This is a working area dedicated to RDA-related activities, updates and events in Australia.
If you would like to contribute to the group or receive all RDA in Australia updates, please register by clicking on the green "Join Group" button on the right. You will then be automatically subscribed to the group mailinglist.
Please also feel free to share your own events and activities via posts to the mailinglist, by creating Wiki pages, or by adding to the group calendar. You can also email stefanie.kethers<at>ardc.edu.au if you would like information included in this group.
Information about Upcoming RDA Events
RDA 20th Plenary, Gothenburg, Sweden, March 21-23, 2023 - A Decade of Data - 2013 - 2023
- This is the Research Data Alliance's 10th Anniversary Plenary meeting and will be held in a hybrid format.
Some Useful Information
- "Road to the Plenary" infographic with suggested activities to prepare for the Plenary in Melbourne - but they apply to other Plenaries, as well!
- The RDA for Newcomers page, which contains written information, videos, and links to the slides of the RDA for Newcomers sessions run at the last Plenaries.
- RDA in Australia poster for Plenary 15: RDA in Australia - help us improve! - Please provide your input.
- Information on Plenary 14, which took place in October 2019 in Helsinki:
- Page on Hilary Hanahoe's RDA Meet & Greet Australia tour (24 July - 8 August 2019) - includes all presentation slides, the Meet & Greet Australia Webinar and an e-communication package. Hilary has also written a Blog post about her tour.
RDA 19th Plenary meeting, part of International Data Week, 20–23 June 2022, Seoul, South Korea
- The RDA Plenary 19 recordings now available: via the RDA's 19th Plenary: Programme page
RDA Virtual Plenary 18 (3-11 November 2021, Virtual)
- Session recordings are available on the RDA Youtube Channel and through the VP18 programme page.
- For further information, please view the VP18 Final Report.
Virtual Regional Event (mid-May 2021)
Following the Virtual Regional Event after Plenary 16, we will be running a Virtual Regional Event in mid-May 2021 to pick up on some of the topics discussed and adddressed at the RDA Plenary in a series of virtual meetings. The confirmed sessions are:
A National Approach to Research Software (in conjunction with Data Science Week).
Tuesday, 11 May, 15:00-16:00 AEST - Check the event time in your time zone
Infrastructure and Data Management Plans (DMPs) (in conjunction with the Australasian DMPs IG)
Tuesday, 18 May, 14:00 - 15:00 AEST - Check the event time in your time zone
RDA Q&A and catch-up session
Wednesday, 19 May, 15:00 - 15:45 AEST - Check the event time in your time zone
Thursday, 20 May, 14:00-14:30 AEST - Check the event time in your time zone
For more information on each session, please visit http://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-australia/wiki/rda-virtual-plenary-17-virtual-regional-event
RDA Virtual Plenary 17 (20-23 April 2021, Edinburgh, Scotland)
The Digital Curation Centre in collaboration with Jisc and STFC-UKRI hosted RDA'S 17th Plenary meeting on 20-23 April 2021, as a fully virtual event.
The programme for the Plenary is available at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rdas-17th-plenary-meeting-programme. Recordings will be made available to registered Plenary participants shortly after the Plenary, and will be publicly available on the RDA youtube channel about 6 weeks after the Plenary.
- You can find more information about the Plenary on the VP17 page.
- The recording and presentations from the first webinar on RDA and Why You Should Attend Virtual Plenary 17 can be found here.
Virtual Regional Event (23-27 November 2020)
From 23-27 November 2020, we ran a free Virtual Regional Event picking up the following topics discussed and adddressed at the RDA Plenary in a series of virtual meetings:
COVID-19 (Monday 23 November 2020, 13:00 - 15:00 AEDT - Check the event time in your time zone)
Data versioning and data life cycle (Tuesday 24 November 2020, 13:00 - 15:00 AEDT - Check the event time in your time zone)
FAIR (Wednesday 25 November 2020, 13:00 - 15:00 AEDT - Check the event time in your time zone)
Skills (Thursday 26 November 2020, 13:00 - 15:00 AEDT - Check the event time in your time zone)
- Research Software (Friday 2 November 2020, 13:00 - 15:00 AEDT - Check the event in your time zone)
Please visit https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-australia/wiki/rda-virtual-plenary-16-regional-event for more information. We wll also publish slides from the sessions there.
RDA Virtual Plenary 16, 9-12 (10-13) November 2020
- RDA P16 was held as a Virtual Plenary from 9-12 November 2020, which was 10-13 November for our time zones.
- Recordings from the more than 70 breakout sessions, keynotes, and panel discussions will be made available to registered attendees within 24-48 hours (some sessions are already available) and will be accessible at that location for four weeks. After that time, we will be uploading the files to the RDA YouTube account, in the VP16 playlist.
Virtual Poster Session Competition : A special congratulations to Maria Luiza M. Campos and her team, the winner of the VP16 Poster Session who received the most votes from our virtual attendees, for the poster titled ‘VODAN BRAZIL - the Brazilian experience at the Virus Outbreak Data Network’
A more detailed recap of VP16 will be shared with the community in the coming weeks providing statistics, feedback received and lessons learned.
RDA’s Global Adoption Week (15 - 19 June 2020)
Webinars were run each day to demonstrate RDA’s adoptable and adopted solutions to data sharing challenges that people in the field encounter in their daily jobs. Webinar topics will focus on areas of the Research Data Lifecycle and include: Data Management (Monday), Data Description (Tuesday), Identity-Store-Preserve (Wednesday), Disseminate-Link-Find (Thursday), Policy-Legal Compliance-Capacity (Friday).
Please visit https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-global-adoption-week-15-19-june-2020 to acces the recordings.
RDA Virtual Plenary (18 March - 10 April 2020)
After the cancellation of RDA Plenary 15, which was to be held in Melbourne from 18-20 March 2020, RDA facilitated a Virtual Plenary (VP 15) meeting with virtual breakout sessions, keynotes and a poster session. The keynotes and many of the breakout sessions were recorded and have been, or will be published. Collaborative session notes are also available for most breakout sessions. You can find more information on the following pages:
- Virtual Plenary Programme with links to the session pages and keynote recordings
- Virtual Poster Session
Special congratulations to Katarzyna Biernacka, the winner of theVP15 Poster Session who received the most votes from our virtual attendees, for her poster titled ‘The Missing Data - The Relationship Between Legal Requirements and Open Research Data’.
- Survey for VP participants - please respond by Monday, 27 April 2020, 17:00 UTC
Webinar: Engaging Researchers with Data Management: The Cookbook
Thursday, 27 February 2020 at 01:00 AM UTC / 12:00 noon AEDT / 11:30 ACDT / 11:00 AEST / 10:30 ACST / 09:00 AWST / 14:00 NZDT (Check the event time in your time zone)
Speakers: James Savage, Connie Clare and Raman Ganguly
Slides and the recording from the Webinar are now available on the Webinar page.
Webinar: A Curriculum For Foundational Research Data Science Skills For Early Career Researchers
Tuesday, 4 February 2020, 16:00 AEDT / 15:30 ACDT / 15:00 AEST / 14:30 ACST / 13:00 AWST / 05:00 UTC (Check the event time in your time zone)
Speakers: Hugh Shanahan, Paula Martinez, Jacqueline Stephens
Slides and the recording from the Webinar are available on the Webinar page.
Webinar: What is RDA and Why Should I Attend the 15th Plenary in Melbourne?
Webinar, 11 December 2019, 1:00pm AEDT / 12:30pm ACDT / 12 noon AEST / 11:30 ACST / 10am AWST
Speakers include Hilary Hanahoe, RDA Secretary General, and RDA members from Australia Jill Benn (University of Western Australia), Frankie Stevens (AARNet) and Jens Klump (CSIRO).
Slides and the recording from the Webinar are available on the Webinar page.
At eResearch Australasia 2019 (which took place at the same time as the 14th RDA Plenary in Helsinki), Keith Russell (ARDC) gave a talk on "Reaping the benefits of the Research Data Alliance in Australia". Leanne Griffiths (CSIRO) and Keith also presented an eResearch ePoster: "The Road to Melbourne - how to get the most out of the Plenary".
Specific topics of interest
Data Management Plans
- There is an active RDA Interest Groups on Data Management Plans: Active Data Management Plans IG, plus two RDA Working Groups currently finalising their outputs: DMP Common Standards WG, and Exposing Data Management Plans WG.
- The material (including the slides and recording) from the Webinar on Data Management Plans in the RDA Output Adoption Webinar Series (31 July 2019) with speakers Daniel Bangert (RDA Secretariat), Kathryn Unsworth (Exposing Data Management Plans WG), Tomasz Miksa (Active Data Management Plans IG), Peter Neish (DMP Common Standards WG), Sam Rust (DCC) is now available.
- The ARDC facilitates a local Data Management Plans Interest Group, which feeds into the RDA Working and Interest Groups on Data Management Plans. See the ARDC Communities of Practice page for more detail.
- Publishers and funders are increasingly looking at data being deposited in certified Trusted Data Repositories. This came, for example, out of the European Commission Expert Group on FAIR data (p.12, 14, 17; Recommendation 9, 20 p.15, 17) and publisher and community signing of the AGU Enabling FAIR data commitment statement. To help organisations have trustworthy data repositories, particularly the CoreTrustSeal certification, ARDC has been bringing together a community of practice. By sharing experiences and documents through the community of practice, effort will be reduced for all involved to gain CoreTrustSeal certification. ARDC has already worked with CSIRO, the National Imaging Facility and Australian Data Archive to achieve CoreTrustSeal certification in 2016-2018.
- For more detail, please visit https://bit.ly/2ROY38F.