Formed in 2013, since its inception the Interest Group on Agricultural Data (IGAD) has grown in community strength to over 200 members, becoming one of the RDA’s most prominent Thematic Groups.
IGAD is a domain-oriented group working on all issues related to global agriculture data. It represents stakeholders in managing data for agricultural research and innovation, including producing, aggregating and consuming data.
Beyond this IGAD promotes good practices in research with regard data sharing policies, data management plans, and data interoperability, and it is a forum for sharing experience and providing visibility to research and work in agricultural data.
One of IGAD’s main roles is to serve as a platform that leads to the creation of domain-specific Working Groups. To date, five successful Working Groups (WGs) have been formed under IGAD, these are: Wheat Data Interoperability, Rice Data Interoperability, AgriSemantics, On-Farm Data Sharing and Capacity Development for Agricultural Data WGs. The groups play an active role at the RDA Plenaries.
- To promote good practices in the research domain: data sharing policies, data management plan, data interoperability
- To provide a platform for networking and cross-fertilization of research ideas in data management and interoperability
- To solicit and promote interactions and projects among the major international institutions and groups worldwide which work on agricultural research and innovation
- To achieve data interoperability
- Wheat Data Interoperability
- Rice Data Interoperability
- Capacity Development for Agricultural Data
Birds of Feather Groups
Events at RDA
The RDA holds its plenary meetings every six months at different locations around the world. Built around the RDA Working and Interest Group meetings the sessions are designed to consolidate the RDA’s work and that of its interest groups in building social and technological bridges towards open data sharing. IGAD’s role since its inception at the RDA Gothenburg has expanded with every successive Plenary. The outcomes of the Wheat Data Interoperability Group have proved to be a success and the challenge is now on to replicate those successes with other groups, e.g. the Rice Group.
IGAD has used the Plenary meetings as a place to reach out and forge new alliances with other groups, as well as creating new offshoot groups aimed at specific solutions. During Plenary sessions IGAD has hosted a wide array of speakers and discussions and it continues to work alongside major international initiatives among others.
- RDA P14. October 2019 in Helsinki (Finland) Agenda Recordings
- RDA P11. March 2018 in Berlin (Germany) Invitation and agenda, Insights
RDA P8. September 2017 in Denver (USA) Highlights
RDA P5. March 2015 in San Diego (USA) Agenda
RDA P4. September 2014 in Amsterdam (The Netherlands) Agenda
RDA P3. March 2014 in Dublin (Ireland)
RDA P2. September 2013 in Washington DC (USA)
RDA Webinar Series on Agriculture
At the last IGAD/RDA Plenary Meeting 14 at the University of Helsinki (Finland), the IGAD community agreed to start a webinar series to enable high quality presentations and discussions to happen even if we cannot all be together in person at RDA. The Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) exists to facilitate coordination and progress among a community of international data experts. These webinars will allow us keep up with cutting edge developments in agricultural data, and will encourage the free flow of ideas.
- ‘Global Long-term Experiments in Agriculture Network (GLTEN) Metadata Portal’ by Richard Ostler from the Rothamsted Research (United Kingdom).