BoD call, we need to plan for a next TF call during which the RDA Europe 4 sustainability plans are presented to the Task Force (especially as not all TF members participate in the RDA EU 4 project). The points raised below by Silvana (and other points) should be presented and have a discussion. I thus have prepared a doodle available at https://doodle.com/poll/53bceu72iiy5y5a2
    We certainly needs our Trust-IT colleagues to be available and as many of the TF members.
    I remind you that the overall timeline that we agreed is the following:
    * Have a Task Force meeting not later than the 16th of November. I plan to prepare a next version in time for this meeting.
    * Following the discussions during that meeting on RDA Europe 4 plans and other points, create a next version in a week, i.e. by 22-23 November
    * Share this version with RDA Global structures (especially Council and Secretariat), given also the RDA Council meeting is taking place in the last week of November (29-30 I think)
    So, please fill in the doodle by Monday the 6th of November.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kind regards,
    Fotis
    From: Rdaeu-bod [mailto:***@***.***-alliance.org] On Behalf Of Francoise Genova
    Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:34 AM
    To: ***@***.***-alliance.org
    Subject: Re: [Rdaeu-bod] [rdaeu-sustainability] Re: [rdaeu-sustainability] Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    We also have to have in mind CoreTrustSeal (DSA + WDS) repository certification, which is already existing and trusted. I understand that this is likely different but this has to be properly discussed and understood.
    Thanks
    Francoise
    From: FabrizioGagliardi=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Fabrizio.Gagliardi
    Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:40 AM
    To: Silvana Muscella ; Fotis Karagiannis ; Peter Wittenburg
    ; RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability
    Cc: RDA EU Board of Directors
    Subject: [rdaeu-sustainability] RE: [Rdaeu-bod] [rdaeu-sustainability] Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    I agree that RDA providing a certification service and acting as a clearing house for open scientific data could give RDA a role worth for funding agencies also in the member states to support. So I am fully for this idea.
    Fab
    Le 25/10/2017 à 10:29, Silvana Muscella a écrit :
    Dear fotis, Peter et al,
    I appreciate the call is on now and I know Timea will articulate these 3 points I raise below – first thank you Fotis for pooling the document together- my main observations are the following:
    1. The national node workplan that has been constructed nicely & circulated 2 weeks ago describes how the national node practical & measurable terms going forward that is missing from this report – I am sure the EC will want to see in this report the very close transition between the RDA Europe 3 & RDA Europe 4 – Timea can send that template to you all again if you do not recall it;
    2. The joint & individual dissemination & exploitation plans listed under RDA Europe 4 under each of the regional & national synergies compliment point 1 above & recognises the individual sustainability which I believe is missing from the report;
    3) “Data Being Certified” I have returned form the 2nd f2f EOSC HELG meeting which took place yesterday an interestingly one of the take-aways to include in the Interim report is the following observation:
    A Role that could be carried out on an EU level is a certification level, seals etc – we introduce a level of trust Open Access – this is far better done on a continental level rather than on a national level. Data is disseminated effectively if they are available and made open (or rather as open as possible, as close as necessary) through trusted and certified repositories and respect FAIR principles enabling re-use into data products (with related recognition/citation for the data producer, curators) potentially generating innovation and added value so we would have buy-in from :
    1. Member States: – They see that the research institutes & researchers have a listed number of certified service
    2. Researchers: – See their publishable results as Open Access and CERTIFIED – build their reputation as this is an incentive & they obtain recognition;
    3. Research Infrastructures: have their products/services obtain a “seal of approval” or accepted “certification”
    4. eInfrastructures: as above – have their products/services obtain a “seal of approval” or accepted “certification”.
    So envisaging this
    Could RDA consider pursuing the idea of light certification /seals of approval with an RDA stamp on them as a way forward on some of the outputs & recommendations?
    This moves also the thinking to a more “RDA Service Oriented FORUM”which will inevitably have buy-in from each of the above 4 groups
    i hope you have a productive call
    best wishes silvana
    Il 25/10/2017 02:35, Fotis Karagiannis ha scritto:
    Dear Peter, all,
    I agree with your points. I have integrated the points on 2.2 and 2.3, besides the FAIR Implementation Expert Group. If you or Leif can write a paragraph I can integrate it.
    Regarding 4, I agree, and I have added a sentence at the end of section 3 (after the financial sub-section) along your lines.
    Regarding 5, this is clear, but we need to converge first on 4 (see Francoise’s comments), before proceeding to the recommendations.
    Kind regards,
    Fotis
    From: peter.wittenburg=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Peter Wittenburg
    Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:49 PM
    To: Fotis Karagiannis ; RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability
    Cc: RDA EU Board of Directors
    Subject: Re: [rdaeu-sustainability] Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    Dear Fotis, all,
    since I could not get you, Fotis, to a skype call, let me make my points quickly.
    wrt 2.2
    We should add short descriptions about ITU, OAI, DONA which are busy working on some aspects. I could draft paragraphs.
    wrt2.3
    We should also mention the FAIR Implementation Expert group where a few of us are in. Leif or I can draft a short formulation.
    We should not only refer to ELXIR when mentioning sci communities. This creates much sensitivity, since as you know some communities have been FAIR already some years ago, but they are not so loud as others perhaps. So I would like to see references to astronomy (IVOA or so), climate modelling (ENES) and CLARIN at least.
    wrt 4
    I believe that we should make assumptions about how funding of RDA may evolve from 2018 on and have a few scenarios. One is that industry jumps in substantiall and that EC, NSF will turn down their funding stepwise. We need to discuss such scenarios and show some simple graphs that go beyond 2020. Only if we set it ass goal to involve industry it will be done.
    We need to state clearly what we can expect from national nodes. From a German only perspective I can clearly state that there will not be much money as contribution. And RDA DE will make a contract with RDA Global and not with RDA EU. We should be clear about this or indicate possibilities.
    wrt 5
    The recommendations will reflect of course on what is stated in 4.
    best
    peter
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    Peter Wittenburg Tel: +49 15141858784 ***@***.***; http://www.mpcdf.mpg.de/~pewi
    Max Planck Computing and Data Facility
    RDA Europe Director
    From: Rdaeu-bod [mailto:***@***.***-alliance.org] On Behalf Of Fotis Karagiannis
    Sent: Dienstag, 26. September 2017 04:18
    To: RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability
    Cc: RDA EU Board of Directors
    Subject: Re: [Rdaeu-bod] Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    Dear all,
    Now that the RDA Plenary is over, it would be good if you can review the document and provide your comments. As I wrote below, it is still a draft and we need to agree on some possible scenarios for sustainability. I would appreciate if you can send your comments until the 5th of October.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kind regards,
    Fotis
    – Show quoted text -From: Fotis Karagiannis
    Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 7:13 AM
    To: RDA Europe Task Force on Sustainability ; RDA EU Board of Directors
    Subject: Next version of RDA EU TF on sustainability report
    Hi all,
    Please find attached the next version of the Task Force report trying to take into account as many as possible of your comments from the Munich meeting. I have also made a first (hasty) landscape analysis, but it needs more work.
    It is yet a draft report -work in progress but it now includes some of your ideas. I didn’t have the time for proof-reading, but it is better to send it now.
    Please have a look and let me know your comments.
    It may be early to send it to the RDA Global; on the other hand it may be the case that the sooner we start the interactions the faster we will converge. Your views are appreciated on this also.
    All the best,
    Fotis

    Fotis Karayannis, Dr. Eng.
    RDA secretariat-OAB liaison
    ATHENA Research Center
    Phone: +30 211 1206 431
    Mobile: +30 6945 878784
    Skype: fotis71
    Twitter: fkarayan
    _______________________________________________
    Rdaeu-bod mailing list
    ***@***.***-alliance.org
    http://mail.europe.rd-alliance.org/mailman/listinfo/rdaeu-bod_europe.rd-

    Silvana Muscella | CEO & Founder Trust-IT Services.com
    M + 39 346 2233822
    Twitter: @silvanamuscella
    Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of all or any portion of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from your system.

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-europe-task-force-sustainability/p
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/57876
    _______________________________________________
    Rdaeu-bod mailing list
    ***@***.***-alliance.org
    http://mail.europe.rd-alliance.org/mailman/listinfo/rdaeu-bod_europe.rd-

Log in to reply.