Skip to main content

Notice

We are in the process of rolling out a soft launch of the RDA website, which includes a new member platform. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Visitors may encounter functionality issues with group pages, navigation, missing content, broken links, etc. As you explore the new site, please provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Thank you for your understanding and support as we work through all issues as quickly as possible. Stay updated about upcoming features and functionalities: https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/

RE: Updates from AIDV WG Deliverable 3 Team

• Creator
    Discussion

Francis Crawley
    Participant

Dear Kristy and AIDV-WG Delivery 3 Team,

What a wonderful report below reflecting such excellent work. It is flattering for the entire AIDV-WG.

Some thoughts:

Thank you for posting your slides to the AIDV-WG Repository on the RDA website. I take the liberty of sharing the richness of this correspondence with the entire AIDV-WG membership via the AIDV-WG pages (via ‘Posts’) on the RDA website to alert them to this report. [I trust this may be ok with you.]
    One suspects that many of the documents you will be reviewing will be the same as those consulted by the other Deliverable Teams, though indeed your focus and questions may also likely be different. A shared literature review document may be appropriate.
    It may be appropriate to consider the modalities of e-consent and data altruism in your work (likely you already are doing so). You might also consider consent in terms of specific populations (e.g., indigenous communities).
    It may be appropriate to consider the use of consent regarding digital objects in wider digital spaces beyond what we traditionally have thought of consent in health-related research / bioethics. In this context too, it may be worthwhile considering the difference between consent as an ethical concept/tool and as a legal concept/tool/’legal basis’ (e.g., this schism in the GDPR). You might also consider movements to ‘outsource consent’ to organisations/companies. Further, one might query the extent to which consent can actually do the work to which it is today assigned in the digital space.
    If I were to push you, I would say that it would be nice to see soon a tentative list of D3’s potential outputs.
    This report below and in the AIDV-WG’s ‘repository’ on the website is, it seems to me (perhaps with some small revisions), worthy of a digital publication. Specifically, you may consider publishing this and other outputs on Zenodo, particularly the Research Data Alliance – Related Documents collection in Zenodo. Here you can publish summaries (such below on behalf of the Deliverable 5 team), summaries of workshops, presentations (PowerPoints), datasets, papers, etc. All of our Deliverable Teams should be involved in this. We should also consider linking to and using OpenAIRE | Find and Share research as a publication and indexing platform for our work. Also consider FAIRsharing.org. As you likely know better than me, there are as well more platforms being developed. All of these can be linked to ORCID iD’s so that publications can be linked to the AIDV-WG, to RDA and EOSC-Future. People can have such publications easily included in their personal lists of publications and taken into account for their research assessments.
    I suggest that you add China to your list of countries to be reviewed. See below. I cc Yeyang, Hubert, and Alexander as they may be able to assist you.
    China Cybersecurity Law (in Chinese)
    China Data Security Law (in Chinese)
    China Personal Information Protection Law (PIPL) (in Chinese)
    I also suggest that you include the Eurasian Economic Union / CIS frameworks as well. I cc Valery here as she may be able to assist you.
    For consent, India is particularly important. I cc here Dr. Mathur, though I know she is terribly busy. I also cc Drs. Vasantha, Nandina, and Vina. The latter three are not (yet) members of the AIDV-WG and you might consider inviting them to join you.
    For Pakistan, Drs. Farah and Mariam can assist you.
    Perhaps consider too Australia’s frameworks and here specifically on consent
    These reports may also interest you
    New Report on Limits of “Consent” in China’s Data Protection Law – First in a Series for Joint Project with Asian Business Law Institute
    New Report on Limits of “Consent” in South Korea’s Data Protection Law
    New Report on Limits of “Consent” in Hong Kong’s Data Protection Law
    New Report on Limits of “Consent” in New Zealand’s Data Protection Law

This recent OECD Report may also interest you, particularly with regard to the ommission of the word ‘consent’. Frameworks for governments’ access to data and the use of AI are often left out of many discussions in ethics, human rights, law, and societal impacts of digital governance frameworks. The AIDV-WG may well want to consider this across all deliverables.
    You may also use these logos:

As you correctly indicated below, Claudia, Elif, and Manolya will facilitate the finalization of the AIDV-WG session at the RDA 20th Plenary Meeting. I suspect they will want to include work across all the deliverables as this work relates to the theme of the session. Your work is, again, excellent. I believe a concrete proposal from your side would be welcome.
    The following should also appear on the AIDV-WG’s publications:
    *The EOSC-Future project is co-funded by the European Union’s Horizon Programme call INFRAEOSC-03-2020 – Project ID 101017536. The Research Data Alliance (RDA) is funded by Horizon Europe as well as by other funding organisations (see here). The EOSC-Future / RDA Artificial Intelligence & Data Visitation Working Group (AIDV-WG) gratefully acknowledges the support provided by EOSC-Future and the RDA community, structures, and secretariat.

To respond to your specific questions:

Does the plan above align with expectations? Please feel free to suggest alternative approaches – we are very open to suggestions!
    à My thoughts are provided above. (Initial expectations are surpassed. You have generated more expectations.)
    Do you have any updates on the honorarium details for fellows? Luis inquired and I was unable to answer.
    à I have sent this evening the appointment letter as an AIDV-WG Fellow to Luis. I will send the same to the remaining fellows tomorrow. Should there then be questions, they will be welcomed.

Kind regards,

Francis (also on behalf of Elif, Claudia, and Tshiamo)

Francis P. Crawley
    Co-chair, EOSC-Future / RDA Artificial Intelligence & Data Visitation Working Group (AIDV-WG)

Sent: Friday, December 16, 2022 10:03 PM
    To: Francis P. Crawley ; Claudia Bauzer Medeiros (Brazil) ; Perihan Elif Ekmekci (Turkey)
    Cc: Manolya Şekerlisoy ; Anne Cambon-Thomsen (France) ; Gauthier Chassang ; Noémie Dubruel ; Luis Retanan
    Subject: Updates from AIDV WG Deliverable 3 Team

Dear Francis, Claudia, and Elif,

The D.3 team had our first official meeting with the whole team present today, and I’m writing to share a brief update to keep you in the loop.

Given the proposed scope of work for D.3 (attached and posted on the RDA website), our first course of action will be a rapid scoping review of current regulatory texts (laws, recommendations, guidelines, governmental agreements) related to AI/DV and informed consent.
    This scoping activity will not only contribute to the objectives outlined in our draft scope of work, but we could also present preliminary findings during the RDA Session in March. Our wonderful fellows, Noémie and Luis, will lead this work with guidance from Anne, Gauthier, and myself.

Scoping will occur at three levels:

Global/Supranational level – i.e. UN, OECD, etc.
    Continental level
    Country level

We will not cover every country individually before the RDA meeting,  but rather focus on the countries represented within our team (Canada, Philippines, France); we could do a deeper dive into specific countries later, as appropriate.
    We discussed the possibility of crowdsourcing information from the RDA community to identify relevant documents from other countries. Anne suggested this could happen immediately following the RDA Plenary session in Gothenburg during the Q&A/interactive portion – perhaps via online survey.

For the brief RDA Meeting presentation, we would summarize high-level findings (i.e. commonalities/key differences in guidelines/rules across documents), and identify potential gaps/areas for further development and research.

We have noted the January 9th deadline to send proposals to Claudia, Elif, and Manolya to facilitate the finalization of the session programme . Our understanding is that we would have 10 minutes to present, and for the January 9th deadline, the following would be useful:

Presentation Title
    Speaker(s): Likely Luis and/or Noémie
    A few brief bullet points to elaborate on the content to be covered

Please advise if you require any additional details.

A few questions for you:

Does the plan above align with expectations? Please feel free to suggest alternative approaches – we are very open to suggestions!
    Do you have any updates on the honorarium details for fellows? Luis inquired and I was unable to answer.

Many thanks and wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season!

Warmly,
    Kristy (on behalf of our D.3 team)

Kristy Hackett, PhD
    (She/Her/Hers)