Formed in 2013, since its inception the Interest Group on Agricultural Data (IGAD) has grown in community strength to over 180 members, becoming one of the RDA’s most prominent Thematic Groups.
IGAD is a domain-oriented group working on all issues related to global agriculture data. It represents stakeholders in managing data for agricultural research and innovation, including producing, aggregating and consuming data.
Beyond this IGAD promotes good practices in research with regard data sharing policies, data management plans, and data interoperability, and it is a forum for sharing experience and providing visibility to research and work in agricultural data.
One of IGAD’s main roles is to serve as a platform that leads to the creation of domain-specific Working Groups. To date one successful Working Group has formed under IGAD and two more are in their inception phase: the Wheat Data Interoperability Working Group and the Rice Data Interoperability and AgriSemantics discussion groups, all playing an active role at the most recent RDA 7P in Tokyo. Soil experts also came together in an IGAD pre-meeting at RDA P7. They are committed to partner with IGAD and are preparing a concept note to address some of the current issues on Soil Data Interoperability at the next GODAN summit.
- Wheat Data Interoperability Working Group
- Rice Data Interoperability
- On-farm Data Sharing
Birds of Feather Groups
- To promote good practices in the research domain: data sharing policies, data management plan, data interoperability
- To provide a platform for networking and cross-fertilization of research ideas in data management and interoperability
- To solicit and promote interactions and projects among the major international institutions and groups worldwide which work on agricultural research and innovation
- To achieve data interoperability
Events at RDA
The RDA holds its plenary meetings every six months at different locations around the world. Built around the RDA Working and Interest Group meetings the sessions are designed to consolidate the RDA’s work and that of its interest groups in building social and technological bridges towards open data sharing. IGAD’s role since its inception at the RDA Gothenburg has expanded with every successive Plenary. The outcomes of the Wheat Data Interoperability Group have proved to be a success and the challenge is now on to replicate those successes with the Rice Group.
IGAD has used the Plenary meetings as a place to reach out and forge new alliances with other groups, as well as creating new offshoot groups aimed at specific solutions. The Soil Group is one. At the RDA Plenary 7 IGAD also agreed to set up a new group to work on the five point action plan outlined by the Rice Data Group (see: Working Groups.)
During Plenary sessions IGAD has hosted a wide array of speakers and discussions and it continues to work alongside major international initiatives such as GODAN, GACS, CIARD, CGIAR, FAO of the UN, INRA, CYMMIT among others.
RDA 9th Plenary: 5th - 7th of April 2017 in Barcelona, Spain
RDA 7th Plenary: 1st - 3rd of March 2016 in Tokyo, Japan
- IGAD Pre-Meeting, 28th - 29th of February 2016
- Results of the IGAD Pre-Meeting RDA P7: adopting RDA outputs
- Joint Session between the RDA Interest Group on Agricultural Data (IGAD) & The Global Open Data in Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN)
RDA 6th Plenary: 21st - 25th of September 2015 in Paris, France
- Insights of the Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) Pre-Meeting and the RDA 6th Plenary Meeting
- Results of the IGAD Pre-Meeting RDA P6: moving forward
- Joint session of Agriculture Data Interest Group (IGAD) and Wheat Data Interoperability Working Group - “Working Groups in the Context of RDA Agricultural Data: What is next?”
RDA 5th Plenary: 8th - 11th of March 2015 in San Diego, California USA
- Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) at RDA, March 2015
- IG Agriculture Data Interoperability - P5 meeting session
- Joint Session: IG Agriculture Data Interoperability & WG Wheat Data Interoperability
RDA 4th Plenary: 22nd - 24th of September 2014 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
RDA 3rd Plenary: 26th - 28th of March 2014 in Dublin, Ireland
- RDA Plenary 3 - Wheat data interoperability WG meeting minutes
- Plenary 3 work session preparatory document of the WG Wheat Data Interoperability
RDA 2nd Plenary: 16th - 18th of September 2013 in Washington DC, US
Capacity development activities
IGAD has spearheaded two important capacity development initiatives. These include two introductory online MOOCS course on data management, principally aimed at learners in Latin America, and four Forums on Open Data and Open Science in Agriculture in Africa.
The MOOCS courses offer an introduction to themes of data management using examples from the international sphere and with a particular focus on data management research in fisheries and nutrition. As well as teaching how to define data the course looks at issues of data storage, sharing and long term preservation, highlighting the different resources available to researchers in data management. IGAD heads the course in conjunction with the FAO of the United Nations, Spain’s Polytechnic University of Valencia and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
The goal of the forums is to provide a platform for stakeholders in Africa to share knowledge on institutional and national initiatives aimed at enhancing the visibility, accessibility and usability of agricultural data and science, and their potential contribution to the realization of Africa’s sustainable development goals and the SDGs.
- Curso en Línea “Introducción a la Gestión de Datos de Investigación” and Experiencias con el curso en línea "Introducción a la Gestión de Datos de Investigación"
- 2ª Edición del Curso en línea “Introducción a la Gestión de Datos de Investigación”
Forums on Open Data and Open Science in Agriculture
- Kenya, June 2015
- Namibia, April 2016
- Tanzania, May 2016
- Ghana, July 2016