Forms of RDA Outputs
RDA Outputs are the technical and social infrastructure solutions developed by RDA Working Groups or Interest Groups that enable data sharing, exchange, and interoperability. These Outputs have an important impact in two areas: solving problems, and incorporation and/or adoption in infrastructure environments by individuals, projects, and organizations. As an organization, RDA's goal is to expand awareness and adoption of these Outputs, and hence their impact, within all regions of the world.
RDA Outputs have the following classifications:
- RDA Recommendations - produced by RDA WGs
- Supporting Outputs - produced by any RDA group
- Other Outputs - produced by any RDA group
These are described in more detail on the Outputs and Recommendations page.
RDA Recommendations are the official, endorsed results of RDA and considered our “flagship” Outputs. At the end of each Working Group (WG) lifecycle, the WG itself is responsible for delivering the Secretariat concrete results of its efforts in the form of specific tools, code, best practices, standards, etc. that will promote data sharing and exchange and increase data-driven innovation, also known as a Recommendation. After a successful review process, a Recommendation will be recognised and endorsed by the RDA.
The requirements and review process for Recommendations are described below, and also described in the Briefing Paper: Process for Endorsing RDA Recommendations on the Outputs Endorsement page.
Recommendation Submission Requirements
The WG should provide the Recommendation to the Secretariat in a non-proprietary, open-file and electronic format, together with the following information:
- A title and short description
- Maintenance and retirement plan (e.g.: the maintenance going forward will be taken over by an Interest Group, maintenance will be adopted by an external organization, etc.)
- Authorship information
- A basic metadata set or other metadata information in RDF/XML Dublin Core (the Secretariat can help with this)
- Licensing information (as applicable): Whether the Recommendation should be under a Creative Commons Attribution Only 4.0 license (CC-BY) or the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Public Domain Waiver (CC0)
If you have any questions about what to provide, please contact enquiries[at]rd-alliance.org.
Once all Recommendation submission requirements have been received from the WG, the Secretariat posts the Recommendation to the RDA Web site, assigns a DOI to the Recommendation Web page, and links the page to all related pages on the RDA site. The Secretariat then initiates the endorsement process outlined below
Recommendation Endorsement Process
- Community Review: The Secretariat opens the Recommendation for review by the RDA community by placing it in the RfC box on the home page. As with WG Case Statements and IG Charters, the duration of the community review phase is 1 month. The underlying question for the community is, "Does this output help further the RDA mission, and is it consistent with the principles of RDA?".
- OAB Commentary: In parallel with the Community Review, the OAB is invited to provide an expert commentary on the adoptability of the Recommendation, and whether this Recommendation furthers the RDA mission. Please note that there is no obligation on the OAB to provide commentary.
- Adoption report: Secretariat will ask the group chairs to provide contact details for two adopters of the Recommendation. A Secretariat member will then ask the adopters the following questions about their adoption experience:
- What is the level of adoption at your organisation? (E.g., pilot, production, ...)
- Do you plan to continue to use the Recommendation?
- Did you need to modify the Recommendation for your use?
- Can you give an estimate of how much time / effort you have spent on the adoption so far?
- What’s your overall experience? (E.g., Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor)
- Would you do it again?
- Council review: Council reviews the OAB commentary (if any), adoption report, and community responses, and detects the presence or absence of consensus. In the case of consensus, Council endorses the Recommendation.
Supporting Outputs Process
If you are interested in having an output from your IG or WG published as a Supporting Output, please contact enquiries[at]rd-alliance[dot]org. Supporting Outputs undergo a community review phase of one month.
If there are no significant objections by the end of the Community Review phase, the Supporting Outputs will be published on the “All Recommendations and Outputs” page (https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-and-outputs/all-recommendations-and-outputs).
Development and Distribution of Official RDA Outputs
Once the Outputs have been recognised and endorsed, the Secretariat will be responsible for announcing them to members and non-members via the following channels as appropriate:
- Press releases
- Website announcements
- RDA newsletter
- Journal articles
- Social media
- E-mail campaigns