New title of the group:
Interoperability of Observable Property Descriptions WG
Meeting objectives of the BoF session for the RDA 13th Plenary meeting:
The main purpose of this meeting is to create an official RDA working group under the umbrella of VSSIG (Vocabulary and Semantic Services Interest Group). The objective of the group is:
Improve research data interoperability through the harmonization of observable property descriptions with community agreed semantic model and existing terminologies
Collect research observation use cases suitable to demonstrate the value of a common approach
Review existing semantic models for observable properties
Evaluate strengths and weaknesses of the different semantic models using the selected use cases
Based on this review and analysis develop a community consensus for the semantic modelling of observable properties
(Analyse the applicability in other languages)
Evaluate suitable terminologies with atomic terms needed to describe observable properties according to the semantic model
Test the semantic model with the selected terminologies on the collected use cases
Compile best practices for semantic model usage
Develop alignments of the semantic model with alternative related models
Inform and collaborate with other relevant efforts (e.g. schema.org, W3C)
Potential case studies of implementations of the common model
For the envisaged working group the identification of terminologies and the alignment effort (steps 6 and 7) is limited to the observable properties. A further working group as follow up could continue work on topics such as observation and measurement methods, devices, and units if desired.
Specific objectives for the meeting are:
Presentation, discussion and general agreement with the objectives of the case statement
Identification of additional partners, especially from beyond the European Union, and of task leads
G. Moncoiffe (10 min):
- Motivation - Why we want to harmonize descriptions of observational data
- Summary of activities so far in the informal group
- Presentation of outputs of the WG, as proposed in the draft case statement
Lightning talks from other RDA groups 3 min each (30 min):
- Dimitris Koureas: Biodiversity Data Integration IG
- Jane Wyngard: Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems’ Data IG
- Helen Glaves: Marine Data Harmonization IG
- Kerstin Lehnert: Physical Samples IG
- Tobias Weigel: Data Type Registries WG/Data Fabric IG
- Amy Nurnberger: Education and Training on handling of research data IG
- Thomas Jejkal: Research Data Repository Interoperability WG
- Fotis Psomopoulos: Using Schema.org and enriching metadata to enable/boost FAIRness on research resource BoF
Each of the ligthning talk should address following questions:
- Parameters: Which sort of parameters/properties do you deal with?
- Vocabularies: Do you use controlled vocabularies to describe these?
- Strategies: What, if any, is your strategy to reconcile redundancies, synonymy/near-synonymy across vocabularies? And how do you deal with complex properties such as monthly mean dissolved lead (ppb) in water?
- Expectations: What do you expect from a harmonizing parameter description working group?
Discussion (facilitated by Mike Brown & John Watkins, wrapped up by Mark Schildhauer, John Graybeal taking notes – 50 min)
Topics: tasks, additional partners and task leads identification