Skip to main content

Notice

The new RDA web platform is still being rolled out. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Please report bugs, broken links and provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Stay updated about the web site milestones at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/.

RDA Geospatial IG – Update

  • Creator
    Discussion
  • #101253

    Dear Co-chairs
    We are contacting you with regard to your RDA Geospatial IG, more specifically to seek clarification on the Group’s level of activity. We note that the Group has not had a working session at an RDA Plenary since Plenary 11 and we have not seen any activity on the group page for some time.
    The RDA wants groups to be active during their lifespan. At this point, your group looks like it is inactive and may need to be retired. However, we would be happy to support you in re-invigorating the group if you think this makes sense.
    Please respond to this email by 12th August 2021 and let us know your preference. Of course, if you have any questions, we would be happy to answer them.
    Thank you very much!
    Best wishes
    RDA Secretariat

Page 1 of 2
  • Author
    Replies
  • #129456

    Dear secretariat,
    following several years with all sorts of attempts to activating the member body
    we had to accept that active member body participation is not achievable in this
    setup. Hence, I suggest to retire. However, this is only my personal view, and
    the co-chairs may wish to continue with the group and activate it.
    my 2 cents,
    Peter

    Dr. Peter Baumann
    – Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen
    https://www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann
    mail: ***@***.***-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    – Executive Director, rasdaman GmbH Bremen (HRB 26793)
    https://rasdaman.com, mail: ***@***.***
    tel: 0800-rasdaman, fax: 0800-rasdafax, mobile: +49-173-5837882
    “Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata.” (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)

  • #129455

    Dear all,
    I agree with Peter’s assessment, the Geospatial IG has not been active and
    we all seem to have limited time.
    It also does not help that there is a “competing” IG
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/esiprda-earth-space-and-environmental
    …in theory a good idea, but in practice confusing as we are all competing
    for limited attention spans and resources.
    Unless there is some way to “merge” the 2 IGs, I would suggest retiring
    Geospatial IG
    Regards,
    Seraphim
    On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 at 14:42, pebau via Geospatial IG <
    ***@***.***-groups.org> wrote:
    Dear all,
    I agree with Peter’s assessment, the Geospatial IG has not been active and
    we all seem to have limited time.
    It also does not help that there is a “competing” IG
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/esiprda-earth-space-and-environmental
    …in theory a good idea, but in practice confusing as we are all competing
    for limited attention spans and resources.
    Unless there is some way to “merge” the 2 IGs, I would suggest retiring
    Geospatial IG
    Regards,
    Seraphim
    On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 at 14:42, pebau via Geospatial IG <
    ***@***.***-groups.org> wrote:
    > Dear secretariat,
    >
    > following several years with all sorts of attempts to activating the
    > member body we had to accept that active member body participation is not
    > achievable in this setup.
    >

  • #129454

    Yes,
    We will look at ways to reinvigorate…
    What is needed to keep us going?
    Thanks,
    Dr. Branch
    On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 11:25 AM Secretariat via Geospatial IG <
    ***@***.***-groups.org> wrote:

  • #129453

    Hi,
    With respect, a spatial / geospatial component cuts across the vast majority of scientific / research data, a bit like having an “Integer IG”. The group would need to have a more unique mission in order for it to be worth time from other geospatially oriented groups.
    There are both geospatial interoperability issues with much of the research (meta)data out there, and issues of effective research collaboration for geospatial data scientists. An IG charter that called out these issues, identified important relationships with other groups (such as the OGC University DWG or OGC-W3C SDW Interest Group to pick random examples), and specific goals such as advancement of O&M / SOSA / SSN / GeoSPARQL in research data might go someways towards activating the rather extensive membership list with which the Geospatial IG is blessed.
    Best Regards,
    Josh
    Josh Lieberman, Ph.D.
    Director Innovation Programs | Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
    Office: +1-617-431-6431 | @geospatialogist
    ***@***.*** | ogc.org | @opengeospatial

  • #129452

    Dear all
    As one of the co-chairs of the Earth, Space and Environmental sciences IG (ESES-IG) I would like to point out that the “space” in our title, refers to “Outer Space”, that is planetary, atmospheric, climate etc sciences. It is a term that is commonly accepted in the Solid Earth Science and Geophysics Community.
    It is somewhat a legacy title because both the American Geophysical Union and the European Geosciences Union (i.e., AGU and EGU) both have science divisions called “Earth and Space Science Informatics”.
    In the initial set up meetings of the ESES-IG this difference was made quite clear to then members of the Geospatial IG and to the TAB.
    I really do not believe there is any real overlap between the two groups, other than nearly all Solid Earth, planetary and atmospheric data does have a ‘geospatial component’ to it!
    Being more precise about how that ‘geospatial component’ is determined and expressed to me is the role of the Geospatial IG. And that ‘geospatial component’ is relevant to so many other IGs and WGs!
    Take care
    Lesley
    From: on behalf of JoshLieberman via Geospatial IG
    Reply to: “***@***.***
    Date: Thursday, 22 July 2021 at 4:02 am
    To: “***@***.***” , Geospatial IG
    Cc: “***@***.***-foundation.org” , Peter Baumann
    , “***@***.***” , “***@***.***” , “***@***.***” , MIngfang Wu
    Subject: Re: [rda-geospatial-ig] RDA Geospatial IG – Update
    Hi,
    With respect, a spatial / geospatial component cuts across the vast majority of scientific / research data, a bit like having an “Integer IG”. The group would need to have a more unique mission in order for it to be worth time from other geospatially oriented groups.
    There are both geospatial interoperability issues with much of the research (meta)data out there, and issues of effective research collaboration for geospatial data scientists. An IG charter that called out these issues, identified important relationships with other groups (such as the OGC University DWG or OGC-W3C SDW Interest Group to pick random examples), and specific goals such as advancement of O&M / SOSA / SSN / GeoSPARQL in research data might go someways towards activating the rather extensive membership list with which the Geospatial IG is blessed.
    Best Regards,
    Josh
    Josh Lieberman, Ph.D.
    Director Innovation Programs | Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
    Office: +1-617-431-6431 | @geospatialogist
    ***@***.*** | ogc.org | @opengeospatial
    On Jul 21, 2021, at 12:53 PM, GeoEducator via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Yes,
    We will look at ways to reinvigorate…
    What is needed to keep us going?
    Thanks,
    Dr. Branch
    On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 11:25 AM Secretariat via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Dear Co-chairs
    We are contacting you with regard to your RDA Geospatial IG, more specifically to seek clarification on the Group’s level of activity. We note that the Group has not had a working session at an RDA Plenary since Plenary 11 and we have not seen any activity on the group page for some time.
    The RDA wants groups to be active during their lifespan. At this point, your group looks like it is inactive and may need to be retired. However, we would be happy to support you in re-invigorating the group if you think this makes sense.
    Please respond to this email by 12th August 2021 and let us know your preference. Of course, if you have any questions, we would be happy to answer them.
    Thank you very much!
    Best wishes
    RDA Secretariat

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

  • #129451

    Dear all,
    I feel Josh gave some good directions I feel also should be accounted
    for in the RDA Geospatial IG. Geospatial / Interoperabiliy work is done
    on many levels across many forums, but in particular within the OGC and
    OSGEO communities. These are nicely connected. There are many
    developments happening in other places which are of interest to general
    geospatial data in research. The focus on geospatial in research data
    should be brought out more and the purpose of the IG – is it
    communication? Standards and tech are developed elsewhere to be honest,
    but supporting those groups/communities with the requirements identified
    in particular in the research domain would be helpful, I believe. Every
    now and then Data Management Plan recommendations and metadata
    provision, use cases/best practices, those things could be worked on and
    updated on regular basis?
    Best regards,
    Alex

  • #129450

    Dear Co-chairs, all
    Based on your discussions and some positive responses towards reinvigorating the Group we would like to suggest you consider putting together and submitting a refreshed charter for the Interest Group.
    Let us know if we can be of any help.
    Best wishes
    RDA Secretariat
    ________________________________
    From: ***@***.***-groups.org on behalf of Lesley Wyborn via Geospatial IG
    Sent: 21 July 2021 20:59
    To: ***@***.*** ; ***@***.*** ; Geospatial IG
    Cc: Secretariat ; ***@***.***-university.de
    ; ***@***.*** ; ***@***.*** ; ***@***.*** ; ***@***.***
    Subject: Re: [rda-geospatial-ig] RDA Geospatial IG – Update
    Dear all
    As one of the co-chairs of the Earth, Space and Environmental sciences IG (ESES-IG) I would like to point out that the “space” in our title, refers to “Outer Space”, that is planetary, atmospheric, climate etc sciences. It is a term that is commonly accepted in the Solid Earth Science and Geophysics Community.
    It is somewhat a legacy title because both the American Geophysical Union and the European Geosciences Union (i.e., AGU and EGU) both have science divisions called “Earth and Space Science Informatics”.
    In the initial set up meetings of the ESES-IG this difference was made quite clear to then members of the Geospatial IG and to the TAB.
    I really do not believe there is any real overlap between the two groups, other than nearly all Solid Earth, planetary and atmospheric data does have a ‘geospatial component’ to it!
    Being more precise about how that ‘geospatial component’ is determined and expressed to me is the role of the Geospatial IG. And that ‘geospatial component’ is relevant to so many other IGs and WGs!
    Take care
    Lesley
    From: on behalf of JoshLieberman via Geospatial IG
    Reply to: “***@***.***
    Date: Thursday, 22 July 2021 at 4:02 am
    To: “***@***.***” , Geospatial IG
    Cc: “***@***.***-foundation.org” , Peter Baumann
    , “***@***.***” , “***@***.***” , “***@***.***” , MIngfang Wu
    Subject: Re: [rda-geospatial-ig] RDA Geospatial IG – Update
    Hi,
    With respect, a spatial / geospatial component cuts across the vast majority of scientific / research data, a bit like having an “Integer IG”. The group would need to have a more unique mission in order for it to be worth time from other geospatially oriented groups.
    There are both geospatial interoperability issues with much of the research (meta)data out there, and issues of effective research collaboration for geospatial data scientists. An IG charter that called out these issues, identified important relationships with other groups (such as the OGC University DWG or OGC-W3C SDW Interest Group to pick random examples), and specific goals such as advancement of O&M / SOSA / SSN / GeoSPARQL in research data might go someways towards activating the rather extensive membership list with which the Geospatial IG is blessed.
    Best Regards,
    Josh
    Josh Lieberman, Ph.D.
    Director Innovation Programs | Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
    Office: +1-617-431-6431 | @geospatialogist
    ***@***.*** | ogc.org | @opengeospatial
    On Jul 21, 2021, at 12:53 PM, GeoEducator via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Yes,
    We will look at ways to reinvigorate…
    What is needed to keep us going?
    Thanks,
    Dr. Branch
    On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 11:25 AM Secretariat via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Dear Co-chairs
    We are contacting you with regard to your RDA Geospatial IG, more specifically to seek clarification on the Group’s level of activity. We note that the Group has not had a working session at an RDA Plenary since Plenary 11 and we have not seen any activity on the group page for some time.
    The RDA wants groups to be active during their lifespan. At this point, your group looks like it is inactive and may need to be retired. However, we would be happy to support you in re-invigorating the group if you think this makes sense.
    Please respond to this email by 12th August 2021 and let us know your preference. Of course, if you have any questions, we would be happy to answer them.
    Thank you very much!
    Best wishes
    RDA Secretariat

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

  • #129449

    many good thoughts here indeed!
    But essentially IMHO it boils down to:
    many good thoughts here indeed!
    But essentially IMHO it boils down to:
    On 21.07.21 18:53, GeoEducator via Geospatial IG wrote:
    > Yes,
    >
    > We will look at ways to reinvigorate…
    >
    > What is needed to keep us going?
    an active membership body.
    best,
    Peter
    PS: Additionally, in my case no funding agency currently supports work of ours
    in RDA.

  • #129304

    Dear Co-chairs
    I was wondering if you have been able to come to a decision as to the best way to move forward with the Geospatial IG? Last summer it did seem possible that the group could be revived but perhaps you have reached a different outcome in the meantime.
    Could you kindly update us?
    Many thanks,
    Bridget
    RDA Secretariat
    ________________________________
    From: ***@***.***-groups.org on behalf of pebau via Geospatial IG
    Sent: 22 July 2021 13:39
    To: ***@***.*** ; Secretariat ; Geospatial IG
    Cc: ***@***.*** ; ***@***.*** ; ***@***.*** ; ***@***.***
    Subject: Re: [rda-geospatial-ig] RDA Geospatial IG – Update
    many good thoughts here indeed!
    But essentially IMHO it boils down to:
    On 21.07.21 18:53, GeoEducator via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Yes,
    We will look at ways to reinvigorate…
    What is needed to keep us going?
    an active membership body.
    best,
    Peter
    PS: Additionally, in my case no funding agency currently supports work of ours in RDA.
    Thanks,
    Dr. Branch
    On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 11:25 AM Secretariat via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Dear Co-chairs
    We are contacting you with regard to your RDA Geospatial IG, more specifically to seek clarification on the Group’s level of activity. We note that the Group has not had a working session at an RDA Plenary since Plenary 11 and we have not seen any activity on the group page for some time.
    The RDA wants groups to be active during their lifespan. At this point, your group looks like it is inactive and may need to be retired. However, we would be happy to support you in re-invigorating the group if you think this makes sense.
    Please respond to this email by 12th August 2021 and let us know your preference. Of course, if you have any questions, we would be happy to answer them.
    Thank you very much!
    Best wishes
    RDA Secretariat

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

    Dr. Peter Baumann
    – Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen
    https://www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann
    mail: ***@***.***-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    – Executive Director, rasdaman GmbH Bremen (HRB 26793)
    https://rasdaman.com, mail: ***@***.***
    tel: 0800-rasdaman, fax: 0800-rasdafax, mobile: +49-173-5837882
    “Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata.” (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)

  • #129150

    It is very hard to keep up with both groups. But I am seeing cloud and open
    source sweeping thru big data processing with netcdf results…
    With Sedona used by NASA, great debate coming in spatial data in federated
    repository between ESRI GIS community and open source climate data folks …
    We need a Sputnik moment in terms of our pipelines and public awareness…
    We got that large seaweed bloom effort and no policy to address it.
    Perhaps we all are suffering from too much data. What healthy science
    debates are there now, without the politics…
    Dewayne
    On Wed, Jul 21, 2021, 6:41 PM s.alvanides via Geospatial IG <
    ***@***.***-groups.org> wrote:

  • #129149

    Dear all
    As a chair of the ESES-IG I would like to point out that when we established the ESES IG there was definite;u confusion of the term “Space” in the ESES IG title.
    We used the Tem “Earth, Space and Environmental Science” to match their usage within both EGU and AGU.
    In AGU and EGU ‘Space’ means planetary science, not geospatial and we took great pains to make sure this differentiation quite clear.
    The ESES-IG has been running since RDA P10 in Montreal in 2017, and I don’t think we have ever had a presentation or discussed ‘Geospatial Data’ in the terms the Geospatial IG in any of the subsequent plenaries. The ESES-IG always tried to make it clear that Geospatial issues belonged with the Geospatial IG.
    I have copied Shelley Stall and Kristina Vrouwenvelder into this reply. They are starting an Earth and Environmental Community of Practice within RDA – may be that could be a temporary home for Geospatial Data IG?
    Take care
    Lesley
    From: GeoEducator via Geospatial IG
    Date: Wednesday, 12 April 2023 at 8:50 pm
    To: ***@***.*** , Geospatial IG
    Cc: Peter Baumann
    , Secretariat , ***@***.*** , ***@***.*** , ***@***.***
    Subject: Re: [rda-geospatial-ig] RDA Geospatial IG – Update
    It is very hard to keep up with both groups. But I am seeing cloud and open source sweeping thru big data processing with netcdf results…
    With Sedona used by NASA, great debate coming in spatial data in federated repository between ESRI GIS community and open source climate data folks …
    We need a Sputnik moment in terms of our pipelines and public awareness…
    We got that large seaweed bloom effort and no policy to address it.
    Perhaps we all are suffering from too much data. What healthy science debates are there now, without the politics…
    Dewayne
    On Wed, Jul 21, 2021, 6:41 PM s.alvanides via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Dear all,
    I agree with Peter’s assessment, the Geospatial IG has not been active and we all seem to have limited time.
    It also does not help that there is a “competing” IG https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/esiprda-earth-space-and-environmental
    …in theory a good idea, but in practice confusing as we are all competing for limited attention spans and resources.
    Unless there is some way to “merge” the 2 IGs, I would suggest retiring Geospatial IG
    Regards,
    Seraphim
    On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 at 14:42, pebau via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Dear secretariat,
    following several years with all sorts of attempts to activating the member body we had to accept that active member body participation is not achievable in this setup.
    Hence, I suggest to retire. However, this is only my personal view, and the co-chairs may wish to continue with the group and activate it.
    my 2 cents,
    Peter
    On 12.07.21 17:24, Secretariat wrote:
    Dear Co-chairs
    We are contacting you with regard to your RDA Geospatial IG, more specifically to seek clarification on the Group’s level of activity. We note that the Group has not had a working session at an RDA Plenary since Plenary 11 and we have not seen any activity on the group page for some time.
    The RDA wants groups to be active during their lifespan. At this point, your group looks like it is inactive and may need to be retired. However, we would be happy to support you in re-invigorating the group if you think this makes sense.
    Please respond to this email by 12th August 2021 and let us know your preference. Of course, if you have any questions, we would be happy to answer them.
    Thank you very much!
    Best wishes
    RDA Secretariat

    Dr. Peter Baumann
    – Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen
    https://www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann
    mail: ***@***.***-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    – Executive Director, rasdaman GmbH Bremen (HRB 26793)
    https://rasdaman.com, mail: ***@***.***
    tel: 0800-rasdaman, fax: 0800-rasdafax, mobile: +49-173-5837882
    “Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata.” (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

  • #129148

    Hello RDA Geospatial IG!
    I’m writing to make sure you know you are welcome to help us form the Earth, space, and environmental sciences Community of Practice (CoP). We are very early in this process and will start writing the charter very soon. You can help us determine how the Geospatial community is represented…directly or in collaboration – or maybe something different.
    We fully respect the effort in keeping an IG active and vibrant. We hope your IG has meaningful discussions about topics to discuss/tackle. We are very open to collaborating with you as we shepherd a potentially new CoP in RDA.
    Best regards,
    Shelley
    Shelley Stall
    VP, Open Science Leadership
    202-777-7307(O) | (240) 676-0774(M)
    2000 Florida Ave. N.W. | Washington, D.C.20009
    Pronouns: She/Her; ORCID: 0000-0003-2926-8353
    From: Lesley Wyborn via Geospatial IG
    Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 7:14 AM
    To: ***@***.*** , ***@***.*** , Geospatial IG , Shelley Stall , Kristina Vrouwenvelder, Ph.D.
    Cc: Peter Baumann
    , Secretariat , ***@***.*** , ***@***.*** , ***@***.***
    Subject: Re: [rda-geospatial-ig] RDA Geospatial IG – Update
    Dear all
    As a chair of the ESES-IG I would like to point out that when we established the ESES IG there was definite;u confusion of the term “Space” in the ESES IG title.
    We used the Tem “Earth, Space and Environmental Science” to match their usage within both EGU and AGU.
    In AGU and EGU ‘Space’ means planetary science, not geospatial and we took great pains to make sure this differentiation quite clear.
    The ESES-IG has been running since RDA P10 in Montreal in 2017, and I don’t think we have ever had a presentation or discussed ‘Geospatial Data’ in the terms the Geospatial IG in any of the subsequent plenaries. The ESES-IG always tried to make it clear that Geospatial issues belonged with the Geospatial IG.
    I have copied Shelley Stall and Kristina Vrouwenvelder into this reply. They are starting an Earth and Environmental Community of Practice within RDA – may be that could be a temporary home for Geospatial Data IG?
    Take care
    Lesley
    From: GeoEducator via Geospatial IG
    Date: Wednesday, 12 April 2023 at 8:50 pm
    To: ***@***.*** , Geospatial IG
    Cc: Peter Baumann
    , Secretariat , ***@***.*** , ***@***.*** , ***@***.***
    Subject: Re: [rda-geospatial-ig] RDA Geospatial IG – Update
    It is very hard to keep up with both groups. But I am seeing cloud and open source sweeping thru big data processing with netcdf results…
    With Sedona used by NASA, great debate coming in spatial data in federated repository between ESRI GIS community and open source climate data folks …
    We need a Sputnik moment in terms of our pipelines and public awareness…
    We got that large seaweed bloom effort and no policy to address it.
    Perhaps we all are suffering from too much data. What healthy science debates are there now, without the politics…
    Dewayne
    On Wed, Jul 21, 2021, 6:41 PM s.alvanides via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Dear all,
    I agree with Peter’s assessment, the Geospatial IG has not been active and we all seem to have limited time.
    It also does not help that there is a “competing” IG https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/esiprda-earth-space-and-environmental
    …in theory a good idea, but in practice confusing as we are all competing for limited attention spans and resources.
    Unless there is some way to “merge” the 2 IGs, I would suggest retiring Geospatial IG
    Regards,
    Seraphim
    On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 at 14:42, pebau via Geospatial IG wrote:
    Dear secretariat,
    following several years with all sorts of attempts to activating the member body we had to accept that active member body participation is not achievable in this setup.
    Hence, I suggest to retire. However, this is only my personal view, and the co-chairs may wish to continue with the group and activate it.
    my 2 cents,
    Peter
    On 12.07.21 17:24, Secretariat wrote:
    Dear Co-chairs
    We are contacting you with regard to your RDA Geospatial IG, more specifically to seek clarification on the Group’s level of activity. We note that the Group has not had a working session at an RDA Plenary since Plenary 11 and we have not seen any activity on the group page for some time.
    The RDA wants groups to be active during their lifespan. At this point, your group looks like it is inactive and may need to be retired. However, we would be happy to support you in re-invigorating the group if you think this makes sense.
    Please respond to this email by 12th August 2021 and let us know your preference. Of course, if you have any questions, we would be happy to answer them.
    Thank you very much!
    Best wishes
    RDA Secretariat

    Dr. Peter Baumann
    – Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen
    https://www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann
    mail: ***@***.***-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    – Executive Director, rasdaman GmbH Bremen (HRB 26793)
    https://rasdaman.com, mail: ***@***.***
    tel: 0800-rasdaman, fax: 0800-rasdafax, mobile: +49-173-5837882
    “Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata.” (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

  • #129146

    Dear Shelley & Lesley,
    thank you for explaining opportunities. This should be a great opportunity for
    Seraphim Alvanides (on cc) being a junior researcher (or was, some time back –
    apologies if I am wrong today) while I recently was just acting as senior
    backup. I am available to continue as such a “backend”, therefore I suggest let
    us await the resonance of the GeoSpatial IG chairs team to see whether what you
    suggest materializes.
    best regards,
    Peter
    PS: of course everybody from the IG membership body is cordially invited as well
    to step up.

    Dr. Peter Baumann
    – Professor of Computer Science, Constructor (formerly Jacobs) University, Bremen
    https://peter-baumann.org,https://l-sis.org
    mail:***@***.***
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    – Executive Director, rasdaman GmbH Bremen (HRB 26793)
    https://rasdaman.com, mail:***@***.***
    tel: 0800-rasdaman, fax: 0800-rasdafax, mobile: +49-173-5837882
    “Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata.” (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)

  • #129145

    Hello, I got your previous email because I am a Geospatial IG (much too
    silent) member.
    I wonder if and where I could best fit in, with my project to build a
    “digital twin” of the (Western European) rail network with the idea that
    “the digital twin has memories, too”. You may see WERMA project here:
    https://www.timemachine.eu/ltm-projects/werma-west-europe-rail-map-archive
    The technology is based on the geocoding of stations, or major railway
    works, to provide direct online access to Internet data related to this
    same place. It’s easy with Wikipedia pages. Work is underway to collect
    as much VGI (volunteered geographic information) as possible, in
    particular heritage data.
    If you have any advice, I would be delighted.
    Robert

    Robert Jeansoulin PhD. (ENSEEIHT-1974)
    retired DR-CNRS. Univ.Gustave Eiffel (ex. U.Marne-La-Vallée/UPEM)
    (nb: robert.jeansoulin at gmail.com has been hacked. Beware!)

  • #129144

    Robert,
    Very good to hear from you. I did just have a conversation about the positioning of Digital Twins in RDA. I’m adding Justin Buck and Connie Clare for awareness to connect these conversations. It might be interesting to hold a broader discussion and determine possible interest.
    If it makes sense…and I’m not sure I’m the right person to navigate this…I’d be open to Digital Twins that feel aligned to the Earth, space/planetary, environmental sciences to have a home with that Community of Practice (CoP). But that might not be their primary alignment. It may be better for there to be more of a twins home where those concerns can be supported.
    Best regards,
    Shelley
    Shelley Stall
    VP, Open Science Leadership
    202-777-7307(O) | (240) 676-0774(M)
    2000 Florida Ave. N.W. | Washington, D.C.20009
    Pronouns: She/Her; ORCID: 0000-0003-2926-8353
    From: jeansoulin via Geospatial IG
    Date: Sunday, April 16, 2023 at 5:57 AM
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-geospatial-ig] RDA Geospatial IG – Update
    Hello, I got your previous email because I am a Geospatial IG (much too
    silent) member.
    I wonder if and where I could best fit in, with my project to build a
    “digital twin” of the (Western European) rail network with the idea that
    “the digital twin has memories, too”. You may see WERMA project here:
    https://www.timemachine.eu/ltm-projects/werma-west-europe-rail-map-archive
    The technology is based on the geocoding of stations, or major railway
    works, to provide direct online access to Internet data related to this
    same place. It’s easy with Wikipedia pages. Work is underway to collect
    as much VGI (volunteered geographic information) as possible, in
    particular heritage data.
    If you have any advice, I would be delighted.
    Robert

    Robert Jeansoulin PhD. (ENSEEIHT-1974)
    retired DR-CNRS. Univ.Gustave Eiffel (ex. U.Marne-La-Vallée/UPEM)
    (nb: robert.jeansoulin at gmail.com has been hacked. Beware!)

    Full post:
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/rda-geospatial-ig-u
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post:
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/73834

Page 1 of 2

Log in to reply.