P2 Program Details

Monday

Business Meeting

  • Introduction of Council (~90 seconds for the Newcomers, less for Fran and Ross, Photo of John) and recognition of Secretariat (no speaking just putting names to the faces)--10 min

  • Briefly explain bidding process for P4 and beyond (Ross do this)--10 min or less for announcement and questions

  • Logistics

    • Point out Sect/Web help desk

    • brief words of how to use organic groups People will collaborate as they do, but official record should be at rd-alliance.org.

    • Point out extra room for BoFs

    • tell Posters to put up early

  • Explain process for gathering ideas for discussion (Mark)

    • easels in common spaces and in breakout rooms where people can put concerns, ideas, or suggestions for discussion topics during the meeting. We will gather ideas up until Tuesday lunchtime. During lunch we compile and categorize. We will then put the compiled topics up for "dot voting" (before lunch is over, if possible). We will put dots and maybe an explanation slip in pre-assembled badges at registration. Close voting at the end of the day Tuesday. The top x  will be the topics for moderated discussion on Wednesday (I may seek to identify a spokesperson for each topic ahead of time).

  • WG updates (5 min each for all 6 recognized WGs)--30 min

    • Categories and Codes

    • ​DFT

    • DTR--Larry Lannom

    • Metadata Registry

    • PID Types

    • Practical Policy--Reagan Moore

  • Organizational Assembly (up to Juan)--45min

 

 

TAB

  • Andrew Treloar
  • Bill  Michener
  • Francoise Genova
  • Beth Plale
  • Peter Wittenberg

 

  • Bridget Almas
  • Peter Baumann
  • Simon Cox
  • Bob Downs
  • John Kunze
  • Susanna-Assunta Sansone
  • Jennifer Schopf
  •  Stefano Nativi
  •  Jamie Shiers
  • Rainer Stotzka

 

  • Giuseppe Fiameni--can skype
  • Peter Fox--Will send recording
  • David Fulker--can skype (dave.fulker.boatright)
  • Michael Lautenschlager--Larry will read his statement

 

Tuesday

Breakout Descriptions

 

Agricultural Data

Big Data Analytics

BoF: Chemical Safety

would like web conference capability.

https://rd-alliance.org/filedepot/folder/150?fid=179

 

 

This is the second BoF and a follow on from the first BoF that has been held at the 1st RDA Plenary In Gothenburg, Sweden.
The BoF will review the developments since the first BoF both in attendees' organisations and in international bodies dealing with the standards and policy development in the area of Big Data and Data Intensive Science and technologies. The BoF will provide an overview of the Big Data Architecture Framework that incorporates the main components of the Big Data Ecosystem and discuss how it can be used for defining the stakeholder model, skills profile and curriculum scope.
The BoF will discuss the prospective Interest Group charter possible cooperation framework for inter-organisational cooperation in developing educational and training programs on Data Intensive Science and e-Infrastructure.

BoF: Education and Training in Data Intensive Science

Brokering

Community Capability Model

See program at https://rd-alliance.org/filedepot/folder/150?fid=181

 

Data Citation

Webcon: I do not think we will need Web Conferencing for the f2f WG meeting in Washington. As you pointed out, virtual and f2f combinations don't work out all too well

This WG aims at providing solutions for enabling the citation of data in settings where huge volumes of data are involved, where data is changing, i.e. being amended, updateed/corrected, and where thus traditional approaches of citing an entire static volume of data is not sufficient.

We will build upon the results of the first WG meeting in Gothenburg where we discussed different types of data and dynamics. During the break-out meeting we aim at identifying scenarios and resulting requirements for machine-actionable data citation, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of approaches identified so far, and see whether any concrete pilots emerge. We will also discuss the cross-links to other WGs to identify issues related to PID systems, metadata to be associated with such a data citation, etc.  These requirements will also provide input to the Data Citation Harmonization meeting on Wed afternoon as part f an activity co-ordinated by FORCE 11, bringing together key projects and groups working on different aspects of data citation.

Data Foundations & Terminology

Webcon: We have 2 sessions planned.

The first will have enough status and briefings on our draft documents that I would like to have tele/video-conf for remote people to hear and see this.

The more discussion and white board activity of session 2 might not have audio.video but we should have a place to put the products of the day's sessions and notes.

Data Type Registries

Description: The two-hour Data Type Registries (DTR) breakout session will begin with a brief introduction for newcomers to the group. We will then move then to the consideration of use cases. A initial set have been published in the DTR section of the RDA web site. Additional use cases will be solicited. A proposed data model will be presented for discussion and an initial registry implementation will be described. Finally, potential relationship with other RDA WGs and other efforts will be discussed.

Economic Models & Infrastructures for Federated Materials Data Management

The proposed Materials Data Interest Group will hold a meeting Tuesday,, September 17 11:15-12:15 to discuss its proposed charter, focusing on:  (1)  (A)  federated data management infrastructures and (B) economic models of sustainability currently practiced in the materials community; and 2) ideas for a potential collaborative undertaking with CODATA TG on Materials Data that would be of value to the materials community .

Engagement

The Engagment interest group breakout session will take place Tuesday, September 17, 9am-12:15pm. Three short presentations and discussions during the session will help the group to identify its next steps and a core set of issues to work on.

 

 

9-9:10 - Welcome and introductions (Inna Kouper, all attendees)
9:10-9:20 - About the group, session agenda
9:20-9:35 - Mapping the landscape of stakeholders in the life sciences (Susanna-Assunta Sansone, University of Oxford/Nature Publishing Group)
9:35-9:40 - Q&A
9:40-9:55 - Use cases as a tool for engaging stakeholders in the preservation process (Sarah Ramdeen, UNC-Chapel Hill)
9:55-10:00 - Q&A
10:00-10:15 - Engagement at ESIP (Erin Robinson, Carol Meyer, ESIP Federation)
10:15-10:20 - Q&A
10:20-11:00 - Small group discussion
11:00-11:15 - Coffee break
11:15-12:15 - Summaries and future steps

Force11 BoF: Integration of Publications with Data and Privacy Tags for data.

Global registry of trusted data repositories and services

See RDA/WDS Certification.

Legal Interoperability

Webcon: at least one remote TG participant and probably more

https://rd-alliance.org/filedepot/folder/150?fid=180

https://www.rd-alliance.org/filedepot/folder/150?fid=232

 

 

Long tail of research data IG

Universities and research institutions are becoming increasingly interested in collecting and providing access to datasets produced at their institution that do not fall within the scope of other discipline-based, or government repositories. The aim of this Interest Group is to develop a set of good practices for managing research data archived in the university context. The scope of the topic will be limited to the data generated in universities and research institutions and the role of institutional repositories and libraries as agents of the institutional data management.

 
Attendees are asked in advance to identify a dataset produced at an institutions, for which the researcher has archived the data locally or is looking for a place to archive the dataset. Please describe the dataset according to the following elements: domain (research area), format, size, doi (yes or no), any access restrictions (i.e. privacy OR readability). These examples will contribute to the development of a number of dataset profiles that will help us better understand the nature of research data that constitutes the so called "long tail".
Agenda
 
1. Welcome: How did the interest group (IG) come about, what are the broad aims of the group.
 
2. What is the long tail? Presentation by Wolfram Horstmann and general discussion
 
3. Introductions and each person will describe their dataset (profiles will be developed based on these examples)
 
4. Review and discuss draft objectives for the IG:
 
Define the scope of datasets that will be addressed in this project.
Develop a number of use cases, based on a range of disciplinary practices and other approaches.
Map the current repository landscape: to categorize the types of repositories that do exist along a number of axes such as domain, open/closed, data formats, etc.; to have a understand the capacity of existing repositories to collect small datasets
Identify gaps
Review data federation approaches that provide mechanisms for supporting discovery across the myriad of existing repositories (distinguish domain specific attributes from generalizable practices)
Identify and publish good practices.
Identify skills and competencies for those managing research data in university repositories.
5. Next steps for the IG

Marine Data

The break-out session for the RDA Marine Data Interest Group will take place on Tuesday, 17 September at 12:15 to 13:25 in Salon C. The meeting will discuss the draft charter and in particular the activities planned for the group with regards to assessing the current state of the art for standards, formats, best practice etc. in use for marine data management including the documentation, assessment and dissemination of these standards etc. to the wider user community.

 
The BoF session will also discuss the strategy for the expansion of the IG membership and also how the RDA MarineData group will engage with other relevant RDA working and interest groups.

Metadata

 

14:00-14:10 - Welcome

14:10-14:20 - Brief overview/history, MASDIG progress

Useful links:

·         Disciplinary Metadata, see: DCC http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/metadata-standards

·         CERIF metadata model:  http://www.eurocris.org/Index.php?page=CERIFreleases&t=1

14:20-14:30 - Vision/ideas for MIG

14:30-15:00 - CAMP activities + outcomes; MASDIR – next steps

15:00-15:15 - Setting priorities, action items MASDIR, wrap-up of MASDIR discussion

15:15-15:45 - MIG overview and discussion

15:45-16:00 - Summarize action items; closing remarks                            

Organizational Members business meeting

PID types

Webcon: I don't think web conferencing will be viable for our session as we plan to have lots of discussion and very minimal presentation and Q&A.

So no, we certainly don't need it.

The PID Information Types WG session will focus on extracting an initial set of types from the use cases that have been gathered from various communities so far. The use case documents need to be examined in more detail and recurring themes must be identified that can be used to define an initial set of types during the session. Furthermore, in the session we will work on the high-level architecture of the API and sort out the roles of various stakeholders that are important for practical adoption. Activities during the session will be creative, technically detailed and focused on solving practical problems.

Practical Policy

Webcon: At the moment, the attendance for the Practical Policy Working Group is

very light.  We hope to increase participation through web conferencing.

We could do this through one of our laptops and the RDA web conferencing

tool.

The Practical Policy sessions on Tuesday 12:15-13:15 and 14:00-16:00 will cover an introduction to policy-based data management, participation in the group, and discussions of mapping English language rules to policies, organization of testbeds, review of replication policies, categorization of policies, and next steps.

https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/practical-policy-wg.html

Preservation e-Infrastructure

 
"The Preservation e-Infrastructures session will review the current status of relevant ongoing work together with the documents and plans which have been collected. Short presentations will be made by participants, followed by discussions. In the final period of the session a number of core commonalities in concepts and approaches should be identified, on which to develop the subsequent work of the group.
 
A webcon should allow those not able to attend in person to contribute to the discussions."

Research Data Provenance

RDA for Newcomers

This session provides an overview of the RDA and how members can get involved. Representatives from the Secretariat, Council, and Technical Advisory Board will  summarize the RDA organizational structure, governance, and Working and Interest groups. They explain how to join and start RDA groups and how to use RDA tools. There will be ample time for questions and discussion.

RDA/WDS Certification (with Global registry of trusted data repositories and services)

https://rd-alliance.org/filedepot/folder/150?fid=177 

 

RDA/WDS Publishing Data

Webcon: Useful option but probably not essential

 

 
RDA/WDS Publishing Data Subgroup: Services

Webcon: Useful option but probably not essential

RDA/WDS Publishing Data Subgroup: Workflows

Webcon: Useful option but probably not essential

 
See the whole Publishing Data series at https://rd-alliance.org/filedepot/folder/150?fid=193 

RDA Colloquium

This session will be conducted in two segments with participation in both segments by invitation only.  We invite government representatives of current and prospective RDA Colloquium government agencies to meet in the first session from 9:00 to 9:45am to discuss shared interests in data infrastructure and global cooperation.  We invite the members of the RDA Council to joint these government representatives for the second session to be held from 9:55 to 11am to discuss interactions between the Council and the Colloquium.

Toxicogenomics Interoperability

Webcon: would like web conference capability.

https://rd-alliance.org/filedepot/folder/150?fid=178

 

Wednesday

Plenary VI Community Discussion

Brief intro to P4

Discussion

P3

Closing words

 

Cloud Computing and Data Analysis Training for the Developing World

          for what it's worth we will not require web conferencing.

Title :- Proposal to form a working group on cloud computing provision for developing world science.

At this point cloud computing presents an opportunity for developing world science to side-step their infrastructural difficulties. Through access to large amounts of computing and public data sets, developing world science could make cutting-edge contributions to Science in general and to the domains that are of importance to them. The key difficulties are the financial resources to accessing cloud computing platforms and the relevant teaching materials to get them started. The working group we propose will have three goals.

In the first instance  financial models for cloud computing use will be developed so operational expenditure can be fully understood. Teaching materials for data science and cloud computing will be put together and finally a proposal for a fully funded sustainable cloud computing platform for developing world science will be developed.

Data Citation Harmonization (@ NAS)

https://www.rd-alliance.org/filedepot/folder/150?fid=184

 

Digital Practices in History and Ethnography IG

RDA’s Digital Practices in History and Ethnography Interest Group was formed in summer 2013, extending from conversation over many years responsive to an array of developments – in the American Anthropological Association around open access issues, for example, within the museum community, and around projects such as Open Folklore, Digital Himalaya and Dissertation Reviews.  We are just beginning to enroll members, identify issues for discussion and lay out a work process.  This session will be used to develop a work process and plan for the coming year, giving special attention consideration to the ways this group can interrelated with other RDA groups.  Members of other groups are welcome. We especially welcome participation by those interested in the special data challenges of the humanities and interpretive social sciences.  Data in this area are heterogeneous, often qualitative, found and difficult to categorize, share and integrate.  Flexible ontologies, workflows and modes of representation are needed, recognizing the special importance of evolving methodologies and research designs as interpretive research progresses.  Deep interdisciplinary collaboration will be required to advance data practices, standards, analytic tools and infrastructure in history, ethnology and allied fields – with transformative implications for both the humanities and data science.

Libraries and Research Data

Technical Advisory Board Business Meeting

Working Group Chairs meeting