Group: Research data needs of the Photon and Neutron Science community IG
Meeting Title: Container in scientific workflows and data preservation
Introduction: The IG (PaNSIG) aims to support their user communities in all aspects of data management, preservation and sharing as well as the scientific data analysis processes. The user communities of the PaN facilities are extremely diverse using an endless number of fairly complex scientific workflows. Containerizing scientific workflows can help leveraging deplyment and adaption to heterogenous environments and becomes increasingly popular at various facilities, scientific communities and developers.
The main objective of the meeting is to discuss current efforts, suitability of container in software and data preservation, short-comings and potential risks. Potential topics could be
- what is currently being done with what type of containers?
- suitability for software and data preservation or data sharing?
- suitability to capture provenance data? better reproducibility of science?
- would it make sense to federate container repositories?
- would it help to "certify" container?
- how to keep up with rapid developments?
Meeting agenda (very tentative):
1. Short introduction and reports from other groups
2. Short introduction to container concepts
3. short reports from facilities
Photon and Neutron Science facilities and users. It's an open session so anyone interested in use and mis-use of containers in data and software preservation, is heartily invited to join.